From: "Stephen Silver via Groups.Io" <ssilver996@...>
To: HOn3@groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 7, 2019 6:45:42 PM
Subject: [HOn3] Minimum Clearance

While I know the NMRA center to center recommended spacing, what does everyone use in yards for parallel tracks?  The standard 1.6xx
or something else?

Thanks in advance.
Stephen Silver
Chief Surveyor
Silver Creek & Mellow Gulch Railway Co.

Russ Norris

A rule of thumb (or a rule of fingers) is to leave enough space between tracks to allow for removing a car or locomotive without knocking  anything off the adjacent track.  I generally use 2 1/2 inches center to center.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, 9:45 PM Stephen Silver via Groups.Io <ssilver996=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
While I know the NMRA center to center recommended spacing, what does everyone use in yards for parallel tracks?  The standard 1.6xx
or something else?

Thanks in advance.
Stephen Silver
Chief Surveyor
Silver Creek & Mellow Gulch Railway Co.

Robert Bell

I used 2" center to center in my yards.  Time will tell if I went too narrow, but I thought it to be a good, round number.

Rob Bell
White Pass & Yukon Route
Hard Ridge Division
Waynesville, NC

Jeff Young

I use 2” centre-to-centre for sidings on curves, and 1-3/4” on straight sidings.  I’ve no yards.

Cheers,
Jeff.

On 8 Oct 2019, at 13:08, Robert Bell via Groups.Io <ionhoss@...> wrote:

I used 2" center to center in my yards.  Time will tell if I went too narrow, but I thought it to be a good, round number.

Rob Bell
White Pass & Yukon Route
Hard Ridge Division
Waynesville, NC

Stephen Silver

Hey Rob, I am going to be out in Asheville the end of this month for about 4 days.  Love to see your layout while I am there.

Stephen Silver
ssilver996@...

Life is mostly attitude and timing

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019, 5:08:16 AM PDT, Robert Bell via Groups.Io <ionhoss@...> wrote:

I used 2" center to center in my yards.  Time will tell if I went too narrow, but I thought it to be a good, round number.

Rob Bell
White Pass & Yukon Route
Hard Ridge Division
Waynesville, NC

Randy Hees

FRA doesn't have clearance  standards for narrow gauge...   In many of their regulations, narrow gauge is excluded.

Randy Hees

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 9:19 PM Doug Cummings <dougcummings@...> wrote:
I do not know about NMRA but in real life when I worked for the railroad the minimum clearances were the FRA standard and the same everywhere. Variances had to be posted.

DEC