ME rail

alsands@...

Hi all, I am having trouble with my ME rail tarnishing, the Peco rail stays clean, we live in a relatively hot part of Australia (Perth) but we don't suffer with humidity.
The rail will tarnish within a couple of weeks.
Any hints would help.
Thanks
Alan Sandsrule

Nigel Phillips

Hi Alan,

When you say tarnishing is this a yellowing? Are you referring to unlaid track or laid track? If laid did you use PVA glue? If so was the PVA low acidity? If yes to the last it's probably due to acetic acid vapor being released from the PVA.

Nickel silver usually has a slight yellow tint to it due to normal oxidation (it's a brass alloy that does not contain silver). It gets yellower with time if not cleaned. Different track manufacturers use different alloy mixes. I have some old (probably 30 years) flex track unused that is now quite yellow.

Nigel

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 4:21 AM <alsands@...> wrote:
Hi all, I am having trouble with my ME rail tarnishing, the Peco rail stays clean, we live in a relatively hot part of Australia (Perth) but we don't suffer with humidity.
The rail will tarnish within a couple of weeks.
Any hints would help.
Thanks
Alan Sandsrule

Jim Marlett

I’m not sure what you mean by tarnish. Are you having troubles with conducting electricity from rail to wheel?

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Oct 16, 2021, at 3:21 AM, alsands@... wrote:

Hi all, I am having trouble with my ME rail tarnishing, the Peco rail stays clean, we live in a relatively hot part of Australia (Perth) but we don't suffer with humidity.
The rail will tarnish within a couple of weeks.
Any hints would help.
Thanks
Alan Sandsrule

Dale Buxton

You should be using a product that is made "down-under" called "INOX". It's an electrical conductive lubricant that if used as directed creates an oxidation barrier on your ME Nickel-Silver rail.

Dale Buxton

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 2:21 AM <alsands@...> wrote:
Hi all, I am having trouble with my ME rail tarnishing, the Peco rail stays clean, we live in a relatively hot part of Australia (Perth) but we don't suffer with humidity.
The rail will tarnish within a couple of weeks.
Any hints would help.
Thanks
Alan Sandsrule

alsands@...

Thanks for your replies,, I am using ME flex, some standard gauge, some narrow gauge, some dual gauge, some weathered most not, none of the track is glued down, all is nailed to blue foam.
By tarnishing I mean the rail is going dark brown to black, but only the ME track not the Peco.

Alan

Jim Marlett

Bizarre. I’ve never had that experience.

On Oct 16, 2021, at 7:22 PM, alsands@... wrote:

Thanks for your replies,, I am using ME flex, some standard gauge, some narrow gauge, some dual gauge, some weathered most not, none of the track is glued down, all is nailed to blue foam.
By tarnishing I mean the rail is going dark brown to black, but only the ME track not the Peco.

Alan

Eric Schrowang

Very odd, I have 2 bundles of ME code 70 rail that has been around for quite a number of years and has not tarnished.

Eric

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021, 11:16 PM Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:
Bizarre. I’ve never had that experience.

On Oct 16, 2021, at 7:22 PM, alsands@... wrote:

Thanks for your replies,, I am using ME flex, some standard gauge, some narrow gauge, some dual gauge, some weathered most not, none of the track is glued down, all is nailed to blue foam.
By tarnishing I mean the rail is going dark brown to black, but only the ME track not the Peco.

Alan

kevin b

by any chance, do you, or someone in your household smoke?
Kevin.

Thanks for your replies,, I am using ME flex, some standard gauge, some narrow gauge, some dual gauge, some weathered most not, none of the track is glued down, all is nailed to blue foam.
By tarnishing I mean the rail is going dark brown to black, but only the ME track not the Peco.

Alan

Nigel Phillips

Sounds like exposure to sulfur or sulfides.

Nigel