Topics

MDC 3 Truck shay

Scott

I got an MDC HOn3 3 Truck Shay kit off of Ebay that I would like to get going on.  I have read many a horror story on them already, but I really want to build one for old times sake.  This kit is a newer kit with the white gears on the axles instead of the black ones.  Since it has the newer axle gears would it be worth it to buy the NWSL regear kit for it?  I am going to get the metal bull gear and the drive lines for sure.  While the motor is open frame it is surprisingly quiet so will probably go with that.  It will be Sound decoder equipped eventually.  There are complete replacment trucks on EBay that are pretty tempting too.  Has anybody happened to tried them.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193191522551

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Gary Crawford

Still working the rebuild, up to and including the nwsl gear sets, currently building the electrical transfer through the trucks for the motors and possible dcc. It's a pain, but here I go, NWSL provided, I am going to get the kit done, regardless. Thank you, MDC, the kit is a good one, looking forward for more?

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019, 12:44 Scott <repairman87@...> wrote:
I got an MDC HOn3 3 Truck Shay kit off of Ebay that I would like to get going on.  I have read many a horror story on them already, but I really want to build one for old times sake.  This kit is a newer kit with the white gears on the axles instead of the black ones.  Since it has the newer axle gears would it be worth it to buy the NWSL regear kit for it?  I am going to get the metal bull gear and the drive lines for sure.  While the motor is open frame it is surprisingly quiet so will probably go with that.  It will be Sound decoder equipped eventually.  There are complete replacment trucks on EBay that are pretty tempting too.  Has anybody happened to tried them.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193191522551

Thanks
Scott McDonald

Brian Kopp

Scott,
as an FYI I have had an order in at NWSL for some MDC shay gear kits since last March. With the change of ownership, it may be a while before they fulfill old orders, let alone a new order of these particular parts......

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

kevin b

On Saturday, November 30, 2019, 3:09:15 PM CST, Gary Crawford <gdm6605@...> wrote:
Still working the rebuild, up to and including the nwsl gear sets, currently building the electrical transfer through the trucks for the motors and possible dcc. It's a pain, but here I go, NWSL provided, I am going to get the kit done, regardless. Thank you, MDC, the kit is a good one, looking forward for more?

well, i'm on your side Gary.
I too wish for more MDC kits.....
such a shame Roundhouse MDC is long gone.
last I knew Atheran had bought 'em up but only kept a few things to run with their stuff and mostly scrapped the molds for all the rest.
there were some folks selling MDC stuff on ebay. from Oregon if i remember right. but it was all plastic, no metal parts, no locos etc.
only car bodies and detail bits etc.
anyway, as for any loco kits etc, I guess EBAY is likely to be the source.
Wiseman bought up a bunch of shay parts and stuff not too long ago, but he ran them on ebay already.
he may still have some parts? but I doubt he'd have any whole kits by now.
maybe if Mr. Wiseman sees this, he'll holler if he's got any goodies left.

i'd like to have a few more myself, but, it ain't like there is a supply of 'em…..
good luck on your search.
Kevin.

Keith Wiseman

We do not have any complete kits right now, but will be making a few up the first of next year.  We do have loads of replacement parts available on ebay and Our web site.

Thanks,

Keith Wiseman
Wiseman Model Services Inc.
898 Blacks Cross Road