Laying Blackstone Track

Jim Schulz

Greetings Everyone

I'm new to this group and was looking for some advise.  I normally model in On30, but my display case of HOn3 Blackstone engines and rolling stock has sat unused for far too long.  I started to build a small HOn3 layout just to run these models.

A while back I acquired a nice oval of Blackstone snap track, and wish to installing it on a 4' x 8' x 2" sheet of blue insulation foam, wrapped in 1x4 pine.  I'd like to attach the Blackstone snap track to this blue foam, but I'm not sure how.  Has anyone ever glued Blackstone snap track to foam?  If so, what kind of glue was used.  The undersides of this snap track looks quite slippery.

Many Thanks!

Jim Schulz
Coyote Creek & Rio Grande

John

When I built and N scale layout using Kato track, I used bathtub caulk to hold it down. Kato track is basically the same as Blackstone, just different gauge!.
John Peckham
Torrance, Southern California

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 1:17 PM, Jim Schulz
<jim@...> wrote:
Greetings Everyone

I'm new to this group and was looking for some advise.  I normally model in On30, but my display case of HOn3 Blackstone engines and rolling stock has sat unused for far too long.  I started to build a small HOn3 layout just to run these models.

A while back I acquired a nice oval of Blackstone snap track, and wish to installing it on a 4' x 8' x 2" sheet of blue insulation foam, wrapped in 1x4 pine.  I'd like to attach the Blackstone snap track to this blue foam, but I'm not sure how.  Has anyone ever glued Blackstone snap track to foam?  If so, what kind of glue was used.  The undersides of this snap track looks quite slippery.

Many Thanks!

Jim Schulz
Coyote Creek & Rio Grande

Jim Schulz

Thanks for the suggestion John.  Based on another recommendation, I actually went with Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue.  First time I've used it and it's working well.  Wonder how it will hold up over time.  No odor, and nontoxic.

Cheers!

Jim Schulz
New to HOn3

John

My track has been down for over twenty years and still good
 But I also added scenery so that might be helping too😊

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 6:45 AM, Jim Schulz
<jim@...> wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion John.  Based on another recommendation, I actually went with Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue.  First time I've used it and it's working well.  Wonder how it will hold up over time.  No odor, and nontoxic.

Cheers!

Jim Schulz
New to HOn3

LARRY KLOSE

Track on my Sn3 layout is all code 55 flex and prefab turnouts
(PBL-Micro-Engineering) and it's all laid with bathroom calk. This is a
great method because if changes are needed it comes up with a palate knife
or putty knife and can be re-attached again with caulk. The only caution is
to have some heavy objects available to hold the track down until the caulk
cures enough to hold everything in place. Caulk can dry out in the tube if
open but unused for a long period so check for this before using it. Make
sure your caulk can be painted so that weathering can be applied and stick
between the ties.

Larry