Topics

laser cut kappler

M2fq@...

gents

what exactly do you need

our laser cutting capabilities are anything (including steel) up to 36 x 55 inches.

how can we help

Gary Kohler
m2fq@...
330-719-0264

In a message dated 3/21/2020 12:13:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, luggw1@... writes:

So, my engineering curiosity got the best of me and I started perusing
Google for laser cutting wood.  At first blush, I've found a couple of
companies that might be candidates: Sculpteo
(https://www.sculpteo.com/en/) and Ponoko
(https://www.ponoko.com/laser-cutting/wood) - there are certainly
others.  Ponoko seems to have a wider array of materials and thicknesses
(up to 0.25" in some materials), but their sheet size is too small for
our needs.  Sculpteo, on the other hand, offers a quite adequate sheet
size (32" x 15") but they seem to work exclusively in 0.125" thick
plywood.  Accubeam
(https://www.accubeam.com/services/laser-cutting-wood-paper/) is a third
company that could cut the cabinet as designed, but I fear it would be
extremely expensive, just based on the appearance and quality of their
web site (unless we were ordering a lot of cabinets).

So, the questions are:
1. Is it worth pursuing this further?

2. if the answer to 1 is yes, we would need to build up cabinet
components and drawer parts that are thicker than a plywood sheet out of
multiple pieces.  Does that sound like a viable solution?

3. What are the minimum thicknesses the group thinks we can go for each
of these components to minimize cost, but maintain strength and durability?

Bill Lugg

On 3/17/20 2:37 PM, Climax@... wrote:
> Hummmmmmmmmmm, still trying to figure out that one.  I thought someone was going to do a lazar run kit and sell them.  Dave

Bill Lugg

Look at the drawings in https://groups.io/g/HOn3/files/Stripwood%20Storage%20Cabinet.  I think we've all agreed on the wide shallow "original" cabinet in the drawings.  Some have been asking if there's a way to produce a laser cut kit for this cabinet that folks could purchase at a reasonable price.  I put the drawings together without consideration or any real understanding of the capabilities or limitations of laser cutting wood.  So I'm wide open to any changes that might be required to make it possible as long as strength and durability are not sacrificed.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

www.portlandlocomotiveworks.com <http://www.portlandlocomotive>