From: "Stephen Silver via Groups.Io" <ssilver996@...>
Date: 1/12/20 3:12 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: HOn3 Group <hon3@groups.io>
Subject: [HOn3] Keystone GE 44 ton

Does anyone have experience taking this from HO to HOn3?  I contacted NWSL who directed me to their old products sheet and though I did not see anything specific for that kit, I thought I would ask here.

Life is mostly attitude and timing

John Stutz

Stephen

Keystone once offered an HO gauge drive for their 44 ton GE, which was built for them by NWSL. It was a special order item, offered either powered or as a bare chassis and trucks. It has Athren/Kato/etc. style gear tower trucks with NWSL brass gears, in a narrow profile tower about 7mm wide in the body, and 12mm over the axle bearings. So it should be easy to narrow down to HOn3. It has NWSL ball cups on the worm shafts, about 2" clear between faces, presumably for a double shafted can motor of about 25mm length. One might even get in a short flywheel.

I bought a couple of the unpowered version from Al Sandrini (Big Al from Cal) about 20 years ago, when he still had his Bakersfield hobby shop. I had intended to convert them for the narrow gauge C-C version of the GE 70 ton engine, but they are not easily extended. So I am willing to sell them, and if you want to try one, please reply off list.

John Stutz

On January 12, 2020 at 5:12 PM "Stephen Silver via Groups.Io" <ssilver996@...> wrote:

Does anyone have experience taking this from HO to HOn3?  I contacted NWSL who directed me to their old products sheet and though I did not see anything specific for that kit, I thought I would ask here.

Life is mostly attitude and timing

asandrini

Hi John,

I still have one running, and it did have a flywheel and a Sagami motor.

Thanks for remembering the "old man",

Big Al from Cal