Topics

Keystone GE 44 ton

Stephen Silver

Does anyone have experience taking this from HO to HOn3?  I contacted NWSL who directed me to their old products sheet and though I did not see anything specific for that kit, I thought I would ask here.

S

Life is mostly attitude and timing

asandrini

I have not converted one to HOn3, but I spent an hour working on one last night.  If you are lucky enough to find anyone who has any extra parts, try getting yourself a handful of the axle retainer clips.

I have only two of them left, after the others cracked and fell apart in the box.  Another problem is the splitting of the sideframe retainers. Glue does not want to adhere the white metal to engineering plastic. I took my soldering iron, with my smallest tip, and "welded" the seam. Careful that you don't get the retainer too hot and melt it off.

Good luck with the conversion.

Big Al from Cal 

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/12/20 3:12 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: HOn3 Group <hon3@groups.io>
Subject: [HOn3] Keystone GE 44 ton

Does anyone have experience taking this from HO to HOn3?  I contacted NWSL who directed me to their old products sheet and though I did not see anything specific for that kit, I thought I would ask here.

S

John Stutz

Stephen

Keystone once offered an HO gauge drive for their 44 ton GE, which was built for them by NWSL. It was a special order item, offered either powered or as a bare chassis and trucks. It has Athren/Kato/etc. style gear tower trucks with NWSL brass gears, in a narrow profile tower about 7mm wide in the body, and 12mm over the axle bearings. So it should be easy to narrow down to HOn3. It has NWSL ball cups on the worm shafts, about 2" clear between faces, presumably for a double shafted can motor of about 25mm length. One might even get in a short flywheel.

I bought a couple of the unpowered version from Al Sandrini (Big Al from Cal) about 20 years ago, when he still had his Bakersfield hobby shop. I had intended to convert them for the narrow gauge C-C version of the GE 70 ton engine, but they are not easily extended. So I am willing to sell them, and if you want to try one, please reply off list.

John Stutz

On January 12, 2020 at 5:12 PM "Stephen Silver via Groups.Io" <ssilver996@...> wrote:

S

asandrini

Hi John,

I still have one running, and it did have a flywheel and a Sagami motor. 

Thanks for remembering the "old man",

Big Al from Cal 

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/25/20 1:49 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: HOn3@groups.io, "Stephen Silver via Groups.Io" <ssilver996@...>
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Keystone GE 44 ton

Stephen

Keystone once offered an HO gauge drive for their 44 ton GE, which was built for them by NWSL. It was a special order item, offered either powered or as a bare chassis and trucks. It has Athren/Kato/etc. style gear tower trucks with NWSL brass gears, in a narrow profile tower about 7mm wide in the body, and 12mm over the axle bearings. So it should be easy to narrow down to HOn3. It has NWSL ball cups on the worm shafts, about 2" clear between faces, presumably for a double shafted can motor of about 25mm length. One might even get in a short flywheel.

I bought a couple of the unpowered version from Al Sandrini (Big Al from Cal) about 20 years ago, when he still had his Bakersfield hobby shop. I had intended to convert them for the narrow gauge C-C version of the GE 70 ton engine, but they are not easily extended. So I am willing to sell them, and if you want to try one, please reply off list.

John Stutz

On January 12, 2020 at 5:12 PM "Stephen Silver via Groups.Io" <ssilver996@...> wrote:

S