From: "kevin b via Groups.Io" <arcatruck13@...>
Date: 2/4/20 5:03 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Remembering Frank Kappler

From: John Hutnick
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2020 9:20 AM
To: HOn3@groups.io

If this particular wood storage cabinet is so good, who can we get to make us a laser cut plywood kit to build it?
Can anyone measure theirs and post sketches of the outer cabinet and drawer dimensions?

to all.
I have recently acquired a table saw.
(last Saturday actually)
with it I intend to make one (at least) ho scale lumber cabinet.
at this time, my idea is to rip down some 2x4 lumber to make the drawer fronts, backs, and sides.
these will be approx. 1/2 inch thick.
the cabinet "box" itself will likely be plywood.
as for the drawer bottoms and dividers, 5 mil luan will probably be the material chosen for that.
with any luck, i'll get started on the cabinet yet this week.
as I go along, i'll post a picture or two to show progress and or epic fails.
one thing i'm trying to decide, is how many spaces per drawer.
and do all drawers need the same amount of spaces?
for instance: 1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1x6 1x8 1x10 and 1x12 will require 8 spaces.
but as I go, for instance, 4x4, 4x6 4x8 4x10 and 4x14 only needs 5 spaces.
perhaps each drawer will be it's own , not all drawers the same.

any body who has some input on that, please weight in.
thanks.
Kevin.

Bill Lugg

Why not put them in a file and post them in the files section.  Then whomever wants to pick up the ball and run with it has the info they need.

Just a thought.
Bill Lugg

On 2/4/20 6:20 AM, asandrini wrote:
If the members are serious about having someone laser cut the parts, I will take photos and measurements of the box.

I would not know to whom to forward the information.

Al

[...]

Steen Mortensen

If you could post the measures, I would appreciate it very much!! I plan to make one the old fashioned ay : by hand.

Steen

On Feb 4, 2020, at 7:21 AM, asandrini <asandrini@...> wrote:

[...]

Climax@...

I went to the Amhurst show this past week and found a lazer person who makes stuff out of hard board. He said he could do it and I took his card. I said I would draw up something with dimensions and get it to him but I misplaced the darn card and am still looking for it. He siad it would be easy for him to plug into his cutter and make a kit. Since I think NE wood comes in strips that are 24 inches long I am thinking of crosswise presentation and a 24 x 18 box with drawers. Spaces between wood dividers should be 1.5 inches. Now we need to figure out how many shelves to put in to hold wood from the 2x2 to large wood.
I can see sales already for about a dozen of these units to put wood in.

[...]

Mike Conder

I'd be interested in one ...

Mike Conder

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 10:02 AM <Climax@...> wrote:
I went to the Amhurst show this past week and found a lazer person who makes stuff out of hard board.  He said he could do it and I took his card.  I said I would draw up something with dimensions and get it to him but I misplaced the darn card and am still looking for it.  He siad it would be easy for him to plug into his cutter and make a kit.  Since I think NE wood comes in strips that are 24 inches long I am thinking of crosswise presentation and a 24 x 18 box with drawers.  Spaces between wood dividers should be 1.5 inches.  Now we need to figure out how many shelves to put in to hold wood from the 2x2 to large wood.
I can see sales already for about a dozen of these units to put wood in.

Ric Case

Ok are we still talking 12 deep,26-28 wide 8 to 12 high.
The draw count 6-7  each being 1.5 inches tall .
8 spaces in each of the drawers on top 6 drawers, 2 spaces in remaining for sheets of wood. This could allow you to store 3 and 6 inch wide stock . This is my thoughts. As I have 12 and 24 inch lumber in stock. I have 80 slots filled at this time.
I could see possibly placing two different sizes in each slot  using a divider.
I also have car roof and flooring pieces. These will need a place also.

 Let’s see what the price breakdown is for multiple units to be made!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Feb 4, 2020, at 12:18 PM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

I'd be interested in one ...

Mike Conder

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 10:02 AM <Climax@...> wrote:
I went to the Amhurst show this past week and found a lazer person who makes stuff out of hard board.  He said he could do it and I took his card.  I said I would draw up something with dimensions and get it to him but I misplaced the darn card and am still looking for it.  He siad it would be easy for him to plug into his cutter and make a kit.  Since I think NE wood comes in strips that are 24 inches long I am thinking of crosswise presentation and a 24 x 18 box with drawers.  Spaces between wood dividers should be 1.5 inches.  Now we need to figure out how many shelves to put in to hold wood from the 2x2 to large wood.
I can see sales already for about a dozen of these units to put wood in.

Don Bergman

Here is my lumber yard.  An old Wine carton with many dividers.  Work great.

Don Bergman

I went to the Amhurst show this past week and found a lazer person who makes stuff out of hard board.  He said he could do it and I took his card.  I said I would draw up something with dimensions and get it to him but I misplaced the darn card and am still looking for it.  He siad it would be easy for him to plug into his cutter and make a kit.  Since I think NE wood comes in strips that are 24 inches long I am thinking of crosswise presentation and a 24 x 18 box with drawers.  Spaces between wood dividers should be 1.5 inches.  Now we need to figure out how many shelves to put in to hold wood from the 2x2 to large wood.
I can see sales already for about a dozen of these units to put wood in.

kevin b

If you could post the measures, I would appreciate it very much!! I plan to make one the old fashioned ay : by hand.
Steen

as I get time to work on it etc. i'll post the dimensions I come up with and so on.
hopefully, some time this week I can get started.

Kevin.

Bill Lugg

I might be interested in one too, depending upon price and design. If we all agree the original Kappler "Lumber Yard" is what we're looking for, may I suggest we wait for Al to post the results of his efforts to capture the dimensions of his so we can get this right the first time?

A little patience up front will yield better results in the long run, I think.

Just my $0.02...
Bill Lugg

On 2/4/20 10:18 AM, Mike Conder wrote:
I'd be interested in one ...

Mike Conder

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 10:02 AM <Climax@... <mailto:Climax@...>> wrote:

I went to the Amhurst show this past week and found a lazer person
who makes stuff out of hard board.  He said he could do it and I
took his card.  I said I would draw up something with dimensions
and get it to him but I misplaced the darn card and am still
looking for it.  He siad it would be easy for him to plug into his
cutter and make a kit.  Since I think NE wood comes in strips that
are 24 inches long I am thinking of crosswise presentation and a
24 x 18 box with drawers.  Spaces between wood dividers should be
1.5 inches.  Now we need to figure out how many shelves to put in
to hold wood from the 2x2 to large wood.
I can see sales already for about a dozen of these units to put
wood in.

John Stutz

I use a variation of Don's approach. In my case a couple of 2"square by 24" mailing tubes, with each size in its individual plastic sleeve. I also take the precaution of labeling each piece with its scale size before storing. A set of drawers like Al's would take up way too much volume in my limited shop space.

John Stutz

On February 4, 2020 at 12:49 PM Don Bergman <DBRenegade@...> wrote:

Here is my lumber yard.  An old Wine carton with many dividers.  Work great.

Don Bergman

I went to the Amhurst show this past week and found a lazer person who makes stuff out of hard board.  He said he could do it and I took his card.  I said I would draw up something with dimensions and get it to him but I misplaced the darn card and am still looking for it.  He siad it would be easy for him to plug into his cutter and make a kit.  Since I think NE wood comes in strips that are 24 inches long I am thinking of crosswise presentation and a 24 x 18 box with drawers.  Spaces between wood dividers should be 1.5 inches.  Now we need to figure out how many shelves to put in to hold wood from the 2x2 to large wood.
I can see sales already for about a dozen of these units to put wood in.

rick@...

Not sure if this was mentioned and I just missed it, but Here's another vertical solution:

https://www.handlaidtrack.com/lumber-store-without-wood

Rick

I use a variation of Don's approach. In my case a couple of 2"square by 24" mailing tubes, with each size in its individual plastic sleeve. I also take the precaution of labeling each piece with its scale size before storing. A set of drawers like Al's would take up way too much volume in my limited shop space.

Climax@...

During the early to mid 1960's I use to visit a hobby shop in Elgin, Illinois by the name of Schlicker's Tobacco & Hobby shop in downtown and within walking distance across the Fox river to the train station. In that great old store there was a really nice selection of wood from Northeastern Wood that came in what appeared to be mailing tubes about 2 inches in diameter. The back end of the tube was metal and a metal cap was on the opening end. They stored the wood tubes in vertical rows, first row was a tube each of 1x2, 1x4, 1x6, all the way to 1x12. the second row was the same only 2x2, 2x4, 2x6, and the next 4x4, 4x6 4x8 and up. This went on for about half a dozen vertically stacked rows of tubes. The tube caps had the wood size just printed on stickers and the price per piece on he end. They also had the sheet wood in stack next to it. This was my favorite part of the show, besides drooling near the brass glass case doors. hahahhaa I built many model from that wood and got for free many of the tubes that I still have today. I did paint the caps white and used dry transfers to put the sizes on though. So today, when I need a size a remove the tube, hold my hand over the opening and turn it upside down letting the short wood fall to my hand, then tip it side ways and select the pieces I need. Simple and effective. Perhaps thin wall PVC and caps could do the same for others.
Dave