Topics

KADEE 705 couplers WAS_Any

hiroechan

Here's the same solution applied to a Blackstone RGS flat.

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019, 1:50 AM hiroechan via Groups.Io <hiroechan=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Alright gents,
I have solved this issue. Here's how you install the new 705 couplers in existing draft gear, without major surgery, and actually have them look right and center properly.

1: cut the old center pin out of the existing box.
2: disassemble the 705, discard the lid, and trim the box into a new lid. Cut off box sides and rear.
3: use new lid with triangular center pin, together with new coupler, placed in old box on car, to find location for drilling and tapping for new mounting screw.
4: remove 705 coupler and new lid, drill and tap car box, then reassemble new coupler in old box with new lid, spring, and screw.

See photos for details.

This is a Rail Line boxcar, this technique should work for blackstone cars as well. The centering works, and the coupler head is nice and close to the striker plate like it should be.

--Drew McCann

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 12:48 AM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

?I hate to burst Kadee's bubble. While the 705 will indeed go anywhere that a 714 will go. There are two problems. I just spent the last hour or so experimenting with this.

1. As I mentioned before, the little centering spring really needs to be in it's designed slot with about 1/32" of horizontal play. It is all but impossible to get that idy-biddy spring in the back of the coupler shank and behind the pivot post in a Kadee 714 coupler box or 714 clone coupler box ( like the one on a Blackstone car ) . If you by some chance of magic get in it in there. It will be completely compressed and the centering action is lost!

2.  The 705 coupler's shank thickness is only .041". A Kadee 714's shank thickness is .057". The 705's shank is way thinner!  The Kadee 714 coupler boxes inside height at the pivot post is .067". This gives the 705 coupler  .026" of vertical play and no spring torsion pushing against it to hold it on the vertical plane. It sticks out there, drooping down to a 15 to 20 degree angle and flops around unable to mate with any other coupler. This fix of coarse, is to add about .025" of shim washers to the pivot post to get the thing to sit level in the coupler box. More work and expense I didn't want.

And once again the Sergent Sharon type coupler was purpose designed to fit in  the Kadee 714 box and is clones with no vertical play. Yes I am a proponent of Sharon couplers. But, I am also will to try new things. This new coupler design of Kadee's is turning out to be more work that I want to deal with.

Why in the world did they make the 705's shank thickness so much thinner than the 714's??? Why did the make the pivot post such a unique and generally uncombatable design with what is already on the market?

It's both baffling and disappointing for this modeler.

Dale B

Doug Cummings

One question.

I was in the slow process of converting all of my HOn3 rolling stock over to what was then the new style of coupler. Now there is an even newer new style. My question is are they interchangeable or does this mean converting everything to the newest newer coupler? it is getting confusing, I had not finished changing everything over from the Kadee coupler.

Doug

Dale Buxton

Well Doug,
It would appear that Kadee has a real winner this time! From my tests, I conclude that the new 705 mates just fine with the Kadee 714 and the Sergent Sharon type D scale sized coupler. (Sergent Sharon type D's still have problems with Kadee 714's and the they always will) I haven't tried to put a 705 in a locomotive pilot and I don't think I ever will. I really like the the Sergent pilot mount version for that.

I hope this answered your question.

Dale B

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 10:56 AM Doug Cummings <dougcummings@...> wrote:
One question.

I was in the slow process of converting all of my HOn3 rolling stock over to what was then the new style of coupler. Now there is an even newer new style. My question is are they interchangeable or does this mean converting everything to the newest newer coupler? it is getting confusing, I had not finished changing everything over from the Kadee coupler.

Doug

Doug Cummings

I presume the Kadee 705 is the new coupler everyone is talking about. I will talk to the people at my friendly neighborhood hobby shop and order some of them to replace the older Kadee's I have on my models.

DEC