Topics

Kadee 705 box dimensions

Bill Lugg

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the Kadee 705 coupler box, please?  In designing this tender frame, I figure I may as well design for the new coupler.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Mark Lewis

Bill:

Here is the info on the Kadee #705 coupler box, direct from the Kadee website.
Hope this helps.

image.png

Mark Lewis
narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 12:10 AM Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:
Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the Kadee 705 coupler box, please?
In designing this tender frame, I figure I may as well design for the
new coupler.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Art D3

Directly from the Kadee website:

#705 Metal Coupler Features:
Material  -   Metal
Shank Length  -   Medium (7/32") (center hole to back of coupler head)
Coupler Offset  -   Centerset
Head  -   Scale Head

#705 Snap-Together Gearbox Features:
Material  -   Insulated Plastic
Lid Type  -   Snap-Together
Dimensions  -   23/64"L x 15/64"W x 7/64"H

Mounting Specifications:
Mounting Height  -   11/32"
Centerline  -   9/32"
Trip Pin Height  -   1/32"
Center Hole  -  00-90 Screw. (Screw length will vary) no less then 3/16 length.

--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

Bill Lugg

Thanks folks.  I looked on their web site, found the PDF for the 705 and completely missed the box dimensions.  I guess I need to perfect my use of the scroll wheel on my mouse.

Bill Lugg

*#705 Metal Coupler Features:*
Material  -   Metal

*#705 Snap-Together Gearbox Features:*
Material  -   Insulated Plastic
Lid Type  -   Snap-Together
*Dimensions* * -   23/64"L x 15/64"W x 7/64"H*

*Mounting Specifications:*
Mounting Height  -   11/32"
Centerline  -   9/32"
Trip Pin Height  -   1/32"
Center Hole  -  00-90 Screw. (Screw length will vary) no less then 3/16 length.

--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

Brian Kopp

Bill I certainly would not want to discourage your creativity but I am starting to build a couple 1879 HOn3 era tenders and decided to be lazy and use the PSC tender frames. TJ Model Trains had them in stock last month. It is PSC 31516 if you are interested.....

Forgive me if you were already aware of them....

Regards,
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Bill Lugg

Thanks for the heads-up, but unfortunately they are about 31" short for my application.  I'm looking to build a 39-SC-3 whale back tender for an SP NG #1 (NCNG #9) I've got.  The frame is pretty simple; built up of four pieces of channel, bolsters and end beams, with other bracing (bar stock and rods) mixed in. I'm going to explore 3D printed and cast end beams and bolsters and I've built most of a model for the oil and water tanks to be 3D printed.

We'll see where it goes.

Bill Lugg

On 10/8/19 8:26 AM, Brian Kopp wrote:

Bill I certainly would not want to discourage your creativity but I am starting to build a couple 1879 HOn3 era tenders and decided to be lazy and use the PSC tender frames. TJ Model Trains had them in stock last month. It is PSC 31516 if you are interested.....

Forgive me if you were already aware of them....

Regards,
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Russ Norris

Bill, during my tour of the Sacramento Locomotive Shops during the National Narrow Gauge Convention, we were shown the remnants of an SP narrow gauge tender that has been converted into a hazardous waste deposit.  Don't know if it was from SP #1 but here is a photo of it sitting quietly in the parking lot, continuing to serve the railroad today as it has for many years. only in a different capacity.