Topics

Is there market "demand" for 3D printed HOn3 trucks?

Jim King

I’m working thru a production run of Sn2 freight and passenger trucks using my Form3 SLA 3D printing system and was wondering if there is “market demand” for HOn3 printed trucks, primarily aimed at Eastern roads, like EBT and Tweetsie?  I once produced a few HOn3 ET resin kits and finding good-rolling, accurate trucks was always a problem.

If you have interest in seeing trucks, such as the McCord style, please contact me off-list with your comments, suggestions, etc.  As a reference, my Sn2 trucks sell for $18/pair including Kadee 718 HOn3 wheelsets and 0-48 screws and are packaged in a foam-lined hinged box for protection.  Trucks without wheelsets sell for $12/pair.  Below is a CAD image of the “Swing Motion” style” Sn2 truck (brake beams are separate parts).  Sideframes, lids and bolster are a single printed part.  Wheelbase is .750”.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

--
Jim King
http://smokymountainmodelworks.com

Mark Lewis

Jim,

Yes...for Blackstone detail and rolling quality HOn3 truck sets, since it does nor appear...in the short term...we will be seeing new or re-runs of the great Blackstone truck sets.
FYI - Western Rails does supply 3D printed HOn3 truck sets. Here is a link to his catalog page that lists them.

Mark Lewis
Narrow Gauge modeling in N.C.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 2:04 PM Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

[...]

sydney schofield

Interesting.

On Thursday, September 24, 2020, 11:04:25 AM PDT, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

[...]

Russ Norris

I wonder if you would be able to produce the Vulcan trucks used on the EBT in HOn3.  The best trucks out there were the Blackstones, but they are hard to find now.

Russ Norris

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 3:54 PM sydney schofield via groups.io <sydrs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Russ,

You might try Western Rails.  They 3D print Vulcan trucks.  They can supply Kadee wheelsets for a total of $12 a pair.  They also have a new 3D printed EBT hopper in seven variations.

Bruce Dunlevy

Russ Norris

Thanks Bruce.  I already have some of their printed rolling stock.  I didn't know they did trucks as well.  And $12 is comparable to the Blackstones.  I will have to check them out.

Russ

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020, 11:08 PM Bruce Dunlevy <bdunlevy@...> wrote:
Russ,

You might try Western Rails.  They 3D print Vulcan trucks.  They can supply Kadee wheelsets for a total of $12 a pair.  They also have a new 3D printed EBT hopper in seven variations.

Bruce Dunlevy

Bruce

any trucksRuss,

If you, or another group member, buys any Western Rails trucks please let the group know your thoughts on their rolling quality and level of detail.

With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce Bowie
419-602-3584
in2trains@...

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020, 6:21 AM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
Thanks Bruce.  I already have some of their printed rolling stock.  I didn't know they did trucks as well.  And $12 is comparable to the Blackstones.  I will have to check them out.

Russ

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020, 11:08 PM Bruce Dunlevy <bdunlevy@...> wrote:
Russ,

You might try Western Rails.  They 3D print Vulcan trucks.  They can supply Kadee wheelsets for a total of $12 a pair.  They also have a new 3D printed EBT hopper in seven variations.

Bruce Dunlevy

Bill Miller

I have a number of Western-Rails models and most have their trucks under them.  Their trucks are very well detailed but the early ones done by Shapeways in FUD (Fine Ultra Detail) white plastic were very brittle and easy to break while installing the wheel sets until you learned the tricks to getting them in the side frames . Later W-Rs/ Shapeways increased the thickness which helped

A New gray material is used on the newest trucks which is much more forgiving. Western Rails trucks don't roll as freely as Blackstone's / Micro Trains, with out some work but they do run true which is a great help keeping them on the track. You need to smooth out the bearing holes for free rolling trucks. Just part of the printing process that the bearing holes are not smooth off the printer.

I have a number of their EBT Boxcars and hoppers (a early 800 series 2 bay hopper and a four bay hopper)  The cars are much like the old C&BT shops kits of the three bay hoppers.  Not all the detail parts are in the box and you will need to buy brake gear to add to the car. Think Tichy split K type.

Western-Rails has EBT, C&S, SPNG, D&RGW and ET&WNC rolling stock available on their web-site.

 Narrow Gauge Unlimited on Shapeways also has some EBT cars as well as D&RGW and C&S.

 I am very pleased with what I have purchased 3-D printed from all the vendors who do HO Narrow Gauge 3-D prints

 Bill Miller..............

[...]

Bill Lugg

How do you smooth out the holes on these trucks?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

in2trains@... <mailto:in2trains@...>

<mailto:bdunlevy@...>> wrote:

Russ,

You might try Western Rails.  They 3D print Vulcan trucks.
They can supply Kadee wheelsets for a total of $12 a pair.
They also have a new 3D printed EBT hopper in seven variations.

https://westernrails.com/product/tr03/
https://westernrails.com/product/hc05/
Bruce Dunlevy

Bill Miller

With a 1-72 tap.

How do you smooth out the holes on these trucks?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

On 9/25/20 11:50 AM, Bill Miller via groups.io wrote:
> I have a number of Western-Rails models and most have their trucks
> under them.  Their trucks are very well detailed but the early ones
> done by Shapeways in FUD (Fine Ultra Detail) white plastic were very
> brittle and easy to break while installing the wheel sets until you
> learned the tricks to getting them in the side frames . Later W-Rs/
> Shapeways increased the thickness which helped
>
> A New gray material is used on the newest trucks which is much more
> forgiving. Western Rails trucks don't roll as freely as Blackstone's /
> Micro Trains, with out some work but they do run true which is a great
> help keeping them on the track. You need to smooth out the bearing
> holes for free rolling trucks. Just part of the printing process that
> the bearing holes are not smooth off the printer.
>
> I have a number of their EBT Boxcars and hoppers (a early 800 series 2
> bay hopper and a four bay hopper)  The cars are much like the old C&BT
> shops kits of the three bay hoppers.  Not all the detail parts are in
> the box and you will need to buy brake gear to add to the car. Think
> Tichy split K type.
>
> Western-Rails has EBT, C&S, SPNG, D&RGW and ET&WNC rolling stock
> available on their web-site.
>
>  Narrow Gauge Unlimited on Shapeways also has some EBT cars as well as
> D&RGW and C&S.
>
>  I am very pleased with what I have purchased 3-D printed from all the
> vendors who do HO Narrow Gauge 3-D prints
>
>  Bill Miller..............

Bill Lugg

That was unexpected.  :o)  I assume the taper on the end of the tap matches that of the bearing holes?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

With a 1-72 tap.

<mailto:in2trains@... <mailto:in2trains@...>>

<bdunlevy@... <mailto:bdunlevy@...>
    <mailto:bdunlevy@... <mailto:bdunlevy@...>>> wrote:

        Russ,

        You might try Western Rails.  They 3D print Vulcan trucks.
        They can supply Kadee wheelsets for a total of $12 a pair.
        They also have a new 3D printed EBT hopper in seven variations.

https://westernrails.com/product/tr03/
https://westernrails.com/product/hc05/
        Bruce Dunlevy

Bruce

I'm with Bill.  A tap?  Who (obviously Bill Miller!) would have thought of it?

With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce Bowie
419-602-3584 cell

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 4:09 PM Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:
That was unexpected.  :o)  I assume the taper on the end of the tap
matches that of the bearing holes?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

On 9/25/20 12:26 PM, Bill Miller via groups.io wrote:
> With a 1-72 tap.

Bill Miller,

I'm with Bruce and Bill....please explain!

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

Bill Miller

You are not taping the bearing for a 1-72 screw , you are cleaning out the bearing hole.  There is material from the printing process fowling the bearing surface in the side-frames that once removed allows for a smooth rolling truck. The end of a 1-72 tap works well.

 Bill Miller

I'm with Bruce and Bill....please explain!

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

Mark Lewis

Thanks, Bill.

Mark Lewis

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020, 5:20 PM Bill Miller via groups.io <ebteng18=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
You are not taping the bearing for a 1-72 screw , you are cleaning out the bearing hole.  There is material from the printing process fowling the bearing surface in the side-frames that once removed allows for a smooth rolling truck. The end of a 1-72 tap works well.

 Bill Miller

I'm with Bruce and Bill....please explain!

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

Bruce

Kinda what we/I  thought, just needed you to confirm.  GREAT idea!

With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce Bowie
419-602-3584
in2trains@...