Topics

Is the tall Domed Doomed?

Mark Kasprowicz

Talking of San Juan, does anyone know if their tall domed Conoco tank car project is progressing in HOn3. A visit to their site yeilded no mention of HOn3 that I could find, while clicking on the Conoco advert took me to a blank page. I ordered a couple of these back when they were announced but heard nothing since.

It would be a great shame if there wasn't enough interest to make the project happen.

Mark K
Oxon England.

Mark Lewis

Mark,

A couple of months ago, on a Facebook HOn3 group, a couple of photos were posted by a modeler, who had seen actual prototype builds of the HOn3 CONOCO tank car, at a model railroad show  near Denver(?).
The comment that accompanied the photos, indicated a Fall 2020, availability (of course that was before the "virus"). They are probably being made off-shore(my assumption).

They looked really good!

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 2:43 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
Talking of San Juan, does anyone know if their tall domed Conoco tank car project is progressing in HOn3. A visit to their site yeilded no mention of HOn3 that I could find, while clicking on the Conoco advert took me to a blank page. I ordered a couple of these back when they were announced but heard nothing since.

It would be a great shame if there wasn't enough interest to make the project happen.

Mark K
Oxon England.

Ted Wilton

The word I got when I went to the Sacramento NG convention was that the cars were to be manufactured in China, and the On3 versions were to be the first to actually arrive in the US. We also talked about the uncertainty of production scheduling inherent with overseas production.

Ted
Spanish Springs NV

duncan

Mark,

    The tall domed tank cars are doing fine.  They brought one of the test runs to the TCA show here in Denver and ran it the club's layout (The Near Sighted Narrow Gaugers).  The car was unpainted, but ran fine, tracked well, had super details, coupled and uncoupled just fine.  They are very busy getting the shop set up and in production.  Different machines doing similar jobs from the various companies they have taken over.  so, a learning cure for each machine.  Then the covid restrictions and all.  Last I heard they were on track for delivery later this year.  Talk about not hearing anything.  We haven't had any sort of update from Blackstone on their search for a new factory and the production of the K28's and K-36's for almost a year now!

                                                            Duncan Harvey

Dale Buxton

At the TCA event in Denver, I was shown a river pattern flaw on the On3 versions dome. So that die had to be re-cut. All of this was before the pandemic started to hit the USA hard. It was already effecting the manufacturing industry in China and San Juan had been informed of that issue.

Dale Buxton

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 17:15 Ted Wilton <twilton@...> wrote:
The word I got when I went to the Sacramento NG convention was that the cars were to be manufactured in China, and the On3 versions were to be the first to actually arrive in the US. We also talked about the uncertainty of production scheduling inherent with overseas production.

Ted
Spanish Springs NV

Dale Buxton

RIVIT not river. Stupid auto correct!

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 19:41 Dale Buxton via groups.io <dbtuathaddana=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
At the TCA event in Denver, I was shown a river pattern flaw on the On3 versions dome. So that die had to be re-cut. All of this was before the pandemic started to hit the USA hard. It was already effecting the manufacturing industry in China and San Juan had been informed of that issue.

Dale Buxton

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 17:15 Ted Wilton <twilton@...> wrote:
The word I got when I went to the Sacramento NG convention was that the cars were to be manufactured in China, and the On3 versions were to be the first to actually arrive in the US. We also talked about the uncertainty of production scheduling inherent with overseas production.

Ted
Spanish Springs NV

Dusty

Is there a MSRP for the 1/87 versions?

Dusty Burman

Mark Lewis

Dusty,

If I recall, in the original advertising for the CONOCO tank cars (the reservation information)  from SJM Co, about 2 years ago, they indicated $89.95 each for the HOn3 versions.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 6:37 PM Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Is there a MSRP for the 1/87 versions?

Dusty Burman

Mark Kasprowicz

Good news then. Thanks for the information. I look forward to getting mine. As for the Blackstone K's, there has been an update on the BS site as a result of the Covid -19 pandemic. Moving to a new factoryin China is mentioned as are the K's. But nothing in the immediate future.
Mark K
Oxon England.

Climax@...

$132.95