Topics

interchange between standard gauge and narrow gauge

Bill Lugg

A gentleman on another list is looking for info on a standard gauge car used, I believe on the D&RGW to move narrow gauge cars on the dual gauge portions of the system.  Are there photos or drawings available that I could pass on to him?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Bill,

If your friend models in HO, Rio Grande Models makes a HO kit for this car. It is their kit #3026. Here is their picture of it:

http://riograndemodels.com/Images/LargeHO/3026.jpg

Kit is $25.
Here is a prototype photo of two of the cars:

https://ngtrainpics.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/RDS004-D-RGW-3rd-4th-Divisions-Miscellaneous/G0000UYONuniyPVI/I0000kfVy48d3EOY/C0000Vd2qoA2MbNU/

Hope this helps.

Bruce Dunlevy

A gentleman on another list is looking for info on a standard gauge car
used, I believe on the D&RGW to move narrow gauge cars on the dual gauge
portions of the system. Are there photos or drawings available that I
could pass on to him?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Bruce

FYI, I have built this kit.  The basic car is cast metal.  The weight makes it useable.
Theprototype and the kit mount three couplers on each end.  The center coupler of each set is set to use with standard gauge equipment.  The two outside couplers are set to couple ng equipment.  It gets a little tight, but doable.

My efforts predate the new Kadee narrow gauge coupler.  I'm not sure how it would help or hinder the three coupler arrangement.  If anyone does such a setup with the new Kadee I would appreciate hearing how it went.

Bruce Bowie
Huron Ohio

Dale Buxton

I wonder how Sergent couplers would work in this car? I built one decades ago and it was super tight space for Kadee 714 coupler. Sacrifices to the under frame or end- beam were required  as I recall. But Sargent Type E and Sharron  Type couplers don’t need a coupler box to work. Just a pivot stud, retaining washer and a mounting screw. I think I’ll buy another of these kits and try Sergent couplers this time around.

Dale B.

Russ Norris

When I installed dual couplers on a model of EBT #6, I used a Kadee 714 for the standard gauge coupler and Kadee N gauge couplers for the narrow gauge couplers.  The #714 mates with a #5 and the N gauge couples with a #714.  It's a little tight, as you said, but it works.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019, 5:37 PM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:
I wonder how Sergent couplers would work in this car? I built one decades ago and it was super tight space for Kadee 714 coupler. Sacrifices to the under frame or end- beam were required  as I recall. But Sargent Type E and Sharron  Type couplers don’t need a coupler box to work. Just a pivot stud, retaining washer and a mounting screw. I think I’ll buy another of these kits and try Sergent couplers this time around.

Dale B.

dave

Here is a different style made from a high side gon in Santa Fe