Topics

Installing 705’s on loco pilots.

Ed Tibbetts

so far I’ve converted my K28 and C&S 2-6-0 to 705’s. The K was easy. I made a brass box, soldered to the pilot beam that a 714 with box would fit. I had to slightly narrow the 705 box to fit, and it went right in. The C&S was more of a challenge!
I took the coupler out of the box, cut off the back of the shank, and drilled the shank .022 for a mounting pin. I needed a shim under the shank, and that took many false starts to get it right! This one does not self center, but is much improved over the 714 pinned with nothing to keep it closed. Many unintentional uncouples backing😒 pictures in Photos Kadee 705

Mick Moignard

Drilling holes in KD 58 shanks is what I’ve been doing for loco pilots for years, so I’ve been hopeful that the 705 would be amenable to the same treatment.  Way better looking than an entire 714 box attached to the pilot, and also better operating than the damfool idea that Division Point used on the new K-36 of drilling the two halves of a 714.  It might have given a coupler on the front beam, but it was one that didn’t work because it couldn’t close around the other coupler.

Mick

________________________________
Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

, so please excuse the typos.

Dale Buxton

Mick,

Why in the world did Division Point do such a lame thing? (that's a rhetorical question. no need to answer). They could have put a Sergent Sharon pilot coupler in the pilot with far less effort than the time it took to modify a 714 like that.  It makes one wonder what that thought process was like. Lets design and build a super detailed model and then stumble over something so simple.

Now that we know that the 705's will readily mate with the Sergents a lot of possibilities open up.

I know 2 people that have shortened, drilled and pinned the shanks of the new 705's on pilots of HOn3 loco's. They are both very happy with the results. One should not forget that none of the prototype equipment has self-centering couplers. Coupler centering there was and is all done by hand. So, self centering or not. This little coupler is a wonderful addition to the world of HOn3!

On the down side. I got this through a back-channel pipeline. But I trust the source implicitly. These new couplers have 3 production problems at present. The coupler injection mold at present is a one-off mold design. Meaning, that only one coupler is made with every injection shot. This will change but not overnight. The other 2  problems are with the 2 different springs used. They are so tiny that Kadee does not have an automated production machine that can make them. The are (as I am told by my source) being made on a manual spring winder. (whatever that is). So supplies will be limited for a little while until production can ramp up.

What this all means is. If limited amounts of individual customers scoop up great handfuls of these early productions, the overall market at large will be starved for product.

I think Kadee is pretty aware that there is a lot of public dismay in HOn3 land, going back many, many years over the shortcomings of the 714 coupler design.

We now have a fix to the lions share of those problem if we can all be patient long enough to get our hands on some of these nice little couplers.

Dale

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 2:37 AM Mick Moignard <mick@...> wrote:

Drilling holes in KD 58 shanks is what I’ve been doing for loco pilots for years, so I’ve been hopeful that the 705 would be amenable to the same treatment.  Way better looking than an entire 714 box attached to the pilot, and also better operating than the damfool idea that Division Point used on the new K-36 of drilling the two halves of a 714.  It might have given a coupler on the front beam, but it was one that didn’t work because it couldn’t close around the other coupler.

Mick

________________________________
Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

, so please excuse the typos.

Ed Tibbetts

I am only using the 705’s to install good working couplers on the pilots of my 6, 1970’s brass HOn3 loco’s. I have 2 boxes of the 705’s (8 couplers total) so I can screw up a couple of installs and still accomplish my goal of good pilot couplers.
I have an MDC outside frame 2-8-0 that I have been tinkering with for 40 years now, so maybe I only have 1 spare! Gotta be careful 😊🚂

Ed Tibbetts

Started the last 2 705 pilot coupler installs today. I cut down the extended box on the pilot of my C19 and got a trimmed and drilled 705 pinned in.
I started dis assembling my C25 for remotor, paint, and pilot coupler change.
It had a Kadee N scale coupler in a self centering box, but it stuck out too far. I have not decided how I will do this one. Guess that’s why it got saved for last.
I will add some pictures.