From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...>
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2020 5:07 AM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [HOn3] HOn3 PSC DL535 question

Well goodness me but lucky at the same. I cannot understand why anyone would go to the trouble of dropping the axles, puill off the wheels and then replacing the axles. It will be  much easier to just source the wheels.
But the livery.... yellow and lime green - clash!, clash!, clash! Never got on the the WP&Y pint job. Mine got a change of road.
Mark K

Robert Bell

Thank you all for the advice, pictures, and documents!  Y'all are great!

Rob

Sean

Has anybody over the years know if anyone published an article, gazette, RMC, MR, on kitbashing one of these in HOn3 from plastic, just curious?
 Sean

On Apr 12, 2020, at 14:28, Robert Bell via groups.io <ionhoss@...> wrote:

Thank you all for the advice, pictures, and documents!  Y'all are great!

Rob

Mike Conder

On Apr 12, 2020, at 14:28, Robert Bell via groups.io <ionhoss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thank you all for the advice, pictures, and documents!  Y'all are great!

Rob

John Stutz

Sean

Someone has modeled the White Pass in HO SG using ALCo RSDs as the basis for DL535Es.  I am probably recalling James Eakin's article in Short & Narrow Rails #23.  There was also an article on doing the wide style cab, in the April 1991 RMC.  Most of the detail castings used in Iron Horse Model's HOn3 DL535Es are available from Precision Scale, in both styrene and brass.

The references are from Eakin's "Modeling the White Pass", Railhead Publications, nd.  This reproduces most of what has been published in the modeling press, as well as a good deal of RR sourced material, and should be on the shelf of anyone interested in the White Pass,

John Stutz

On April 12, 2020 at 4:33 PM Sean <Cndrsean@...> wrote:

Has anybody over the years know if anyone published an article, gazette, RMC, MR, on kitbashing one of these in HOn3 from plastic, just curious?
 Sean

Robert Bell

John & Sean,
I remember somebody did an article using an old AHM Alco C420 body to replicate the DL535.  Is that the same article?  If so I have it somewhere.

Rob

Mark Kasprowicz

I'd agree with that. The lucky part is that they put the axles and gears back in. Sort of reminds me of when we were still restoring D&RGW 315 in Santa Rita Park. Sometime early in its retirement, someone had removed all the boiler plugs and then thought to throw them in the firebox. Saved the boiler.

Actually Mark, I believe that the Iron Horse DL535E's center axle and gear must be in the truck in order to power the outer axle. Its a rather busy design, with three idlers between each axle gear, and one of the idlers between the inner axles powered from the worm gear. There is appreciable lost motion between the outer axle and the one most directly driven.

John Stutz

On April 13, 2020 at 1:15 PM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

I'd agree with that. The lucky part is that they put the axles and gears back in. Sort of reminds me of when we were still restoring D&RGW 315 in Santa Rita Park. Sometime early in its retirement, someone had removed all the boiler plugs and then thought to throw them in the firebox. Saved the boiler.

Update on the D&S ...

Keep Mark K's photos, may become real.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 12:58 PM John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:
Actually Mark, I believe that the Iron Horse DL535E's center axle and gear must be in the truck in order to power the outer axle. Its a rather busy design, with three idlers between each axle gear, and one of the idlers between the inner axles powered from the worm gear. There is appreciable lost motion between the outer axle and the one most directly driven.

John Stutz

On April 13, 2020 at 1:15 PM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

I'd agree with that. The lucky part is that they put the axles and gears back in. Sort of reminds me of when we were still restoring D&RGW 315 in Santa Rita Park. Sometime early in its retirement, someone had removed all the boiler plugs and then thought to throw them in the firebox. Saved the boiler.

Mark K

Jim Spencer

I, too, have a pair of unpainted DL-535s.  Like the two in the photo painted Rio Grande, I bought mine with the same idea: to make them what-might-have-been Rio Grande. I also have a pair of "shovelnose" GE 90s that I have planned to paint with the aspen gold four stripe scheme and pull modern dome passenger cars, again what-might-have-been.

I rode the White Pass from Whitehorse to Skagway in 1973.  These locos brought back some memories.  73, their 2-8-2 was sitting on display out in the weather in front of Lake Bennett.  Glad to see it was restored and operating.  And I have seen one of the three full width cab versions of the DL-535 on the Plaster City RR in way southern California.

I wonder how many of them were sold to Rio Grande fans who had the same idea.

Also, when in Peru, I rode behind the 3' gauge DL-535s on the railroad to Machu Pichu and saw some of the shovel noses in Argentina on their meter gauge, maybe also in Equador on their 3'-6" gauge.  I suspect there is a market for these models south of the Equator.

TED

Well with 4 of them going to the Durango and Silverton they just may get their wish. Although the D&S is saying they wont be painted in Rio Grande paint. Hey who knows, with the DL535 coming to the continental US someone might do them in HO.
Ted

lloyd lehrer

TED, ITS the contiguous United States. Alaska is in the continental US.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

--
lloyd lehrer

Ric Case

I too have one, it is a really noisy unit! I bought a decoder for it but the gear noise drowned out the diesel sound.
Also had to spend about thirty hours replacing both of the end beams and details that were broken off  . Loco runs great now just noisy. Any one else have this problem.
I’ve pretty much been the only one to run since new!
I painted it black, was going to letter it for the EBT!
Still will just need to cleanup the body and then repaint and letter!
Would like to have a pair of the GE units. Maybe some day!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Apr 13, 2020, at 8:14 PM, Jim Spencer <trainmanjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard

Ric, I too have 2 of them and the noise on mine was from the drive shafts, after replacing them with rubber tubing that quieted them down quite a bit.
Richard in Tehachapi

Richard Cantrell

richardc8825@...

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 07:19:20 PM PDT, Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:

[...]

You know John you could be right. It's been a while since I had mine apart completely, the only 'recent' work was to swap out the old LC decoders and add Econamis and stay alives. Together they make a powerful unit and I use them double headed to push and pull track cleaning kit around. (but sometimes I just run them together because i think they look good!)
Mark K

Joe Schroeder

So what are the D&SNG ex-WP&Y Diesels going to look like?

Mike Conder

We’re all waiting for the D&S to settle on a scheme and publish it.  They did say it wasn’t going to be a Rio Grande scheme ... so no black with orange lettering I guess, or diesel bumblebees.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 1:10 PM Joe Schroeder <jjcklschroeder@...> wrote:
So what are the D&SNG ex-WP&Y Diesels going to look like?

Richard Johnson

Wait, the D&S bought WP&Y diesels?
I didnt hear that...
How many and which ones?
Regards from Coronaland all.
Rich Johnson

www.RichardSJohnson.net

"Those who enjoy freedom must endeavor to preserve it."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"
Thomas Jefferson

We’re all waiting for the D&S to settle on a scheme and publish it.  They did say it wasn’t going to be a Rio Grande scheme ... so no black with orange lettering I guess, or diesel bumblebees.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 1:10 PM Joe Schroeder <jjcklschroeder@...> wrote:
So what are the D&SNG ex-WP&Y Diesels going to look like?

Ken Martin

Richard,

They have bought four, 101 and 107 are on their way with two more to follow.

See press release:
http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/file.php?1,file=63584,filename=DSNGRR.WPY_Diesel_Engine_Acquisition.Press_Release.pdf

Ken Martin

On Apr 19, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Richard Johnson <killroy321@...> wrote: