Topics

HOn3 PSC DL535 question


Robert Bell
 

Greetings all,

When PSC did the DL535 kits, were there instructions?   I would appreciate a copy if anyone has a copy. 

Also, I am looking for 8 of the wheels for the DL535.  They are scale 36" dia. (0.413"), with a plastic (Delrin?) center, and fit a 1.75mm axle.  I have two kit-built models that are missing the middle set of wheels on each truck, they were missing when I acquired them last year. 

Please let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks!

Rob Bell
Waynesville, NC 


Mark Kasprowicz
 

The centre axles on the DL535's are geared. Not easy to find other than from a scrap model. I haven't checked mine but I think all six axles are the same, in which case one orther DL535 would supply both your models. There was only one run of them  and they do not come up for sale very frequently so finding a basket case may prove difficult. They sell for upwards of $500 so is $125 per axle reasonable?

You might consider having the axles turned uo by NWSL, the gears too, but it depends how much you're willing to pay to bring the two up to spec. Another option is to just make up a ungeared axle and perhaps use commerical wheels of the same diameter but different profile and have them as unpowered axles.

I have a couple of these, factory built  (I think) but was unaware they were offered as kits. One of them was a real basket case and needed comprehensive rebuilding. No instructions I fear.

Mark K


John Stutz
 

Rob

No instructions. They did provide 3 xerox's of photographic parts identification listings, but that is all that I have, and I do not currently have access to a scanner. I will try to get decent photographs.

Checking my kit, I find the drivers to be: insulated one side, scale 36" diameter, code 99 wheels on 2.02 mm axles, with 14-tooth gears 6.61mm OD, yielding a nominal .415 mm modulus. NWSL did not offer 36" wheels in Hon3, but any of their #31708, 31718, or 32268(?) HO SG code 88 NS 2mm axle wheel sets can be regauged and trimmed to fit. Note that the earlier plated versions of these used 3/32 axles, so are not substitutable. And you might want to substitute a steel axle to prevent galling. NWSL also offered .4mm modulus 14-tooth, 2.5mm bore gears as #314.6. These would require a sleeve to mount on the 2 mm axle, so I would go through their special replacement gear listing for a 14 tooth, 6.4mm OD, 2mm axle version.

Assuming you can find the parts, it should be fairly straightforward to replace and power the missing wheel sets.

John Stutz

On April 9, 2020 at 6:10 AM "Robert Bell via groups.io" <ionhoss@...> wrote:

Greetings all,

When PSC did the DL535 kits, were there instructions?   I would appreciate a copy if anyone has a copy. 

Also, I am looking for 8 of the wheels for the DL535.  They are scale 36" dia. (0.413"), with a plastic (Delrin?) center, and fit a 1.75mm axle.  I have two kit-built models that are missing the middle set of wheels on each truck, they were missing when I acquired them last year. 

Please let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks!

Rob Bell
Waynesville, NC 


 


 

I have this kit and dug out the picture pages and scanned them.  Hope this helps.


Climax@...
 

Bruce:  You better have lots of jigs and be good at soldering with several temperatures of solder, lots of flux and possibley a resistance soldering unit.
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Dunlevy
Sent: Apr 11, 2020 11:56 AM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] HOn3 PSC DL535 question

I have this kit and dug out the picture pages and scanned them.  Hope this helps.


Robert Bell
 

John, 
I'm not missing the wheel sets, just the middle wheels of each truck.  All the rest of the wheels have what looks to be a delrin center with a metal (nickel plated brass?) tire (rim).  Axles are all there and I checked the ends of them with calipers to get the measurement if 1.75mm.

Rob.







John Stutz
 

Rob

My misunderstanding, and your luck!

My 2.02 mm axle measurement was taken between the wheels with a metric digital caliper, and yours at the smaller wheel mounting stubs. This means you can, in principle, replace the center axles with 2mm full length stock and fit both your axle gear and the previously mentioned NWSL wheels. Which avoids the iffy question of sourcing an appropriate axle gear.

Regarding wheel centers, the wheels closer to the gears have blackened brass(?) centers. Only the top wheels in your photographs have the delrin centers. The electrical path in these locomotives is in via 3 wheels on one truck, through the motor, and out through the opposite side's wheels on the other truck.

The body is isolated from the trucks and track, very desirable for locomotives expected to operate in randomly oriented multiples on our far less than prototypical radius curves and turnouts. Remember that White Pass operated these in sets of up to six, enough to yank couplers out of their steel cars if the engineers were not careful. They actually pulled one end of the frame off of a couple of the former UTLX narrow frame tanks, but those had been cracked and patched before the cars left Colorado

John Stutz

On April 11, 2020 at 12:20 PM "Robert Bell via groups.io" <ionhoss@...> wrote:

John, 
I'm not missing the wheel sets, just the middle wheels of each truck.  All the rest of the wheels have what looks to be a delrin center with a metal (nickel plated brass?) tire (rim).  Axles are all there and I checked the ends of them with calipers to get the measurement if 1.75mm.

Rob.







 


Mark Kasprowicz
 

Well goodness me but lucky at the same. I cannot understand why anyone would go to the trouble of dropping the axles, puill off the wheels and then replacing the axles. It will be  much easier to just source the wheels.
But the livery.... yellow and lime green - clash!, clash!, clash! Never got on the the WP&Y pint job. Mine got a change of road.
Mark K


Mark Kasprowicz
 

So why is it that some can attach photo to their messages while others cannot. I thought I'd attached a photo of my 535's to my previous mail but it never made it. So it's in the photos secrion under MK Stuff instead.

Mark K


Mike Conder
 

I don't know, let me test something.  Attaching a couple of photos now ...

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 5:14 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
So why is it that some can attach photo to their messages while others cannot. I thought I'd attached a photo of my 535's to my previous mail but it never made it. So it's in the photos secrion under MK Stuff instead.

Mark K


Mike Conder
 

... and now trying through the website instead of email browser ....

Mike Conder


Mike Conder
 

So it worked for me ... though as owner I'm never sure if I have more rights than others to do things.

PEBKAC?

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 7:30 AM Mike Conder via groups.io <vulturenest1=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
... and now trying through the website instead of email browser ....

Mike Conder


Russ Norris
 

I got the pictures.

Russ

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 9:29 AM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
I don't know, let me test something.  Attaching a couple of photos now ...

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 5:14 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
So why is it that some can attach photo to their messages while others cannot. I thought I'd attached a photo of my 535's to my previous mail but it never made it. So it's in the photos secrion under MK Stuff instead.

Mark K


--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/


Mike Conder
 

Thanks Russ.   I assume same photos from 2 separate emails?

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 7:32 AM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
I got the pictures.

Russ

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 9:29 AM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
I don't know, let me test something.  Attaching a couple of photos now ...

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 5:14 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
So why is it that some can attach photo to their messages while others cannot. I thought I'd attached a photo of my 535's to my previous mail but it never made it. So it's in the photos secrion under MK Stuff instead.

Mark K


--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/


Mark Kasprowicz
 

OK, test 2


Mark Kasprowicz
 

Old Polish joke punchline = Aha!
Thanks Mike


kevin b
 

OK, test 2

good lookin' engines.
and congrats on getting the pics to post.
thanks.
Kevin.


Mike Conder
 

No problem Mark, glad it worked.

Mike Conder


On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 9:54 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
Old Polish joke punchline = Aha!
Thanks Mike


Mike Conder
 

And nice photo too ... that's what they SHOULD look like, in Colorado and on the narrow gauge & in front of a D&RGW building.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 11:09 AM kevin b via groups.io <arcatruck13=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
OK, test 2

good lookin' engines.
and congrats on getting the pics to post.
thanks.
Kevin.


David Laverick
 

Nice work.

On Apr 12, 2020, at 8:31 AM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

So it worked for me ... though as owner I'm never sure if I have more rights than others to do things.

PEBKAC?

Mike Conder

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 7:30 AM Mike Conder via groups.io <vulturenest1=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
... and now trying through the website instead of email browser ....

Mike Conder