HOn3 Drivers


Eric Schrowang
 

Are there any suppliers of HOn3 drivers? I know Precision Scale has unmachined ones. I would rather not invest in a lathe and milling machine at this point.

Thank You 
Eric 


Alan Kilby
 

Greenway products make HO drivers you may be able to regauge them.
Alan


Eric Schrowang
 

Thank you,
The smallest they have is a 51 inch driver. There is a treasure trove for HO and On30 though.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021, 9:43 PM Alan Kilby <alankilby@...> wrote:
Greenway products make HO drivers you may be able to regauge them.
Alan


Kent Hinton
 

https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Locomotive_Driving_Wheels_.html

They even offer an HOn3 axle to match their square wheel hubs.

Kent


John Stutz
 

Eric

NWSL once offered 45" square counterweight HOn3 driver sets, and they may occasionally turn up.  Wiseman has offered the SSL kit (advertised but never sold under their name) for the NPC cab forward 4-4-0, which apparently used the NWSL drivers, also a chassis kit that included two pair of drivers.  I do not know if either is still available.

Alan Gibson Models, in England, produces a wide range of OO scale drivers, and some of the smallest ones are suitable for HOn3.  The current catalogue is available at http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Catalogue.pdf.  Diameters are given in OO(4mm scale) feet and inches, or alternately in millimeters, so some conversion is needed: divide the metric diameter by 3.5 and multiply by 12 for HO inches.  These drivers have 1/8" steel axles, engineering resin (delren?) centers and steel tires. Tires are available for OO finescale/EM and S4 "gauges", all 4mm scale but which differ in British modeling practice.  OO/EM tires are roughly the RP25 code 88 profile normally used in HOn3, the wheels supplied with two axles.  S4 are exact OO scale British SG.  Wheel centers are a push fit on axles, so fairly easy to regauge and quarter.  Crank pin holes are pre-molded, and crank pins use a steel screw from the back, with a sleeve bearing retained by a nut.  Due to the very wide variety of counterweights used on British prototypes, these are omitted, so the user can provide an appropriate style. 

The smallest drivers offered are 11mm, 10-spoke, scaling 37.7" in HO.  Plain wheels down to 10.5mm = 36", on 2mm axles, suitable for outside frame engines, are also available. 

John Stutz

On March 12, 2021 6:28 PM Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:
Are there any suppliers of HOn3 drivers? I know Precision Scale has unmachined ones. I would rather not invest in a lathe and milling machine at this point.

Thank You 
Eric 


martin feldwick
 

PSC also make a full set of C16 drivers with tyres.A UK company Markits make some H0n3 drivers and axles or at least used to .It’s not a speedy company to deal with evidently .
Hope it helps
Martin

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 07:56, John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:
Eric

NWSL once offered 45" square counterweight HOn3 driver sets, and they may occasionally turn up.  Wiseman has offered the SSL kit (advertised but never sold under their name) for the NPC cab forward 4-4-0, which apparently used the NWSL drivers, also a chassis kit that included two pair of drivers.  I do not know if either is still available.

Alan Gibson Models, in England, produces a wide range of OO scale drivers, and some of the smallest ones are suitable for HOn3.  The current catalogue is available at http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Catalogue.pdf.  Diameters are given in OO(4mm scale) feet and inches, or alternately in millimeters, so some conversion is needed: divide the metric diameter by 3.5 and multiply by 12 for HO inches.  These drivers have 1/8" steel axles, engineering resin (delren?) centers and steel tires. Tires are available for OO finescale/EM and S4 "gauges", all 4mm scale but which differ in British modeling practice.  OO/EM tires are roughly the RP25 code 88 profile normally used in HOn3, the wheels supplied with two axles.  S4 are exact OO scale British SG.  Wheel centers are a push fit on axles, so fairly easy to regauge and quarter.  Crank pin holes are pre-molded, and crank pins use a steel screw from the back, with a sleeve bearing retained by a nut.  Due to the very wide variety of counterweights used on British prototypes, these are omitted, so the user can provide an appropriate style. 

The smallest drivers offered are 11mm, 10-spoke, scaling 37.7" in HO.  Plain wheels down to 10.5mm = 36", on 2mm axles, suitable for outside frame engines, are also available. 

John Stutz

On March 12, 2021 6:28 PM Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:
Are there any suppliers of HOn3 drivers? I know Precision Scale has unmachined ones. I would rather not invest in a lathe and milling machine at this point.

Thank You 
Eric 


kevin b
 

to all:
had a look at the website:
prices are in pounds, so i did a quick check on a conversion table.
1 driver is 3.6 pounds, which turned out to be 5.1 US dollars.
personally, i don't think that's too bad.
'course, you need axles, and contact wipers, and i suppose, connecting rods and  crank pins, didn't see those, but did not study the website to death either.
as for shipping?
no idea.
i am giving serious consideration towards making an order for a future loco project.

Kevin.


https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Locomotive_Driving_Wheels_.html

They even offer an HOn3 axle to match their square wheel hubs.

Kent


Alan Kilby
 

Bachmann sells drivers reasonably priced look at their site under order parts.
Alan


Climax@...
 

I just did a conversion and found that two rolls of pennies ($1.00) equals a Pound.
snicker.
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: "kevin b via groups.io"
Sent: Mar 13, 2021 9:50 AM
To: "HOn3@groups.io"
Subject: Re: [HOn3] HOn3 Drivers

to all:
had a look at the website:
prices are in pounds, so i did a quick check on a conversion table.
1 driver is 3.6 pounds, which turned out to be 5.1 US dollars.
personally, i don't think that's too bad.
'course, you need axles, and contact wipers, and i suppose, connecting rods and  crank pins, didn't see those, but did not study the website to death either.
as for shipping?
no idea.
i am giving serious consideration towards making an order for a future loco project.

Kevin.


https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Locomotive_Driving_Wheels_.html

They even offer an HOn3 axle to match their square wheel hubs.

Kent


kevin b
 

lol,,, er yea, 'cept the brits want that in silver, not copper.....
Kevion.

On Saturday, March 13, 2021, 08:55:08 AM CST, <climax@...> wrote:


I just did a conversion and found that two rolls of pennies ($1.00) equals a Pound.
snicker.
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: "kevin b via groups.io"
Sent: Mar 13, 2021 9:50 AM
To: "HOn3@groups.io"
Subject: Re: [HOn3] HOn3 Drivers

to all:
had a look at the website:
prices are in pounds, so i did a quick check on a conversion table.
1 driver is 3.6 pounds, which turned out to be 5.1 US dollars.
personally, i don't think that's too bad.
'course, you need axles, and contact wipers, and i suppose, connecting rods and  crank pins, didn't see those, but did not study the website to death either.
as for shipping?
no idea.
i am giving serious consideration towards making an order for a future loco project.

Kevin.


https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Locomotive_Driving_Wheels_.html

They even offer an HOn3 axle to match their square wheel hubs.

Kent


Climax@...
 

Its going to take me a while to use Floquil Silver paint on them!

-----Original Message-----
From: "kevin b via groups.io"
Sent: Mar 13, 2021 9:56 AM
To: "HOn3@groups.io"
Subject: Re: [HOn3] HOn3 Drivers

lol,,, er yea, 'cept the brits want that in silver, not copper.....
Kevion.

On Saturday, March 13, 2021, 08:55:08 AM CST, <climax@...> wrote:


I just did a conversion and found that two rolls of pennies ($1.00) equals a Pound.
snicker.
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: "kevin b via groups.io"
Sent: Mar 13, 2021 9:50 AM
To: "HOn3@groups.io"
Subject: Re: [HOn3] HOn3 Drivers

to all:
had a look at the website:
prices are in pounds, so i did a quick check on a conversion table.
1 driver is 3.6 pounds, which turned out to be 5.1 US dollars.
personally, i don't think that's too bad.
'course, you need axles, and contact wipers, and i suppose, connecting rods and  crank pins, didn't see those, but did not study the website to death either.
as for shipping?
no idea.
i am giving serious consideration towards making an order for a future loco project.

Kevin.


https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Locomotive_Driving_Wheels_.html

They even offer an HOn3 axle to match their square wheel hubs.

Kent


Nigel Phillips
 

The other UK supplier I use is Ultrascale (ultrascale.uk), pricy but high quality. They mostly make to order, long wait (currently 5 months). They do commission work. May not have rimless tires, probably do them to order. I get my EM gauge wheels from them (18.2mm) when converting RTR OO models.

Nigel

On Friday, March 12, 2021, Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:
Are there any suppliers of HOn3 drivers? I know Precision Scale has unmachined ones. I would rather not invest in a lathe and milling machine at this point.

Thank You 
Eric 


John Hutnick
 

For all of our discussion re British drivers, do they sell axles for HOn3?


kevin b
 

yes

On Sunday, March 14, 2021, 09:28:29 AM CDT, John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:


For all of our discussion re British drivers, do they sell axles for HOn3?


John Stutz
 

On March 14, 2021 7:28 AM John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:

For all of our discussion re British drivers, do they sell axles for HOn3?
The self-quartering square end axles may be available in HOn3 length, but do read the fine print and make certain that you are not getting OOn3 axles.  The different scales have different gauges: 10.5mm vs. 12mm. and these axles are not easily shortened.

For the engineering resin centered wheels, Alan Gibson & etc., unless special ordered, you would get plain steel OO or S4 axles that will need to be trimmed down. 

Filing such short pieces to specific length and square is not difficult if you have a 'toolmakers' vise.  You want one like the Micromark 60282 or 21134, but a Harbor Freight version will do just as well.  The idea is to use the vise's extended side surfaces to guide your file, for both depth and squareness.  So set your rough cut stock in between paper shims in the vise jaws' horizontal groove, lightly held with the rough cut end just within the jaws.  Set your vernier caliper to the difference between the vise jaws' width and your desired length, lock the setting, and use the depth gauge to push the stock's extra length out of the vise.  Tighten the jaws and file off the excess.  This gives your length, closer to square than any of us can do freehand. 

John Stutz


Eric Schrowang
 

John,
Good point, however I looked at the website and the axel is listed specifically for HOn3.

Eric

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021, 4:36 PM John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:
On March 14, 2021 7:28 AM John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:

For all of our discussion re British drivers, do they sell axles for HOn3?
The self-quartering square end axles may be available in HOn3 length, but do read the fine print and make certain that you are not getting OOn3 axles.  The different scales have different gauges: 10.5mm vs. 12mm. and these axles are not easily shortened.

For the engineering resin centered wheels, Alan Gibson & etc., unless special ordered, you would get plain steel OO or S4 axles that will need to be trimmed down. 

Filing such short pieces to specific length and square is not difficult if you have a 'toolmakers' vise.  You want one like the Micromark 60282 or 21134, but a Harbor Freight version will do just as well.  The idea is to use the vise's extended side surfaces to guide your file, for both depth and squareness.  So set your rough cut stock in between paper shims in the vise jaws' horizontal groove, lightly held with the rough cut end just within the jaws.  Set your vernier caliper to the difference between the vise jaws' width and your desired length, lock the setting, and use the depth gauge to push the stock's extra length out of the vise.  Tighten the jaws and file off the excess.  This gives your length, closer to square than any of us can do freehand. 

John Stutz


Nigel Phillips
 

Hi John,

Mostly OO, EM or P4. Alan Gibson Workshop axles are push fit, just cut OO ones to size. You could ask the owner to cut to size. Wheels come with the axle. Markits wheels are square keyed and can only be used with Markits axles, the 2013 catalog has HOn3 axles and extensions (for outside frames) listed. Have a look at the online catalog. You have to buy the wheels and the axles separately. You cannot mix Gibson and Markits wheels and axles.  Markits wheels have die cast centers with the rims press fitted over an insulating layer or are fully live. Select as required depending on whether you will have rim pickups or a live chassis. Avoid old ones on eBay, they will often have pizza cutter rims which will fall off. The rims can be reprofiled on the lathe. There is a UK company that sells plastic centered driving wheels that use Markits axles. Scalelink.co.uk 

Markits is a one-man company, contact before ordering for availability and pricing. Same for Alan Gibson Workshop. Scalelink  shipping is pricey for a small order. Peter's Spares in the UK also has some Markits wheels. 

Britishmodeltrains.ca is a lot closer (Ontario, Canada) and stocks the common Gibson and Markits driving wheels, axles, etc. 

One issue is flanged vs flangeless drivers. Markits are available as both, Not sure about Alan Gibson. Ask.

Nigel


On Sunday, March 14, 2021, John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:
For all of our discussion re British drivers, do they sell axles for HOn3?