HOn3 Couplers for PSC C-19 Locos (T-19 also)

Wayne

Has anyone had experience trying to install couplers on the tender of a PSC C-19?  I recently acquired RGS #'s 40 and 41 in new condition.  The rear deck of the tender is pre-drilled for a coupler but there is no way a KaDee HOn3 coupler will fit in the space.  An N scale KaDee coupler will fit but the positioning of the rear truck is such that the wheels hit the side of the coupler, allowing for virtually no room for turning - probably wouldn't be able to negotiate even a 48" radius curve.  The same applies to the PSC RGS #25.

gnorwood6 gnorwood6

Wayne,
No problems fitting Kadee #714 to the tender of RGS 25.
There is a raised mounting pad on the tender floor that is the correct height for mounting Kadee #714.
It has an existing hole that is threaded for mounting screw.
All that needs to changed is to remove to lip on the Kadee coupler cover plate. The #714 will fit without any problems.
Attached is a photo of the underside of my RGS 25 tender with the rear truck removed.
Also attached is photo of RGS 25 coupled to an E&B Valley/MRGS 5500 stock car.
Regards,
Gary

Wayne

Thanks for the information.  The problem was never installing the #714 coupler but, rather, the clearance for the rear tender truck.  With the 714 installed the truck would barely rotate until it bound.  I solved the problem by installing a Magne-Matic N scale coupler #1025 and then modifying the truck frame with a Dremel tool and grinding stone tip .  The PSC trucks are made of brass and they have brake shoes molded on, so that makes the total length of the truck greater.  PSC left waaaay too much clearance between the brake shoe and the wheel, so that the trailing edge of the truck assembly bumps against the wider 714 coupler, restricting the turning radius of the tender.  Also, the screws included with the couplers are 00-90 and PSC pre-drills the tender coupler hole for a 1.2mm screw, so one has to provide the correct screw.
P.S.  Years ago, back when there were real hobby shops, the owner of the now defunct Trains West in Albuquerque became my narrow gauge mentor.  He recommended always using N scale KaDee couplers on HOn3 rolling stock instead of the HOn3 couplers because they were more scale realistic and I have been doing so since the 90's, though I still use the #714 occasionally.

Russ Norris

Thanks for the info, Wayne.  Just as an aside, when I rebuilt an AHM 0-6-0 SP switcher to resemble EBT standard gauge #6, I had to figure out how to do the dual couplers fore and aft.  The EBT had two standard gauge switchers and both standard and narrow gauge couplers.  I ended up using a KD 714 for the standard gauge and a KD narrow gauge coupler for the narrow gauge.  The 714 couples nicely to a KD #5 and the N gauge coupler mates with the 714's.  And it looks more prototypical.

Russ