HO scale gears

Eric Schrowang

Good Afternoon all,
I am looking for a source of HO scale gears I am doing a project for, but not having any luck. This is a static model so I don't need anything fancy. 3D printed or cast resin would work fine.

Thank You

Eric

martin feldwick

Ebay sell plastic gears .you can buy a whole bunch for robots and models cheaply from china.A great source of non specific gears

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 10:29 PM Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:
Good Afternoon all,
I am looking for a source of HO scale gears I am doing a project for, but not having any luck. This is a static model so I don't need anything fancy. 3D printed or cast resin would work fine.

Thank You

Eric

John Stutz

Eric

When John Cummings, now deceased, was with NWSL, they offered a range of 0.3mm modulus straight tooth gears intended for use in logging engine models.  I have no idea if these are currently available.

I once ran across some fairly fine pitch gears intended for light electric flying models, while pursuing small size coreless motors from Ebay.  I think they were about 0.2mm modulus, but the size range was quite limited.  I've no idea what the website was, but you might search for such sites.

I can supply 16mm ID Fulharber ~1008:1 spur gearheads, with, I believe, 0.1mm modulus gears, so 1/3 the tooth size of NWSL's smallest.  Without checking, I believe these use 5 stages of 9-tooth x 1.5mm long pinons and 31-tooth x 0.5mm thick gears, with a much heftier 13:27 output stage.  These were removed from gear-head motors purchased from a local surplus store ~20 years ago, and might still be usable.

And of course, if you have access to any old windup watches, the smaller ones contain really fine gears.

John Stutz

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 10:29 PM Eric Schrowang < eschrowang@...> wrote:
Good Afternoon all,
I am looking for a source of HO scale gears I am doing a project for, but not having any luck. This is a static model so I don't need anything fancy. 3D printed or cast resin would work fine.

Eric Schrowang

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I went to ebay and put small gears in the search bar and found a guy out of FL. Selling old watch gears. These will serve me well.
Thank you again for all your help.

Eric

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021, 7:21 PM John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:
[...]

Climax@...

a while back, maybe 2 years, I was at one of the train shows up in West Springfield MS and found a guy who was making all kinds of gears laser cut out of wood.  I can dig around and see if I can find the sheet.  They were so neat I had to buy a sheet even though I didn't have a use for them.  If I find them I can take a picture of them and send it to you.

[...]

Brian Kopp

Eric,
I agree with you on your decision. Some of the watch gear guys target the steampunk art market and sell gears in punches really cheap. They make great donkey engine gears, saw mill blades, and belt drive system pieces. They sell them in $10 bunches that last a while......

Brian

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Dave was this the guy?
I bought a 2-pack of his 72" saw mill blades last fall for that mill I have yet to build.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HO-Scale-72-Saw-Mill-Circular-Saw-Blades-Metallic-Accessories-High-Detail/333141740345?hash=item4d90cb8b39:g:OBcAAOSwEzxYYR4y

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Climax@...

Don't think so but he may make these as well.  If  you send me, privately your phone number I can send you a picture of it plus the label that came on the package.  It is all gears.
Dave  Climax@...

I bought a 2-pack of his 72" saw mill blades last fall for that mill I have yet to build.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HO-Scale-72-Saw-Mill-Circular-Saw-Blades-Metallic-Accessories-High-Detail/333141740345?hash=item4d90cb8b39:g:OBcAAOSwEzxYYR4y

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Climax@...

I got a bunch of this kind of stuff to include winding stems, cases, frames, gears, springs, and all kinds of crap back in the 1960's from a local watch repair man for only a couple bucks.    That's another profession that seems to have fallen by the way side in our throw away society.

I agree with you on your decision. Some of the watch gear guys target the steampunk art market and sell gears in punches really cheap. They make great donkey engine gears, saw mill blades, and belt drive system pieces. They sell them in $10 bunches that last a while......

Brian

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Eric Schrowang

Thank You Brian. I am building a green chain for my One man sawmill and was having a heck of a time finding 12" HO gears. These watch gears are going to work well. I will build one from brass tubing and the gear, make a mold and cast the rest from resin.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021, 9:39 AM Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:
Eric,
I agree with you on your decision. Some of the watch gear guys target the steampunk art market and sell gears in punches really cheap. They make great donkey engine gears, saw mill blades, and belt drive system pieces. They sell them in $10 bunches that last a while......

Brian

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

John Hutnick

Regarding watch repair, we may simply not associate with people who spend enough money on a watch to make it worthy of repair.  High end mechanical watches are a substantial part of the market.

Nigel Phillips

Hi Eric,

Gears are gears. Some are small enough to work in HO. NWSL carry quite a range. If you want  to drive a mechanism at low RPM consider a gearhead motor. I have used these along with a PWM controller for driving turntables at 1 rpm. No intermediate gears required. Amazon or eBay for the gearhead motor (4 rpm from memory), eBay for the 12v PWM controller. Various adapters are available to match shafts.

Nigel