Topics

Great video about Creede, Colorado

Darryl Huffman

On Youtube, search for:

Colorado Experience: Creede

Dale Buxton

I saw that last week on RMPBS. Great story about the town. The last time I was there was when I was a kid in the mid 1960's. Several of the mines were still open then and and the town still had the feel of a small Colorado mining camp. Its changed greatly and for the better I think. About 4 weeks "The Colorado Experience" did a show on the "Ludlow Massacre". A very important story told there.

As a Colorado native it always shocks me how many state residents know nothing about this story. The bitter blood shed that took place in lands between Walsenberg and Trinidad. That these strikes and open warfare between the mine workers, mine owners and state malitia really gave birth to the union movements in this country. The United Mine Wotrkers of America and the Teamsters can trace their beginnings to this watershed moment in time. And it was all because Immigrants, people that were coerced to come to Colorado from many parts of Europe to work. Simply wanted to be treated decently and be paid fairly. To just get a shot at the American dream. How quickly we forget how far we've come and how hard it was to get here.

Dale Buxton