Topics

Grandt C & S Bettendorf vs Micro Trains

Dusty

It appears the Micro Trains bettendorf truck bolsters sit about .020 higher than the Grandt trucks. Any opinion on removing material from the MT bolster or the car bolster or something else entirely.

Any experience?

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Ric Case

Dusty : Ihave done both! Just depends on how much you need to remove!
Careful with the bolster as you may get wheel of truck to frame interference!
The brake shoes are also a problem with drag on some trucks!
I have taken the brake shoes off of most of the fifty plus pair I am using!
Just my view !

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Aug 30, 2020, at 6:31 PM, Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

It appears the Micro Trains bettendorf truck bolsters sit about .020 higher than the Grandt trucks. Any opinion on removing material from the MT bolster or the car bolster or something else entirely.

Any experience?

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

John Stutz

Dusty

I would take the difference off of the car bolster. That slight ring on the truck bolster helps the car track over any variation in track levels, and you can always add a .020" washer if converting back to Grandt.

If car body wobble is a problem, Kadee makes a wide variety of coil compression springs for their various scale couplers. Find one that fits over your truck screws, cut a short length, just a few turns, and place it under the screw head of one truck, leaving the other slightly loose. If that does not suffice, add body bolster side bearings, with just a hair's clearance, for the sprung down truck.

John Stutz