Galloping Goose - pulled cars ?

Bodo Rasler

Hello Group,

I searched via Google and looked through my 8 volumes of RGS but found no answers!

1. Did the RGS Galloping Goose ever pull a freight or passenger car?
2. Was a Galloping Goose ever used by D&RG / W as a MOW car? And if so, how was it lettered?

Thanks
Bodo Rasler
Berlin / Germany

STAFFE Michel

No, the geese never pulled cars, exept the #6 for a specific trailer.

Michel

Le 21 oct. 2021 à 13:37, Bodo Rasler <raslerb@...> a écrit :

Hello Group,

I searched via Google and looked through my 8 volumes of RGS but found no answers!

1. Did the RGS Galloping Goose ever pull a freight or passenger car?
2. Was a Galloping Goose ever used by D&RG / W as a MOW car? And if so, how was it lettered?

Thanks
Bodo Rasler
Berlin / Germany

One was used to dismantle the RGS.

Bruce Dunlevy

On Oct 21, 2021, at 12:59 PM, STAFFE Michel via groups.io <m.staffe@...> wrote:

No, the geese never pulled cars, exept the #6 for a specific trailer.

Michel

Le 21 oct. 2021 à 13:37, Bodo Rasler <raslerb@...> a écrit :

Hello Group,

I searched via Google and looked through my 8 volumes of RGS but found no answers!

1. Did the RGS Galloping Goose ever pull a freight or passenger car?
2. Was a Galloping Goose ever used by D&RG / W as a MOW car? And if so, how was it lettered?

Thanks
Bodo Rasler
Berlin / Germany

Dale Buxton

Yes! There is at least one photo of goose 6 or 7 ( can't remember which and  not sure of the location) pulling a flatcar during scrapping operations. It surely had to be pulling this load down hill though.

On Oct 21, 2021, at 12:59 PM, STAFFE Michel via groups.io <m.staffe=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

No, the geese never pulled cars, exept the #6 for a specific trailer.

Michel

Le 21 oct. 2021 à 13:37, Bodo Rasler <raslerb@...> a écrit :

Hello Group,

I searched via Google and looked through my 8 volumes of RGS but found no answers!

1. Did the RGS Galloping Goose ever pull a freight or passenger car?
2. Was a Galloping Goose ever used by D&RG / W as a MOW car? And if so, how was it lettered?

Thanks
Bodo Rasler
Berlin / Germany

Mark Kasprowicz

Edited

The 7 with the body stripped off, a winch in place and towing.a gon appears in a handful of photos - Stan Reine's "Tin Feathers' and CRRM's Goose volume. But I have yet to find a photo of 6 towing and I wonder whether we assume that as Lambert made a box for their HOn3  6 to tow (and run!) the real thing had one too.

Don't know.

Mark K

Randy Hees

I believe the answer to both questions is no...   A goose was at best a very light piece of equipment, without couplers, but equipped with light drawbars to allow it to be towed.  The Geese were RGS owned, not D&RGW.  While the two railroads shared facilities, they were separate operations.

Randy

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 10:37 AM Bodo Rasler <raslerb@...> wrote:
Hello Group,

I searched via Google and looked through my 8 volumes of RGS but found no answers!

1. Did the RGS Galloping Goose ever pull a freight or passenger car?
2. Was a Galloping Goose ever used by D&RG / W as a MOW car? And if so, how was it lettered?

Thanks
Bodo Rasler
Berlin / Germany

Nigel Phillips

RGS Galloping Geese were essentially articulated units and towed the body around. Why RGS didn't have passenger bodies interchangeable with freight bodies beats me. Lack of pulling power?  I was fortunate a few years ago to be given the run of the engine yard at Knott's Berry Farm as the trains were not running to a festival, No coupler on the back.

Nigel

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:32 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

The 7 with the body stripped off, a winch in place and towing.a gon appears in a handful of photos - Stan Reine's "Tin Feathers' and CRRM's Goose volume. But I have yet to find a photo of 6 towing and I wonder whether we assume that as Lambert made a box for their HOn3  6 to tow (and run!) the real thing had one too.

Don't know.

I got to ride in one of the NBF Goosie's about a decade ago.  I was so busy looking at the rest of the stuff we were passing that I missed out on a lot of goosie stuff.  I guess I got over task saturated!

Mule

RGS Galloping Geese were essentially articulated units and towed the body around. Why RGS didn't have passenger bodies interchangeable with freight bodies beats me. Lack of pulling power?  I was fortunate a few years ago to be given the run of the engine yard at Knott's Berry Farm as the trains were not running to a festival, No coupler on the back.

Nigel

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:32 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

The 7 with the body stripped off, a winch in place and towing.a gon appears in a handful of photos - Stan Reine's "Tin Feathers' and CRRM's Goose volume. But I have yet to find a photo of 6 towing and I wonder whether we assume that as Lambert made a box for their HOn3  6 to tow (and run!) the real thing had one too.

Don't know.

Except they weren't articulated ... 😉

Mike Conder

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 9:24 AM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:
RGS Galloping Geese were essentially articulated units and towed the body around. Why RGS didn't have passenger bodies interchangeable with freight bodies beats me. Lack of pulling power?  I was fortunate a few years ago to be given the run of the engine yard at Knott's Berry Farm as the trains were not running to a festival, No coupler on the back.

Nigel

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:32 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

The 7 with the body stripped off, a winch in place and towing.a gon appears in a handful of photos - Stan Reine's "Tin Feathers' and CRRM's Goose volume. But I have yet to find a photo of 6 towing and I wonder whether we assume that as Lambert made a box for their HOn3  6 to tow (and run!) the real thing had one too.

Don't know.

tonyk537

Pulled cars during scrapping was it.

Climax@...

Looks like she was used as a rail puller

Pulled cars during scrapping was it.