FS; Two NIB MDC/Roundhouse HOn3 C-21/25's

NarrowMinded1

FS; Two NIB MDC/Roundhouse HOn3 C-21/25's with NWSL re-gear set and boiler lowering saddle. Newest (red box) version with DCC ready motor and nickel silver wheels. Asking $150 each plus shipping. Buy both and get free shipping. Contact me if you want pics. PayPal F&F or check.
--
Nathan Kline
Tiadaghton Valley Railroad & Coal Co.

AdamKP

Have these been sold yet?

AdamKP

Kinda suspected that, just thought I'd ask. thanks anyways.

Scott Baker

I have a couple questions if you don't mind regarding the Roundhouse kits:
1. What manufacturer produces or produced in the past the boiler lowering saddle?
2. Does NWSL still produce the re-gear kits? Also, do you know the NWSL product numbers for purchasing the gears separately as well?

Any help is welcome, thanks!
Scott

kevin b

I have a couple questions if you don't mind regarding the Roundhouse kits:
1. What manufacturer produces or produced in the past the boiler lowering saddle?
2. Does NWSL still produce the re-gear kits? Also, do you know the NWSL product numbers for purchasing the gears separately as well?
Any help is welcome, thanks!
Scott

here is a link to a boiler saddle on shapeways.

dunno who wrote the program or anything.

the MDC gear kits are:
184-6 for the 2-8-0 regear kit.
185-6 regear kit with motor.

i doubt they have either in stock.

might be you can find those gear sets on ebay?
swap meet? good luck.

Kevin.

Mark Kasprowicz

The Shapeways saddle is attributed to CESCO aka Mike Conder, owner (or co-owner) of this list. The original saddle can also be filed to the right profile but it takes a while. The original motor supplied with the remotor and regear kit was a Sagami, now long gone.

Not everyone had success building this kit and Steve Hatch who started this list wrote up his experiences. The document should be in the archives.

Finally the brass wheeled version was an even greater bear to get to run well as the brass would pick up ALL the dirt from the track. They need to be nickel plated by someone like Phil Floyd aka ShayFixer.

Mark K

Ken Martin

The company that made the original lowering saddle was called “PATCO”.
It has long been out of business and the owner passed away about four years ago.

Ken Martin
Sacramento

On May 12, 2021, at 3:24 AM, Scott Baker <sbake5570@...> wrote:

I have a couple questions if you don't mind regarding the Roundhouse kits:
1. What manufacturer produces or produced in the past the boiler lowering saddle?

Any help is welcome, thanks!
Scott
_

Mike Conder

Yes, I designed a replacement steam chest for my CESCO Shapeways shop.  I added more detail than the MDC or original PATCO steam chests.  I priced out basically at cost because the Shapeways shipping cost is so high.  This will allows the boiler to be lowered by approximately 1/8".

But don't forget that you have to do other work to let the boiler. You need to grind out some of the inside of the boiler to keep clearance for the original motor (not sure about the newer kids with can motors ... I don't have one to check).  Also, the can needs to be lowered and trimmed a bit too, basically reworking the holes for the tang at the end of the chassis ... hard to describe but pretty obvious when you look at it.

Scott Baker

Thanks for the information. I have an undisturbed kit I bought recently but I have too many other projects on the bench at the moment and haven't looked at it closely, but I thought the drivers were NS, but it does have the open frame motor. I though the NWSL kits were probably out of production but figured I could use any can motor rather than the Sagami if i could figure out which gears to buy. I will check out some of the info you recommended when i begin the work.

Thanks for the help.
Scott

bassb04011

The NWSL kits are still available on their website, just make sure you match up your version to the correct set. All had open frame motors but the earlier ones were bigger (2 mm shaft too I think) and newer had a smaller motor with flywheel.
Brian