Topics

Fasttracks #4 vs Shinohara #4

Dusty

I recently acquired a Fasttracks code 55 #4 switch fixture. Out of curiosity I set a Shinohara #4 on top of the fixture. They both 'end up' as #4 switches but between the stock rail end of the point rail and the frog they take different alignments.

The Shinohara appears to have a sharp kink at the points but a greater radius to the frog. The Blackstone appears more gradual near the point but a sharper radius between the frog and pivot of the points.

I'm curious if one is more 'kinked' than the other and how that may effect what you can run thru each switch. More desirable?

Thanks in advance,
Dusty Burman 

Alan Kilby

With nmra gauge check gauge throughout turnout I had a turnout that had a sudden tightening of radius before frog and rails were too wide before frog causing problems with wheel drop.I forget what brand it was.I always look for smooth glow no abrupt radius changes or out of gauge rails
Alan

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Dusty <dustburm@q.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 2:32:08 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: [HOn3] Fasttracks #4 vs Shinohara #4

I recently acquired a Fasttracks code 55 #4 switch fixture. Out of curiosity I set a Shinohara #4 on top of the fixture. They both 'end up' as #4 switches but between the stock rail end of the point rail and the frog they take different alignments.

The Shinohara appears to have a sharp kink at the points but a greater radius to the frog. The Blackstone appears more gradual near the point but a sharper radius between the frog and pivot of the points.

I'm curious if one is more 'kinked' than the other and how that may effect what you can run thru each switch. More desirable?

Thanks in advance,
Dusty Burman 

Steve Hatch

Anytime there  is a Kink  or reduced radius,
It makes the effective radius of the turnout much smaller.
 It may actually be a number three when there is a kink.
-Steve Hatch
Railway Engineering.

Dale Buxton

Yes! Thank you.

D Buxton

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 15:18 Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:
Anytime there  is a Kink  or reduced radius,
It makes the effective radius of the turnout much smaller.
 It may actually be a number three when there is a kink.
-Steve Hatch
Railway Engineering.