From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Dusty <dustburm@q.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 2:32:08 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: [HOn3] Fasttracks #4 vs Shinohara #4

I recently acquired a Fasttracks code 55 #4 switch fixture. Out of curiosity I set a Shinohara #4 on top of the fixture. They both 'end up' as #4 switches but between the stock rail end of the point rail and the frog they take different alignments.

The Shinohara appears to have a sharp kink at the points but a greater radius to the frog. The Blackstone appears more gradual near the point but a sharper radius between the frog and pivot of the points.

I'm curious if one is more 'kinked' than the other and how that may effect what you can run thru each switch. More desirable?

Thanks in advance,
Dusty Burman

Steve Hatch

Anytime there  is a Kink  or reduced radius,
It makes the effective radius of the turnout much smaller.
 It may actually be a number three when there is a kink.
-Steve Hatch
Railway Engineering.

Dale Buxton

Yes! Thank you.