Economy Scenery Materials

Dusty

Does anyone have experience using red 1/4" minus landscaping materials. Maybe more for cribbing back fill, tailings, overburden, tunneling waste and digging stuff than actual track ballast.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Mike Chamberlain

Didn't use that but I did use what they call screened limestone . Looks great on my Colorado N G layout ..........Mike

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 6:46 PM Dusty via groups.io <Dustburm=q.com@groups.io> wrote:
Does anyone have experience using red 1/4" minus landscaping materials. Maybe more for cribbing back fill, tailings, overburden, tunneling waste and digging stuff than actual track ballast.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Climax@...

I found a hill not too far from Pagosa Junction that had shale type of great rock and I filled up a half dozen coffee cans full of rock.  I am still using it and gave away 2 cans worth.  The cop that pulled up and stood behind me as I was filling the cans scared the crap out of me as I didn't know he was there.  He asked what I was doing and when I told him, his only remark was oh, one of those model railroad nuts we see up here.  He shook his head and walked away.

DAve

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jul 29, 2021 6:51 PM
To: <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Economy Scenery Materials

Didn't use that but I did use what they call screened limestone . Looks great on my Colorado N G layout ..........Mike

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 6:46 PM Dusty via groups.io <Dustburm=q.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 08:05 PM, <Climax@...> wrote:
"He asked what I was doing."  ..........Other possible answers..... Decorative mulch for wife's potted cactuses .......... Top side for casting garden concrete stepping stones. ...............  I have a bunch of large screw top glass jars full of various color small rocks and gravel lined up at the base of a backyard retaining wall.  Best trick for getting labels off, if the dishwasher won't do the job, is soaking in mineral spirits.  Find a soaking can just a bit larger in diameter than your favorite glass jar size to minmize the amount of mineral spirits you need.To keep the steel screw on tops from rusting and give them a uniform neutral color I painted them with red rustoleum primer. ...........The other thing I do is keep a collection kit in the back of my truck.  It contains ziplock bags, a trowel, a retired kitchen strainer (about window screen mesh size), a funnel to go under the strainer, an old hammer, a sharpie pen, and a long tape measure.  ...........EdW

Dusty

So far using a kitchen strainer I've separated out the stuff which is powdered and very fine. I'm thinking plain old window screen and maybe hardware cloth for the next steps to get some variety? Of course I'll probably end up mixing stuff back together. I'm trying to keep this simple with readily obtainable tools and end up with usable material. I'd like to obtain a fine ground cover for around the Grandt mill. Some more course material for cribbing back fill. The inevitable waste that gets removed from the mine and dumped down hill. Probably some wet stuff from the stamp mill.

I now have a greater respect for the people at Arizona Rock and Mineral!

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Alan Kilby

Run a magnet through it in case there's anything conductive.
Alan

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Dusty via groups.io <Dustburm@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2021 9:55:06 AM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>

So far using a kitchen strainer I've separated out the stuff which is powdered and very fine. I'm thinking plain old window screen and maybe hardware cloth for the next steps to get some variety? Of course I'll probably end up mixing stuff back together. I'm trying to keep this simple with readily obtainable tools and end up with usable material. I'd like to obtain a fine ground cover for around the Grandt mill. Some more course material for cribbing back fill. The inevitable waste that gets removed from the mine and dumped down hill. Probably some wet stuff from the stamp mill.

I now have a greater respect for the people at Arizona Rock and Mineral!

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Mark Kasprowicz

I heard microwave it as well - just to kill off anything that might infest the RR.

Mark K

Climax@...

Depends on what it is made of.  In some cases you might have something that doesn't agree with Microwaving so test it first with a small bunch on a plate and watch it while it "cooks off".  It will get rid of all critters, plant life, and probably microbes as well.  I more or less figured that with a little white glue what ever was there was glued in place anyway. hhahaha

DAve

Sent: Aug 1, 2021 5:47 AM

I heard microwave it as well - just to kill off anything that might infest the RR.

Mark K

asandrini

Speaking of scenery on a "large" scale....

I was driving back from California's Central Coast yesterday (64 degrees) to home in Bakersfield (107 degrees) when I spotted some unusual real scenery.

Fifty yards off to my right. In open land of wild grasses and oak trees was a gnarled, twisted oak; which was partially uprooted.  I noticed that where it broke the soil, I could a big chunk of PINK. 

It looked like Mother Earth was using pink foam, covered with ground cover. Evidently, she didn't use enough glue to stabilize the tree and anchor the ground cover. 

I stopped and backed up to be sure of what I saw, and it was Dow-Corning PINK.  As I stood there looking over the barbed wire fence, I noticed some clothing, which must have blown out the back of a truck along side of the road. Most of the clothing was women's clothing.

All I could think was that it must have been a pink blouse, the wind had blown up against the exposed roots of the uprooted tree. From 50 yards, it was hard to make out what it was.

It gave pause for a moment.....

Al

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/1/21 3:07 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: HOn3@groups.io

Depends on what it is made of.  In some cases you might have something that doesn't agree with Microwaving so test it first with a small bunch on a plate and watch it while it "cooks off".  It will get rid of all critters, plant life, and probably microbes as well.  I more or less figured that with a little white glue what ever was there was glued in place anyway. hhahaha

DAve

Sent: Aug 1, 2021 5:47 AM

Mark K