From: Robert Bell via Groups.Io <ionhoss@...>
To: HOn3 Group <hon3@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Feb 5, 2020 3:08 pm
Subject: [HOn3] EBT boxcar brake rigging

Greetings!

I am working a F&C HOn3 EBT boxcar model.  I am mostly finished detailing it and am trying to figure out the brake leavers and such.  I have the Quick Pic Book by Tim Mulina, but his pictures either show two very differently rigged boxcars or there is a third leaver that doesn't show.  Does anybody know of a diagram for the steel boxcars?  My model is going to be boxcar 174.

Thanks!

Rob Bell
Waynesville, NC

Robert Bell

Thanks Bill!  It is as I suspected; a 3rd leavers!

Rob

Randy Hees

Generally, from the brake cylinder, one "floating" lever (not hinged or otherwise fixed) with connections (in order) to the hand brake, the brake cylinder piston, the rod to the dead lever and the B truck.... from the dead lever (behind the brake cylinder, fixed) has connections to the hinged or fixed point, the rod from the floating lever, and the rod to the A truck....

Randy Hees

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 12:23 PM Robert Bell via Groups.Io <ionhoss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Bill!  It is as I suspected; a 3rd leavers!

Rob

Robert Bell

Randy,
The EBT boxcars have an "intermediate" or "idler" leaver going towards the "A" end of the car.  So, there is the "floating" leaver on the "B" end, and two "hinged"/"fixed point" leavers on the "A" end.  I have spent the last week plus studying the photos in the Quick Pic Book by Tim Mulina of these cars.  I'll post some photos of my model soon.

Thanks!

Rob Bell