Ebay HOn3

John Hutnick

I am starting this topic so that we can all notify one another of various Ebay items.  Here is a #278 starting at $195.  There is a Best Offer.
194420960345 Westside HOn3 Brass Engine C-16 2-8-0

Mark Lewis

John,

In my opinion.....

The C-16 Brass Locomotive listing is poorly done, even if the price is low.
Not enough detail photos and not enough detailed information about the locomotive.

Mark Lewis
HOn3 modeling in N.C.

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 9:30 PM John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:
I am starting this topic so that we can all notify one another of various Ebay items.  Here is a #278 starting at $195.  There is a Best Offer.
194420960345 Westside HOn3 Brass Engine C-16 2-8-0

Dale Buxton

Agreed. Every listing of an old brass model should include a photo of the bottom of the model showing the condition of the wheel plating. IMHO, any seller that does not do this has lost my attention regardless of the asking price.

But, If I may add to the listings missing important items. This model was built by Kodoma. I have never found a fault with this model in like new condition right out of the box.That is how solid of a builder Kodoma was. I own over a dozen of this model that I am slowly converting them to various other locomotive numbers. I can not say enough good about the soild construction of this model.

The model in question is a first-run model. You can tell this by three items in the photos. Item 1: The locomotive has brass driver centers. This only occurred on the first first run models. Item 2: This is the smaller sized box that these were packed in. While the second run was also in the smaller box. There was an important difference between the first and second run boxes. Item 3: the description label on the box is the small one used on the first run models. The second run label was almost twice the size of the first run label and used a different and larger font set.

The third run came in a larger red,white and blue box (same size as the K-27 box of the same period) The forth run came in a red, white and black box.

These were all models of the No.278

In between the 3rd and 4th runs of the 278 came the 268 in a red, white and black box

After that came the 271 which was the first with full cab detail and a hidden micro motor in a red, whilte and black box.

Next was a model of the 268 with full cab detail and a hidden micro motor in a red whilte and black box.

Somewhere in here Dick Truesdale retires and sells Westside to PSC.

PSC imports painted models of the 268 and 278 with full cab detail and a hidden micro motor in Yellow/Orange boxes.

All of these models were built by Kodoma. One of the premiere builders in Japan and also a big fan of the D&RGW narrow gauge.

Dale Buxton

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 7:37 PM Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:
John,

In my opinion.....

The C-16 Brass Locomotive listing is poorly done, even if the price is low.
Not enough detail photos and not enough detailed information about the locomotive.

Mark Lewis
HOn3 modeling in N.C.

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 9:30 PM John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:
I am starting this topic so that we can all notify one another of various Ebay items.  Here is a #278 starting at $195.  There is a Best Offer.
194420960345 Westside HOn3 Brass Engine C-16 2-8-0

Mark Lewis

Dale,

Thank you for your in depth product production run information and model details, of the Westside/Kodoma C-16 #278.

Mark Lewis
HOn3 modeling in N.C.

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021, 11:22 PM Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark Kasprowicz

Really useful info Dale - I've printed it out and taped it into my copy of the Brown Book. I'm just reworking a WS 268 (without cab detail) which had an active life so wheel replating is on the to-do list. Never done it before but today or tomorrow I may pluck up the nerve. I only paid £140 for it and a Westside C-25 at auction. It was fitted with a Faulhaber motor which protruded so far out of the cab that curtains were mandatory! I've replaced that with a Maxon, not ss good but far less obtrusive.

Thanks again for the list.

Your package is going out today, as quick as the last package got there maybe you will get it yesterday! hahahahahaha

[...]

Mark,

I forgot one version.

In the transition period between Westside and PSC there were No. 268 and maybe some No.278's that Truesdale brought in, in the Yellow/Orange box with labeling printed in black directly on the box top and not the ends. Not sure about the cab details on these. PSC continued to use the same box after they took over. I'm sure this was because this was the box that Kodoma had in stock.

Dale

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 1:35 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
Really useful info Dale - I've printed it out and taped it into my copy of the Brown Book. I'm just reworking a WS 268 (without cab detail) which had an active life so wheel replating is on the to-do list. Never done it before but today or tomorrow I may pluck up the nerve. I only paid £140 for it and a Westside C-25 at auction. It was fitted with a Faulhaber motor which protruded so far out of the cab that curtains were mandatory! I've replaced that with a Maxon, not ss good but far less obtrusive.

Thanks again for the list.

Mark K

John Hutnick

Here is a listing for a WSM K-27 starting at $224.95:  174951951492

Mark Kasprowicz

Dale,

Mine is certainly the 268 produced between the 3rd and 4th run of 278. It had the plain brass cab back (which I have replaced with the PSC back), not sure about the motor as it had been replaced but no sign of backhead detail. As you say these are good, robust models. I had no idea Kodoma was a DRGW enthusiast.

Mark K