Early boxcar door latches

Brian Kopp

I know the Grandt Line/SJ 5001 kit has a door with latch attached, but for those that scratch build early box cars what do you use to make your own latches? They are not in the Tichy 5070 kit either.....
I was unsure about some instructions, like Trout Creek, suggesting the Grandt Line 5166 reefer latch would work.

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

The Tichy Train Group kit I meant is the 3070 early wood boxcar kit (not 5070). The 3070 is very useful but does not have a latch that I saw.

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Dale Buxton

Brian,

The part I've been using is the Grandt Line/SJ 5095 "Small Hinge Assortment". It comes with two door hasps. One with a padlock and one without. The 5001 set has Camel door hasps which was really a much later design of a hasp. You could cut the Reefer door latch down for the hasp but it doesn't really look right to me. Clear Creek Models made a really nice strap-type Reefer door latch that you could cut the hasp out of and it looked really good. But I haven't seen that part anywhere for years. Someone has to have the molds but, I have no idea who that would be.

What Are you modeling? I'm modeling 4000 series 30ft as rebuilt boxcars.

Dale Buxton

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 8:09 AM Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:
I know the Grandt Line/SJ 5001 kit has a door with latch attached, but for those that scratch build early box cars what do you use to make your own latches? They are not in the Tichy 5070 kit either.....
I was unsure about some instructions, like Trout Creek, suggesting the Grandt Line 5166 reefer latch would work.

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Brian Kopp

Dale, thanks for the Grandt 5095 idea. I will take a look.

I am bashing the old time 28' Mantua 1860 HO boxcars into 28' 1880s HOn3 cars. I am thinking of the ATSF NG cars on the DRG.  Just narrow them and drop the height a bit. Here is my first attempt in process along with a reference photo for inspiration......

I have some early stretched skin ATSF logo decals that I had Josh at Bedlam Creations print in white, along with car numbers that match the ones on the ATSF DRG cars. I will post a photo in a week or two when I finish this first one.

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL