Durango and Chama Yard

Bryian Sones

Hi all,

I'm planning to model these two yards for my layout in the late 40's era. I have most of the structures except for the round houses that will need to be scratch built. I do have the correct size turntables.

Does anyone have any drawings of the prototype yard tracks that they would be willing to share or directed me to where I might find some? Obviously selective compression will need to be exercised in the build so even some suggested track plans would be a big help.

Thank you.

Bryian Sones
D&RGW Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

Art D3

The best source for both yard plans and structure plans is Mike Blazek. http://blazeksplan.com/
 His work books have two or three track plans for different time periods along with identifying all railroad structures and types of switch stands for each track. You should contact him quickly, last time I ordered from Mike he mentioned that he might be retiring soon. I have both the Durango and Chama plan books and his drawing sets for both communities.
--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

Craig Linn

Hi Bryian,

You might start your search with Mike Blazek and his plans.  He has some GREAT stuff there.  http://blazeksplan.com. Check under the heading called “Workbooks”.  He has a LOT of information and plans that could really help out.

I also look over photos (seems to be one of the best sources) to piece things together.  Here are a couple of places that I look over:
https://chasingtrains.smugmug.com.  Great site from John West who shot photos in towards the end of the grand.
Western Rail Images by Jim and Doug Ozment - but this site looks to be solely moved over to an Etsy site.
Trails Among The Columbine are also great resources to look at too.

Hope this helps.

Craig

On Feb 14, 2021, at 1:49 PM, Bryian Sones via groups.io <bryian.sones@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm planning to model these two yards for my layout in the late 40's era. I have most of the structures except for the round houses that will need to be scratch built. I do have the correct size turntables.

Does anyone have any drawings of the prototype yard tracks that they would be willing to share or directed me to where I might find some? Obviously selective compression will need to be exercised in the build so even some suggested track plans would be a big help.

Thank you.

Bryian Sones
D&RGW Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

cmdrwmriker

Bryian, there was an article in a Model Railroader Mag about a young man from Switzerland that built a full scale replica in HOn3 of the Chama Yard.  It was a couple of years ago, I cannot remember exactly.  It mentioned Blazek.

I'm planning to model these two yards for my layout in the late 40's era. I have most of the structures except for the round houses that will need to be scratch built. I do have the correct size turntables.

Does anyone have any drawings of the prototype yard tracks that they would be willing to share or directed me to where I might find some? Obviously selective compression will need to be exercised in the build so even some suggested track plans would be a big help.

Thank you.

Bryian Sones
D&RGW Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

cmdrwmriker

Well, it appears to have been Sept, 2019; attached find some info

I'm planning to model these two yards for my layout in the late 40's era. I have most of the structures except for the round houses that will need to be scratch built. I do have the correct size turntables.

Does anyone have any drawings of the prototype yard tracks that they would be willing to share or directed me to where I might find some? Obviously selective compression will need to be exercised in the build so even some suggested track plans would be a big help.

Thank you.

Bryian Sones
D&RGW Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

Bryian Sones

Thanks Guys,

I have sent an Email to Mike Blazek. It appears he is in Costa Mesa CA.. which is a "hop skip and a jump" from me.

Hopefully I can still get some material. I'm sure that will be a huge help!

Bryian Sones
D&RGW Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Sunday, February 14, 2021, 05:44:07 PM PST, cmdrwmriker <banjobill@q.com> wrote:

Well, it appears to have been Sept, 2019; attached find some info

I'm planning to model these two yards for my layout in the late 40's era. I have most of the structures except for the round houses that will need to be scratch built. I do have the correct size turntables.

Does anyone have any drawings of the prototype yard tracks that they would be willing to share or directed me to where I might find some? Obviously selective compression will need to be exercised in the build so even some suggested track plans would be a big help.

Thank you.

Bryian Sones
D&RGW Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

Dale Buxton

Bryan,

Here is a link to the Rio Grande Modeling and Historical  Societies website for exactly what you are looking for. It is a PDF order form for Rio Grande yard maps. Both yards that you are looking for are on the list.

Dale Buxton