Topics

DSP&P original Forks Creek bridge

Does anyone here have a dimensional drawing of the DSP&P original Forks Creek bridge (not the later C&S replacement). Or know where I can find one? There was a nice model Jim Vail made on his layout; but I never got a chance to measure it or study it closely.  I'm trying to develop an HO scale plan of it from the available old photos, but I'd love to compare what I'm doing with the work of someone before me.  Does there exist an actual drawing of the original that doesn't hide behind a big pay-wall?  My attempt will only have to look convincing from 3 ft and I may have to shorten it a bit to get it to fit in the available space.
Ed Weldon

duncan

Ed,

    Harry Brunk had plans for the original wooden Forks Creek bridge in the Gazette.  And when he later redid his model with the metal C&S bridge he had plans for that as well.  They are both model plans, but pretty accurate as far as I can tell.

                                    Duncan Harvey

Thanks, Duncan.  Tomorrow I get to dig into my pile of Gazettes looking for the following articles (found in the NGSL Gazette Indexes)

Jan., 1990 pg 70; May 2004 pg 64, both by Harry Brunk and March, 1999 pg 50, by Jim Vail which hopefully has a good image of his Forks Creek bridge.
I hope to build a 24 x 48 portable module of the Forks Creek Juncrion, albeit with some time fictional mixing of structures and selective compression (which has to omit anything near a functional wye connector and that neat little bridge).
Ed Weldon

duncan

Have fun building it, Ed!  It is a neat location with a neat set of buildings.

                                    Duncan

John Stutz

Ed

I seem to recall seeing a RoW map of this section of the Colorado Central, reproduced in one of the histories that focused on this area.   I am not at all sure of the date, which might have been from the post-USRA valuation period.  My interest was in the wooden culverts which were called out on the map, so if it covered the bridge site, there will be dimensions and a descriptive note.  But for the life of me I cannot recall where I saw it.  Possibly in one of Harry Brunk's articles?   Possibly in the Klinger's "C&S Clear Creek District Memories"?

Perhaps someone will recall more details.

John Stutz