DSP&P moguls

I discovered something!! Then a 2nd thought. I think I'm the only one who didn't know this. But jst in case I'm wrong.......
The DSP&P had two types of 2-6-0's.  Made by Danforth-Cooke and Brooks.  Early Cooke engines had drivers spaced evenly, a straight cylindrical boiler and the bell between the two domes.  The Brooks engines had slightly different spacing between the drivers, wagon top boilers and the bell in front ot the domes.
The common FED or Ken Kidder are closer to the Brooks style than the Cooke. The more pricey Lambert 2-6-0's look to be more modern Cooks, but could be easily refitted with early domes, lamps and stacks to look like earlier versions.
All this may be of little interest to young purists with good eyesight and years to be spent perfecting a museum class model..  But to us oldsters that may not matter.  Besides, for some the "scene" is more important than the detail.
Anyhow these days FED 2-6-0 basket cases are pretty cheap as are the little square low speed chinese motors (I think made for car mirrors).  And Precision Scale still makes domes, stacks, headlights ,wood burner smoke boxes. etc easily available from at least one eBay seller.
I'm just getting into this project and there may be a lot more to learn.  Anybody out there willing to pass along new tricks for this old dog? ................ Ed Weldon

Lee Gustafson

I can’t access the complete sources of information, this is from memory. Robert Sloan had an article in the “Slim Gauge News” ( OOP) titled “The Case of the Mixed Up Moguls”. In one of the volumes “Up Clear Creek” of collected articles by Harry Brunk he wrote of the FED models and his adaptation of them to C&S moguls. Time permitting today I will try to provide the specific information.

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 7:04 AM, Ed Weldon <23.weldon@...> wrote:

[...]

Lee - Found it on pg 237 (part51) of Up Clear Creek on the Narrow Gauge. Lors to chew on there.  Thank you, Lee.
And thank you Harry. You will live in our forever in the pages of your book. All those words and all those drawings really count.
I don't have any real collection of Slim Gauge News; so if you find which issue has the "Mixed up Moguls" article I can narrow my search.  I've found several nice plan drawings of both types on the net.  But can you or anyone else here lead me to other sources of drawings of these two types, especially earlier vintage?  (I'm modeling the 1875-1885 era).The layout is still in the benchwork phase and will exist as portable sections. Most of the structures are still in boxes................
Ed Weldon

Ben Poole

Lee,

I located my copy of Slim Gauge News for Summer 1974 and made a PDF copy of the article for you.  I included the cover and contents page as well.  Hopefully this has what you're looking for.

Cheers!

Ben Poole in Atlanta

--
Ben Poole
770-231-4718 - mobile

martin feldwick

I am using the Robert Sloane book or booklet that came with a set of decals .I used it to pant some Mason Bogies . I am now wrangling an FED 2-6-0 .
Martin

On Wed, 12 May 2021 at 21:00, Ben Poole <benpooleatlanta@...> wrote:
[...]

Ben,

Thank you. Most appreciated.