Topics

Doodle Bugs

Eric Schrowang

Does anyone know of Doodlebug plans? Looking for a narrow Gauge Version. Something like the GE M100.
Thank You
Eric

Russ Norris

What about the EBT's M-1, which was made from parts purchased from Brill.  There is a lot of information online, and at least one 3-D printed body available from Shapeways.

Russ Norris, MMR

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020, 7:00 PM Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:
Does anyone know of Doodlebug plans? Looking for a narrow Gauge Version. Something like the GE M100.
Thank You
Eric

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
http://blacklogvalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Randy Hees

You may want to look at drawings for the Death Valley RR car, which is a Brill model 55, similar to the EBT car.  The car is now at the Laws Railroad museum,  I believe they were in the Gazette. A wood narrow gauge car would be the Oxford Lancaster & Southern car now converted to standard gauge and in operation on the Strasburg Railroad.  Finally I believe that Edwards built some narrow gauge cars.

Randy Hees

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 4:07 PM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
What about the EBT's M-1, which was made from parts purchased from Brill.  There is a lot of information online, and at least one 3-D printed body available from Shapeways.

Russ Norris, MMR

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020, 7:00 PM Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:
Thank You
Eric

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Brian Kopp

Randy that is some interesting news to me. I did not realise there were other manufacturer built NG doodlebugs besides the EBT M-1. Tons of railroad built doodlebugs out there.....

Eric I have two doodlebug books. "The Short Line Doodlebug" has 3-4 drawings in the front but I don't think they include an M100. "Doodlebug Country" does not have drawings that I noticed. Both books have lots of photos.....

Last spring I bought a Bachmann HO 1929 ATSF EMC gas-electric doodlebug with the dream plan of a kit-bash into a down-sized freelance HOn3 doodlebug (sort of a not-exact EBT M-1 tribute). The Bachmann doodlebugs are inexpensive (I think I paid $40). I ordered some PSC Brill #27 MCB traction truck kits from Brian Weisman with the thought of motorizing them in narrow gauge. The project is sitting on the shelf with many ahead of it. =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Mike Conder

Randy, the OL&S is new to me.  Any idea where one can find photos of that car in NG service?  I'll try to look up the Strasburg site to see if there are any photos there.

Mike Conder

Mike Conder

Never mind, it's the LO&S and found many pics of it at Strasburg.  Nice paint!

Here's one ...

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2419507

Mike Conder

John Stutz

Brian

Regarding other sources of EBT M-1 class doodlebugs:

Some years ago I ran across a contemporary reference to the construction of several(?) McKeen Motor Cars for the 3'6" gauge Queensland Government Railways of NE Australia.  However I cannot now provide a date, or identify which of the several potential journals this was in.

In 1941 AC&F supplied 3', and possibly meter gauge, versions of their Motorailer to the Colombian Government Railways: "..., 22 deluxe motorailers and 13 trailers.".  The 1943 Car Builder's Cyclopedia (TSC #89) has a short description with a photo on page 673, and on page 667 is a reference to a Railway Age article dated Oct 25, 1941.  I have not seen the RA article.  The CBC photograph shows a coupled pair, lettered "Pacifico" on their sides, and Colombia's FC del Pacifico was 3' gauge from the beginning.

John Stutz

On December 4, 2020 6:45 AM Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:

Randy that is some interesting news to me. I did not realise there were other manufacturer built NG doodlebugs besides the EBT M-1. Tons of railroad built doodlebugs out there.....

gnorwood6 gnorwood6

Something from left field. One of our state railways in Australia, South Australian Railways bought 12 model 55 and 39 model 75 railcars and trailer cars from JG Brill.
These were delivered between 1924 and 1930. They were mainly used on their 5'-3" gauge system.
Some of both models were also converted to run on their 3'-6" gauge system. All were repowered with diesel engines.
The later green and cream paint scheme is very nice.
Attached is a copy of an August 2017 photo of SAR Model 75 #106 0n the Pichi Richi Railway in Australia.

Regards,
Gary

------ Original Message ------
To: HOn3@groups.io
Sent: Saturday, 5 Dec, 2020 At 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Doodle Bugs

Brian    

Some years ago I ran across a contemporary reference to the construction of several(?) McKeen Motor Cars for the 3'6" gauge Queensland Government Railways of NE Australia.  However I cannot now provide a date, or identify which of the several potential journals this was in.    

In 1941 AC&F supplied 3', and possibly meter gauge, versions of their Motorailer to the Colombian Government Railways: "..., 22 deluxe motorailers and 13 trailers.".  The 1943 Car Builder's Cyclopedia (TSC #89) has a short description with a photo on page 673, and on page 667 is a reference to a Railway Age article dated Oct 25, 1941.  I have not seen the RA article.  The CBC photograph shows a coupled pair, lettered "Pacifico" on their sides, and Colombia's FC del Pacifico was 3' gauge from the beginning.    

John Stutz    

Eric Schrowang

Guys,
Thank You for all the input. it has been very helpful.

Eric

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 8:12 PM gnorwood6 gnorwood6 <gnorwood6@...> wrote:
Something from left field. One of our state railways in Australia, South Australian Railways bought 12 model 55 and 39 model 75 railcars and trailer cars from JG Brill.
These were delivered between 1924 and 1930. They were mainly used on their 5'-3" gauge system.
Some of both models were also converted to run on their 3'-6" gauge system. All were repowered with diesel engines.
The later green and cream paint scheme is very nice.
Attached is a copy of an August 2017 photo of SAR Model 75 #106 0n the Pichi Richi Railway in Australia.

Regards,
Gary

------ Original Message ------
To: HOn3@groups.io
Sent: Saturday, 5 Dec, 2020 At 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Doodle Bugs

Brian    

John Stutz    

George Pierson

Hi, guys,

Just a quick tweek - the car at Strasburg is originally from the Lancaster Oxford & Southern.  It was originally powered by an internal combustion engine that drove the front truck through gearing that extended from the engine down through the kingpin to the front axles.  The car was a home build, not drawing on conventional doodlebug technology.  But when the LO&S abandoned during WW I the car spent most of its life (after being st. gauged) on the Grasse River RR, a logging line in upper NY State.  The car body came from a wood coach that had originally operated on the Chateaugay Rwy in the Adirondacks of NY.  Here's a shot of her today at Strasburg.  The model shot shows my HOn3 version of the LO&S car running on the Mudhens layout at the NNGC in Denver.

George Pierson

Russ Norris

Really nice work, George!  

Russ

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020, 9:59 PM George Pierson <gpierson@...> wrote:
Hi, guys,

Just a quick tweek - the car at Strasburg is originally from the Lancaster Oxford & Southern.  It was originally powered by an internal combustion engine that drove the front truck through gearing that extended from the engine down through the kingpin to the front axles.  The car was a home build, not drawing on conventional doodlebug technology.  But when the LO&S abandoned during WW I the car spent most of its life (after being st. gauged) on the Grasse River RR, a logging line in upper NY State.  The car body came from a wood coach that had originally operated on the Chateaugay Rwy in the Adirondacks of NY.  Here's a shot of her today at Strasburg.  The model shot shows my HOn3 version of the LO&S car running on the Mudhens layout at the NNGC in Denver.

George Pierson

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Brian Kopp

Talk about inspiration! Great work George. And all the info everybody added to the thread! Fantastic.
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Russ Norris

I thought I saw a post on this thread about converting diesels to narrow gauge.  I bought an S-1 or S-2 online that had been regauged to HOn3.  Attached are  photos of it in its original B&O colors, and after I repainted it as fictitious EBT M-21 (assuming that the EBT management bought a used diesel in the early fifties to test out its potential.  The only problem I ran into was the very low undercarriage kept hanging up on my Shinohara switches.  I little work with a flat file solved the issue and now it runs smooth as glass shuffling cards around in the dual gauge yard.

Russ

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 7:00 PM Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:
Thank You
Eric

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Bruce

Russ,

Do you know the manufacturer of the model?

With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce Bowie
419-602-3584
in2trains@...

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020, 10:37 AM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
I thought I saw a post on this thread about converting diesels to narrow gauge.  I bought an S-1 or S-2 online that had been regauged to HOn3.  Attached are  photos of it in its original B&O colors, and after I repainted it as fictitious EBT M-21 (assuming that the EBT management bought a used diesel in the early fifties to test out its potential.  The only problem I ran into was the very low undercarriage kept hanging up on my Shinohara switches.  I little work with a flat file solved the issue and now it runs smooth as glass shuffling cards around in the dual gauge yard.

Russ

Thank You
Eric

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Russ Norris

It's a Life Like, Bruce.  Made in China.

Russ

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 12:21 PM Bruce <in2trains@...> wrote:
Russ,

Do you know the manufacturer of the model?

With cinders in your eyes,
Bruce Bowie
419-602-3584
in2trains@...

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020, 10:37 AM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:

Russ

Thank You
Eric

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

--
Russ Norris, MMR
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Robert Bennett

Good Morning All,

This has been an interesting thread and I'll add another bit. These ideas and photos brought back memories of a model I built twenty or so years ago when I was "Mainly" still in HOn3 rather than today's On30 Maine Two Footers. I don't have photos of it but if anyone has a copy of the September, 2000 RMC it was written up in that issue. Briefly I took an N scale Atlas GP-40-2, widened the wheel sets to HOn3 and scratch built a body from a Roundhouse short coach and a bunch of Grandt Line and Cal Scale parts. I used the long-gone Roundhouse HOn3 passenger trucks for the truck side frames. It ran very well and looked fine although not prototypical. When I sold off most of my HOn3 equipment it went to a NNGC in Denver (2006 or '07) with Matt Sharp from Train and Trooper and it may still exist somewhere. Actually, as I was writing this post, I remembered one photo that I still have- not the best but giving an idea of what the beast looked like; I am attaching it.

Keep modeling and stay well everyone!

Best,  Bob Bennett

Eric Schrowang

Bob,
Really nice model. Thank You for sharing.

Eric

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 7:21 PM Robert Bennett <ngbobme@...> wrote:
Good Morning All,

This has been an interesting thread and I'll add another bit. These ideas and photos brought back memories of a model I built twenty or so years ago when I was "Mainly" still in HOn3 rather than today's On30 Maine Two Footers. I don't have photos of it but if anyone has a copy of the September, 2000 RMC it was written up in that issue. Briefly I took an N scale Atlas GP-40-2, widened the wheel sets to HOn3 and scratch built a body from a Roundhouse short coach and a bunch of Grandt Line and Cal Scale parts. I used the long-gone Roundhouse HOn3 passenger trucks for the truck side frames. It ran very well and looked fine although not prototypical. When I sold off most of my HOn3 equipment it went to a NNGC in Denver (2006 or '07) with Matt Sharp from Train and Trooper and it may still exist somewhere. Actually, as I was writing this post, I remembered one photo that I still have- not the best but giving an idea of what the beast looked like; I am attaching it.

Best,  Bob Bennett

Bob Burgoyne

Robert,
Nice modeling resulted in a believable DoodleBug. Thanks for sharing and the reminder of the article. Recall reading and marveling at your handiwork!

Bob Burgoyne

On Saturday, December 5, 2020, 7:33:31 PM CST, Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:

Bob,
Really nice model. Thank You for sharing.

Eric

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 7:21 PM Robert Bennett <ngbobme@...> wrote:
Good Morning All,

Best,  Bob Bennett