Topics

Does Anyone Have Experience With HOn3 D&RGW Passenger Trucks


Wayne
 

Looking for some advice on assembling HOn3 D&RGW passenger trucks.  I have a number of unassembled trucks.  All are different, most have no instructions and the ones with instructions appear to have an error.  The PSC plastic trucks come with no body bolster and the sparse instructions have no reference on how to connect the bolsters.  Tried to see if San Juan Model Co (who took over Grant Line) was offering these passenger trucks but their website no longer exists, so I assume they've gone under also.  The kits from MRGS are identical to those included in the old E&B Valley Co HOn3 passenger car kits but their instructions say to glue the truck bolster to the body bolster, making attachment to the car underbody impossible if one wants the trucks to turn on curves.  Any advice appreciated.


claneon30
 

No and no. San Juan/Grandt is still in business, (although not doing a great job of communicating it at the moment) and they never offered passenger truck in HOn3.

The instructions are an obvious error. You would attach with a screw, so that the truck can pivot, same as any other model.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual



On Oct 5, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Wayne <waynewtaylorii@...> wrote:

Looking for some advice on assembling HOn3 D&RGW passenger trucks.  I have a number of unassembled trucks.  All are different, most have no instructions and the ones with instructions appear to have an error.  The PSC plastic trucks come with no body bolster and the sparse instructions have no reference on how to connect the bolsters.  Tried to see if San Juan Model Co (who took over Grant Line) was offering these passenger trucks but their website no longer exists, so I assume they've gone under also.  The kits from MRGS are identical to those included in the old E&B Valley Co HOn3 passenger car kits but their instructions say to glue the truck bolster to the body bolster, making attachment to the car underbody impossible if one wants the trucks to turn on curves.  Any advice appreciated.


Ric Case
 

Just received a window order today! They have a lady who does phone work 1or 2 days a week! 
He is really trying to get things together! 

Ric Case 
EBT Modeler 
Hamilton Ohio 
1-513-375-7694

On Oct 5, 2020, at 3:47 PM, claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:

No and no. San Juan/Grandt is still in business, (although not doing a great job of communicating it at the moment) and they never offered passenger truck in HOn3.

The instructions are an obvious error. You would attach with a screw, so that the truck can pivot, same as any other model.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual



On Oct 5, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Wayne <waynewtaylorii@...> wrote:

Looking for some advice on assembling HOn3 D&RGW passenger trucks.  I have a number of unassembled trucks.  All are different, most have no instructions and the ones with instructions appear to have an error.  The PSC plastic trucks come with no body bolster and the sparse instructions have no reference on how to connect the bolsters.  Tried to see if San Juan Model Co (who took over Grant Line) was offering these passenger trucks but their website no longer exists, so I assume they've gone under also.  The kits from MRGS are identical to those included in the old E&B Valley Co HOn3 passenger car kits but their instructions say to glue the truck bolster to the body bolster, making attachment to the car underbody impossible if one wants the trucks to turn on curves.  Any advice appreciated.


p. f. hollingsworth
 

I believe the 'Grandt' offering in HOn3 was sold under the RRob name. They were fussy to assemble, but very beautiful once together. I have a couple pairs standing under some C&S passenger cars I scratch built a long time back. Still rolling nicely, I wouldn't replace them if new C&S trucks showed up- even if they were free! 
Another set of D&RG passenger trucks we never hear about any longer is the ones once marketed by Roundhouse/MDC. They had super rolling qualities, but the nasty brass wheels were as wide as Indy Car tires, with big flanges. And,nothing I ever found would replace the wheelsets. Pity, because they were cheap, even back then.


Mick Moignard
 

Grandt did used to offer a plastic passenger truck. 5182 if my memory serves.  PSC offered an identical set of castings including a mould flaw in brass.  Grandt suffered a problem with wheel manufacture many years ago and stopped selling trucks, which is probably why San Juan don’t offer trucks from the old Grandt line.

Mick

________________________________
Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

The week may start M,T but it always ends WTF.


Mick Moignard
 

No, you do glue the body bolster beam on MRGS trucks to the truck body bolster, they pivot as one.  The car truck plate is separate.

Mick

________________________________
Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

The week may start M,T but it always ends WTF.


Wayne
 

The problem with San Juan is that they apparently have gone out of business.  Their website no longer exists and they have not replied to my email or FaceBook inquiries.


On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 7:28 AM Mick Moignard <mick@...> wrote:
Grandt did used to offer a plastic passenger truck. 5182 if my memory serves.  PSC offered an identical set of castings including a mould flaw in brass.  Grandt suffered a problem with wheel manufacture many years ago and stopped selling trucks, which is probably why San Juan don’t offer trucks from the old Grandt line.

Mick

________________________________
Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

The week may start M,T but it always ends WTF.



--
Wayne Taylor


Alan Kilby
 

The website for san juan car company is still up for O scale trains,maybe this is different company.
Alan


From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Wayne <waynewtaylorii@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 6:32:16 AM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Does Anyone Have Experience With HOn3 D&RGW Passenger Trucks
 
The problem with San Juan is that they apparently have gone out of business.  Their website no longer exists and they have not replied to my email or FaceBook inquiries.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 7:28 AM Mick Moignard <mick@...> wrote:
Grandt did used to offer a plastic passenger truck. 5182 if my memory serves.  PSC offered an identical set of castings including a mould flaw in brass.  Grandt suffered a problem with wheel manufacture many years ago and stopped selling trucks, which is probably why San Juan don’t offer trucks from the old Grandt line.

Mick

________________________________
Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

The week may start M,T but it always ends WTF.



--
Wayne Taylor


Dusty
 

Grandt Passenger trucks package.

Dusty Burman 


Dale Buxton
 

Thanks Dusty! You beat me to it. As always, a picture is worth a thousand words! This conversation only proves once again that internet searches can be difficult to navigate.

I have several of these Gandt Line passenger car truck kits. This topic also brings home another subject about our hobby. Buy it if you think you might need it later. It most likely won’t be there when you discover you really do need it.

Dale Buxton 

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 09:57 Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Grandt Passenger trucks package.

Dusty Burman 


claneon30
 

Just returned from San Juan, and everyone was right on passenger truck. Grandt never offered it, it was R/Rob. Of course Grandt molded all the R/Rob parts but this particular truck has not been offered for a very long time. 

While history is fun, San Juan confirmed that the mold does exist and right now they are working on sourcing good wheels for their line of HOn3 trucks, and that would include the passenger truck at some point. The other trucks are ready to go, waiting on a reliable source of wheels. Also the HOn3 kit line is back and available. 

And the final tank car paint samples will in in their office any day, (they thought they would see them today, but they weren’t in the shipment). Once approved, those will got inot production.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual



On Oct 6, 2020, at 7:28 AM, Mick Moignard <mick@...> wrote:

Grandt did used to offer a plastic passenger truck. 5182 if my memory serves.  PSC offered an identical set of castings including a mould flaw in brass.  Grandt suffered a problem with wheel manufacture many years ago and stopped selling trucks, which is probably why San Juan don’t offer trucks from the old Grandt line.

Mick

________________________________
Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

The week may start M,T but it always ends WTF.



claneon30
 

Completely and totally untrue, I was physically in their office and facility less than an hour ago. Yes their website is down, and their hosting company is working on it. They have 5 sites, 2 are up, 3 are down the their hosting company is trying to determine why that is.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual



On Oct 6, 2020, at 7:32 AM, Wayne <waynewtaylorii@...> wrote:

The problem with San Juan is that they apparently have gone out of business.  Their website no longer exists and they have not replied to my email or FaceBook inquiries.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 7:28 AM Mick Moignard <mick@...> wrote:
Grandt did used to offer a plastic passenger truck. 5182 if my memory serves.  PSC offered an identical set of castings including a mould flaw in brass.  Grandt suffered a problem with wheel manufacture many years ago and stopped selling trucks, which is probably why San Juan don’t offer trucks from the old Grandt line.

Mick

________________________________
Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

The week may start M,T but it always ends WTF.





--
Wayne Taylor


claneon30
 

THAT is interesting, as the header card and related info did not come with the sale to San Juan. They only reason they know they have the truck is they physically have the mold and found it sorting and organizing the molds. They also found a number of other molds that either were never offered or hadn’t been run in many years.
.
Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual



On Oct 6, 2020, at 9:57 AM, Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:

Grandt Passenger trucks package.

Dusty Burman 

<16019996847752591144067112126550.jpg> <1601999389600913819856150905384.jpg>


Craig Linn
 

Thanks for this info Chris. Excited to hear about the tank cars. Can’t wait to have a couple.

Craig

On Oct 6, 2020, at 2:48 PM, claneon30 <chrislaneon30@earthlink.net> wrote:


clint watkins
 

Call and Talk with Coronado Scale models , Seldon or Stan might know or have some . Not sure .


On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 1:53 PM Craig Linn <drgw346@...> wrote:
Thanks for this info Chris. Excited to hear about the tank cars.  Can’t wait to have a couple.

Craig
> On Oct 6, 2020, at 2:48 PM, claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
>






claneon30
 

We will still have the usual wait from China, experienced by all companies who get models produced there, but the finish line is now at least in sight.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual



On Oct 6, 2020, at 2:53 PM, Craig Linn <drgw346@...> wrote:

Thanks for this info Chris. Excited to hear about the tank cars.  Can’t wait to have a couple.

Craig
On Oct 6, 2020, at 2:48 PM, claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:








Randy Hees
 

There are things you need to understand about D&RG(W) passenger car trucks… Early on there were manufacture specific trucks of different designs… the Jackson and Sharp is the longest lived.  By the 1880’s D&RG adopted the “Pullman Truck” a wood framed, with iron/steel cladding as their standard truck… this truck gained additional reinforcing castings over time but generally stayed the same until about 1920…

About 1920 D&RG (soon to be D&RGW) adopted a new passenger car bolster system, consisting of a steel body bolster, with a large cast truck bolster, with the side bearings well outside the truck.  This is sometimes called a “flying bolster”… it is somewhat unique to the D&RG(W) and is visually very apparent.  This was eventually even applied to former passenger cars now in work service.

Finally, in the 1920’s as RPO’s were rebuilt with additional steel, making them too heavy for the common passenger trucks, the cast passenger trucks, with larger journal bearings were introduced.


Randy Hees


On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 2:13 PM claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
We will still have the usual wait from China, experienced by all companies who get models produced there, but the finish line is now at least in sight.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual



On Oct 6, 2020, at 2:53 PM, Craig Linn <drgw346@...> wrote:

Thanks for this info Chris. Excited to hear about the tank cars.  Can’t wait to have a couple.

Craig
On Oct 6, 2020, at 2:48 PM, claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:








Jim Spencer
 

There is another maker of passenger trucks, P.I.A. which I think stands for Precision international, or something like that. I think they were produced by PFM.  They were plastic and much more durable, yet as accurate and free-rolling as the the R Robbs are.  The worst trucks were the Key trucks that came on their 1991 run of brass passenger cars.  I replaced them with R Robbs and P.I.A.s.  They also save weight.

In addition, there were some earlier lost wax brass trucks by Kemtron (PSC today?) and maybe PFM as part of their P.I.A. lost wax product line.
Jim


Bill Lugg
 

Precision Investment Associates?  Didn't PSC pick up that line?

Bill Lugg

On 10/6/20 7:46 PM, Jim Spencer wrote:
There is another maker of passenger trucks, P.I.A. which I think stands for Precision international, or something like that. I think they were produced by PFM.  They were plastic and much more durable, yet as accurate and free-rolling as the the R Robbs are. The worst trucks were the Key trucks that came on their 1991 run of brass passenger cars.  I replaced them with R Robbs and P.I.A.s.  They also save weight.

In addition, there were some earlier lost wax brass trucks by Kemtron (PSC today?) and maybe PFM as part of their P.I.A. lost wax product line.
Jim


Dale Buxton
 

P.I.A. stood for "Precision Investment Associates".

Dale Buxton


On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 7:46 PM Jim Spencer <trainmanjs@...> wrote:
There is another maker of passenger trucks, P.I.A. which I think stands for Precision international, or something like that. I think they were produced by PFM.  They were plastic and much more durable, yet as accurate and free-rolling as the the R Robbs are.  The worst trucks were the Key trucks that came on their 1991 run of brass passenger cars.  I replaced them with R Robbs and P.I.A.s.  They also save weight.

In addition, there were some earlier lost wax brass trucks by Kemtron (PSC today?) and maybe PFM as part of their P.I.A. lost wax product line.
Jim