Topics

Desperately seeking Coal Shed Plan


Dusty
 

Seeking a SW Colorado narrow guage type coal shed plan. Like a commercial sized (15 or 20ish x 30 or 40) track side, shovel it in from the gon, load it out of the doors on the other side type structure. Single plane roof. External cut studs or round poles. The kind you might see in a group of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.

I'd prefer a 'scholarship' (free) plan if possible.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707


Eric Schrowang
 

Dusty,
I have San Juan Engineering plans for the D&RG coal tower. They are in O scale and I would need to have them scanned to a file. Let me know if these work for you.

Eric

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021, 13:29 Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Seeking a SW Colorado narrow guage type coal shed plan. Like a commercial sized (15 or 20ish x 30 or 40) track side, shovel it in from the gon, load it out of the doors on the other side type structure. Single plane roof. External cut studs or round poles. The kind you might see in a group of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.

I'd prefer a 'scholarship' (free) plan if possible.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707


lloyd lehrer
 

Dusty, you mean like the coal pockets at vance jctn?

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021, 10:29 AM Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Seeking a SW Colorado narrow guage type coal shed plan. Like a commercial sized (15 or 20ish x 30 or 40) track side, shovel it in from the gon, load it out of the doors on the other side type structure. Single plane roof. External cut studs or round poles. The kind you might see in a group of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.

I'd prefer a 'scholarship' (free) plan if possible.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707


--
lloyd lehrer


Dusty
 

Something like this but larger. Three or four times larger.

Dusty Burman


John Stutz
 

Dusty

Attached are field notes and 1976 photographs of the WP&Y coal shed at Fraser BC.   Not quite what you are asking for, but similar in function and size.  Backside was plain diagonal sheathing.  This shed has concealed the railroad's Fraser toilets for at least  three decades.

I believe this coal shed not only supplied the section house, but also served as an emergency locomotive and rotary supply.  The pipe brackets, of which most are missing, could hold the doors level.   Coal could first be shoveled onto the doors, and then into the tender.  Clearly not suitable for regular use, but doable. 

Similar, but smaller sheds, show up in historic photographs of several other WP&Y section house complexes.

John Stutz

On January 20, 2021 10:29 AM Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

Seeking a SW Colorado narrow guage type coal shed plan. Like a commercial sized (15 or 20ish x 30 or 40) track side, shovel it in from the gon, load it out of the doors on the other side type structure. Single plane roof. External cut studs or round poles. The kind you might see in a group of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.

I'd prefer a 'scholarship' (free) plan if possible.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707


Eric Schrowang
 

Guys attached are two photos of the plans for the Monero Coaling station Sa Juan Engineering put out in the 70s. If someone would like a copy I would need to have them scanned into a file. Just as a FYI these are in 1/4 inch scale.

Eric 

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 5:52 PM John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:
Dusty

Attached are field notes and 1976 photographs of the WP&Y coal shed at Fraser BC.   Not quite what you are asking for, but similar in function and size.  Backside was plain diagonal sheathing.  This shed has concealed the railroad's Fraser toilets for at least  three decades.

I believe this coal shed not only supplied the section house, but also served as an emergency locomotive and rotary supply.  The pipe brackets, of which most are missing, could hold the doors level.   Coal could first be shoveled onto the doors, and then into the tender.  Clearly not suitable for regular use, but doable. 

Similar, but smaller sheds, show up in historic photographs of several other WP&Y section house complexes.

John Stutz
On January 20, 2021 10:29 AM Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

Seeking a SW Colorado narrow guage type coal shed plan. Like a commercial sized (15 or 20ish x 30 or 40) track side, shovel it in from the gon, load it out of the doors on the other side type structure. Single plane roof. External cut studs or round poles. The kind you might see in a group of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.

I'd prefer a 'scholarship' (free) plan if possible.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707


Mike Conder
 

Check out the HOn3 Annual, I think 2014 (could be wrong). Cameron Bryars and I did articles onncoal sheds like this, I copied mine from plans for a Rico coal shed from Mike Blazek.  I'd share but they are his business product and that wouldn't be right, bb it I think he sells the plan for a relatively low cost of $18. 


Mike Conder

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 4:29 PM Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:
Guys attached are two photos of the plans for the Monero Coaling station Sa Juan Engineering put out in the 70s. If someone would like a copy I would need to have them scanned into a file. Just as a FYI these are in 1/4 inch scale.

Eric 

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 5:52 PM John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:
Dusty

Attached are field notes and 1976 photographs of the WP&Y coal shed at Fraser BC.   Not quite what you are asking for, but similar in function and size.  Backside was plain diagonal sheathing.  This shed has concealed the railroad's Fraser toilets for at least  three decades.

I believe this coal shed not only supplied the section house, but also served as an emergency locomotive and rotary supply.  The pipe brackets, of which most are missing, could hold the doors level.   Coal could first be shoveled onto the doors, and then into the tender.  Clearly not suitable for regular use, but doable. 

Similar, but smaller sheds, show up in historic photographs of several other WP&Y section house complexes.

John Stutz
On January 20, 2021 10:29 AM Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

Seeking a SW Colorado narrow guage type coal shed plan. Like a commercial sized (15 or 20ish x 30 or 40) track side, shovel it in from the gon, load it out of the doors on the other side type structure. Single plane roof. External cut studs or round poles. The kind you might see in a group of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.

I'd prefer a 'scholarship' (free) plan if possible.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

--
Mike Conder


Jim Marlett
 

I plan to have similar coal sheds on my railroad, but I was just going to take a shot at it. I suspect they varied from shed to shed, so I plan to build them sort of freelance. Luckily, my railroad is a fictitious freelance anyhow.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/


On Jan 20, 2021, at 2:59 PM, Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:

Something like this but larger. Three or four times larger.

Dusty Burman



Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#7620) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [jmarlett@...]

_._,_._,_


drgw169
 

You might check out pages 62-65 of the NG&SL Gazette January/February 1989 and see if that might be what you are looking for.
Dave Adams


Dusty
 

Mike, That's pretty close to what I'm looking for. There's enough of the critical info for me to get a grip on. I'll put the car unloading doors on the tall side and the 'delivery' doors on the low side. I like the idea of the foundation and floor joists raising the floor up to a good-looking height for trucks or wagons.

Dave, it's gonna take a few minutes to access Jan-Feb 1989 but I'm in hot pursuit.

Thank you everyone for all of your assistance in guiding me to some coal shed plans!

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707


Ben Poole
 

Dusty,

I have the online version of the Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette and was able to take snapshots of the four pages of the coal shed article.  They are attached.

I hope I am not violating any copyright laws here.

Good luck and stay safe!

Ben Poole
Atlanta


On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 11:47 AM Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:
Mike, That's pretty close to what I'm looking for. There's enough of the critical info for me to get a grip on. I'll put the car unloading doors on the tall side and the 'delivery' doors on the low side. I like the idea of the foundation and floor joists raising the floor up to a good-looking height for trucks or wagons.

Dave, it's gonna take a few minutes to access Jan-Feb 1989 but I'm in hot pursuit.

Thank you everyone for all of your assistance in guiding me to some coal shed plans!

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707



--
Ben Poole
770-231-4718 - mobile


Dusty
 

Ben,

Thank you for the scans. Of course I saw your post after returning to the bench with J/F 89 in hand but thank you very much!!!!!!

Now I have to locate my clear S scale rule. I sure hope the guy who did the article knows his stuff! Just kidding Dave!

I'll cheat on the walls and use scribed styrene but I may sandwich short planks in between the 2 x 6s corners to simulate the alternating boards. Or not. Herein lies the problem. No 1/87 scale 12" scribed.  I can use .125, close but small. These sheds will be on the back side of the trackage so maybe they aren't 'the' primary focal point and .125 scribed will fill the bill. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again for everyone's generous and gracious contributions!

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707