Topics

Decoder in C-16

Robert Herrick

Folks,

I'm upgrading a Westside C-16 including DCC. Have any of you tried to cram a sound decoder and speaker into one of these tiny locomotives and were you happy with the quality of sound if you have? I'd appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions.

Thank you,

Bob Herrick

Mike Van Hove

I can’t swear to it, but I believe Jim Vail wrote an article about doing just that.

It was in either the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette, or the HOn3 Annual.

Sorry I can’t be more precise, but after moving to a retirement facility, I don’t have all those items at my fingertips.

Mike Van Hove
Columbia, MO

On Mar 29, 2020, at 12:29 PM, Robert Herrick <rdherrick@...> wrote:

Folks,

I'm upgrading a Westside C-16 including DCC. Have any of you tried to cram a sound decoder and speaker into one of these tiny locomotives and were you happy with the quality of sound if you have? I'd appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions.

Thank you,

Bob Herrick

Bob Burgoyne

Bob,
I had Westside C-16 278 installed by a professional. Recall the choice of speaker made a difference in the Bass sounds, giving a richer tone. I wish I could share details, but someone else did the installation. Happy with the sound and sync. This was in the early days of DCC (Soundtraxx - before Tsunami)) , but in the years since electronics have improved. You should be happy with the result.

Bob B
h0n3Bob

Ben Poole

Bob,

Thanks to Mike's recollection, I was able to locate the article that Jim Vail wrote about installing a Tsunami decoder in a C-16 for the 2011 HOn3 Annual.  It's on page 38 and like everything Jim did, it is crisp and detailed. If you don't have a copy of the issue, I can make a PDF of the relevant pages as long as it is not a copyright infringement.  @Chris Lane - can you please confirm?

Cheers!

Ben Poole
Atlanta, GA

--
Ben Poole
770-231-4718 - mobile

Mick Moignard

Yep. Soundtraxx Eco-100 when they were available and the cap in the can roof (it has been remotored so there was space) and sugarcube speaker in the smokebox.  SouNd quality and volume are fine. Straightforward install, no hassle.  Ah, and I lit the headlight, too.

Mick

________________________________
Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

, so please excuse the typos.

Robert Herrick

Ben---and thanks to all of you--I dug through my pile and discovered the 2011 annual with Jim's article. Slapping forehead. Why didn't I think to look there. Thanks to all of you for the response!

Bob Herrick

STEVEN WYSOWSKI

Bob,

I have installed decoders, keep alive, and speakers in. 3 Westside c-16’s. I used Loco_Doc’s motor upgrade but I have installed Tsunami2’s in 2 of them and a Wow Sound decoder in one.I used the Soundtraxx Current Keepers in all three and cube speakers in all three. Sound is very good, performance is outstanding. I programmed top speed of 25 scale mph with momentum stop and they run as fine as they look.Before this crisis, Ihad taken down my narrow gauge layout as we are building and planning an out of state move soI cannot show any photos but As mentioned in this thread, Jim vail posted in the Gazette which was helpful but not necessary.

Steve W

Ben Poole

Very good Bob!  Glad you will be able to move forward!

Ben Poole

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 8:51 AM Robert Herrick <rdherrick@...> wrote:
Ben---and thanks to all of you--I dug through my pile and discovered the 2011 annual with Jim's article. Slapping forehead. Why didn't I think to look there. Thanks to all of you for the response!

Bob Herrick

--
Ben Poole
770-231-4718 - mobile

STEVEN WYSOWSKI

Robert,

Jim Vail’s “How to” is in the 2011 issue of the HOn3 Annual on page 38.He upgrades a Westside “Hi Grade”, I have upgraded the Westside C-16’s with the motor hanging out the back, this is an easier motor upgrade in my opinion because the motor is not in a sleeve and the worm placement is a bit less critical in these than in the “hi grade” versions. Jim uses a flat speaker and that may save some space but a small Soundtraxx cube speaker may be better, that is what I used in all three of my C-16 upgrades.  I would be glad to answer questions.

Steve W

Robert Herrick

Oddly enough--I let Wayne know that I would call this afternoon to order the same kit. He offers one with a decoder wired, but it looks like you ordered the one without?

Bob H

Robert Herrick

Oops. The above was meant for Steve Wysowski.

Bob Herrick

STEVEN WYSOWSKI

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 12:27 PM, Robert Herrick wrote:
Oops. The above was meant for Steve Wysowski.

Bob Herrick
Hi Bob, correct, I did my own wiring etc. Wayne can do it as well and I believe he uses TCS decoders. I work on my club’s decoders and sound and always use Soundtraxx because I attended the Academy a few years ago and feel very comfortable with their products. That said,you see that i installed a TCS WOW Sound decoder in one of the C-16’s and it is perhaps my best running lokie. Both are great companies and you may even opt for another, but you will have plenty of room in the C-16 tender for electronics. Wayne’s upgrade kit is phenomenal as well... Good luck. If you need to contact me-860-329-2055.

Robert Herrick

Thank you, Steve. Wayne offers the kit with no decoder or a mounted TCS back EMF decoder. He doesn't say, but I assumed I'd have to add a separate sound-only decoder speaker, harness, etc. If that's the case, and since I want sound, seems more practical to order the non-decoder and use the savings to buy one. Made a note of your phone number. Will let you know how I proceed. Thanks again.

Bob Herrick