Topics

DCC wiring for a Dual Gauge reverse loop

Stephen Silver

Hi All,

I am building a new layout and have a reverse loop that was originally going to be single gauge (narrow).  I am now looking at the possibility of making the loop Dual Gauge.  While I am familiar with using auto reversing for the loop, as you can imagine (no drawing, just imagine) that I will need to transition the narrow gauge from one side to the other within the loop to be correct for the dual gauge turnout at the pointy end of the loop.
And my guess is this creates a second reverse loop of sorts.  All ideas appreciated.  I may have time to do a quick drawing and post it later.

Stephen Silver

Ernie Barney

Hi Stephan, first you will need a "draw" to physically move the NG rail from one side to the other. Shinohara made one or handlay. Note there is no polarity change, just shifting the rail (1-2 To 2-1) for instance. Gap and isolate a reversing section as you would for two rail operation and bridge the rails electrically with feeders.  You do not need a second polarity reversing device.

Steve Hatch

  Ernie is correct you do not need any thing special except the draw that moves the train to the other stock rail while your in the loop.
  The loop only needs all six rails gapped  just after the frog of the loop turnout.  The turnout is powered by the section leading to the
loop.   So no special consideration needed.
-Stephen Hatch
Railway Engineering

lloyd lehrer

If you cut all six, what does the loop use for power?

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

--
lloyd lehrer

Stephen Silver

Lloyd you power the loop (that is behind the isolation gaps) with a separate feed from your power source typically through an auto reversing unit such as the Digitrax AR1.