Topics

DC Power Supply Search

Earl Knoob

After many years I am getting back into HOn3 and once settled into my new house, I can start on my first layout in over 30 years.

The layout will be a one-man operation, with one train running at a time.  I will be doing old-school DC.  With over 25 HOn3 locomotives that I'd like to see running at some time or another, adding DCC decoders to all of them is.....well not going to happen.

I have found there is very little in the way of DC quality power supplies available today.  Looking through Walther's catalog, MRC seems to be the only one left in business.  I need to have tethered walk around capability, which further limits my choices.

Any and all suggestions appreciated,

Earl

Climax@...

Earl, before I got into PFM Sound, I used MRC 501 transformers.  I actually took them apart, removed the rheostat and used a telephone cable between the transformer and a small box with a metal lid that screwed on that I got at Radio Shack.  I also installed a double pole double throw center off toggle so I could reverse direction or just shut the power off.  I put the MRC units under the layout and have about 20 feet of cable so I had a 40 foot reach.  One end went into the transformer and the other into the bottom end of the box.  I had a loop on the top of the box so I could hang it up on hooks on the side of the layhout.  Since my room was only 30 x 30 that was enough.  Worked like a champ.
DB

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sep 21, 2020 10:48 PM
To: "HOn3@groups.io"
Subject: [HOn3] DC Power Supply Search

After many years I am getting back into HOn3 and once settled into my new house, I can start on my first layout in over 30 years.

The layout will be a one-man operation, with one train running at a time.  I will be doing old-school DC.  With over 25 HOn3 locomotives that I'd like to see running at some time or another, adding DCC decoders to all of them is.....well not going to happen.

I have found there is very little in the way of DC quality power supplies available today.  Looking through Walther's catalog, MRC seems to be the only one left in business.  I need to have tethered walk around capability, which further limits my choices.

Earl

waynecohen49@...

Are you up to building your own?  A SWAC/2 is a great throttle and has memory - speed won’t change when you unplug, move to a different location, and plug in again.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 7:58 PM <Climax@...> wrote:
Earl, before I got into PFM Sound, I used MRC 501 transformers.  I actually took them apart, removed the rheostat and used a telephone cable between the transformer and a small box with a metal lid that screwed on that I got at Radio Shack.  I also installed a double pole double throw center off toggle so I could reverse direction or just shut the power off.  I put the MRC units under the layout and have about 20 feet of cable so I had a 40 foot reach.  One end went into the transformer and the other into the bottom end of the box.  I had a loop on the top of the box so I could hang it up on hooks on the side of the layhout.  Since my room was only 30 x 30 that was enough.  Worked like a champ.
DB

Sent: Sep 21, 2020 10:48 PM

To: "HOn3@groups.io"

Earl

--
Wayne Cohen

Lawrence Wisniewski <lwreno@...>

As far as I can tell, the only quality DC power supply that fits your needs is the MRC Control Master 20.  This model has a large available amperage, a good tethered walk around control devise with momentum, and is built to last.  I had one that stayed running continuously for over 12 years.  About the only way to get these is via E Bay.  Most are available used but there are some listed (supposedly) as new.  Prices range from $100 to around $150.00.  I  don't believe these units are still offered new by MRC but I have heard that service on used units is still available.  

To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 10:48 pm

Earl

Earl,
Dallee Electronics makes a 2.5 amp walk around Yard Master throttle that has on / off momentum. It fits easily in your hand and with memory you can walk around the layout plugging in regular phone jacks as you move around. I have two of the original versions I used for years before going to DCC. Great product.

Gordon Spalty

Ernie Barney

Another option is to locate a used PBL Foreground system 2 with radio controller. NOT THE INFRARED VERSION. No need to install anything in the engines. Connect the systems power to your track and go. Use the audio outlets to connect to room speakers and you get the great PBL sound too. Really old school but simple, I used that setup for years prior to DCC.

Climax@...

Gordon, sell your two units to Earl!

Dave

Sent: Sep 22, 2020 7:43 AM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] DC Power Supply Search

Earl,
Dallee Electronics makes a 2.5 amp walk around Yard Master throttle that has on / off momentum. It fits easily in your hand and with memory you can walk around the layout plugging in regular phone jacks as you move around. I have two of the original versions I used for years before going to DCC. Great product.

Gordon Spalty

Keith Wiseman

Hello Earl,

I have a couple old Logging Supply Co. Throttles that have the walk around capability and the walk around stations. You just unplug, then plug in the next spot and keep going. They were the ultimate DC throttle in the eighties. I have 2 or 3 that are new in the box.  Give Me a call to discuss 859-484-9573

Keith Wiseman

Bill Nelson

These  are  my  favorite.  

On Sep 21, 2020, at 9:48 PM, Earl Knoob <earlk489@...> wrote:

Earl

Steve Hatch

I prefer just buying a digitrax zephyr or the 
5 amp unit.
Set your controller on 00 and it runs all your non decoders. Engines
That way if you ever want to do a decoder that will run also.
I use my digitrax to run nondecodered an decoded engines all the time
   I added radio to it and now it all runs fatherless as well
Including the nondecodered engines

Dave,
Sell ? Oh NO! ... one I use for my HOn30 portion of my layout. The other is for a future(?) switching set of modules using DC. I have some nice brass locos and others not converted to DCC I painted and detailed years ago... can't do that anymore. The throttles are still in excellent condition... keepers.

Gordon

David Laverick

Asked Digitrax today and this was their response:

Dear david laverick,

Hello David,

Both the Zephyr Express and Evolution Express Starter Sets will let you run analog decoders on address 00. The Zephyr Express will allow hookup of (2) DC power packs to use as extra throttles.

Please note that all tickets are Administratively Closed after a response is made. If further communication is required, please reopen the tickeinstead of creating a new one.

Your The Digitrax Help Desk Team,

On Sep 22, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Gordon <boomer1944@...> wrote:

Dave,
Sell ? Oh NO! ... one I use for my HOn30 portion of my layout. The other is for a future(?) switching set of modules using DC. I have some nice brass locos and others not converted to DCC I painted and detailed years ago... can't do that anymore. The throttles are still in excellent condition... keepers.

Gordon

Bob Burgoyne

Earl,

Just in case you wish to use the MRC Controlmaster 20, I have one unused NIB purchased for my layout. I bought at list price $249. I soon after was exposed to DCC and went that route. Willing to part with the system for $125 plus shipping. (A bit heavy) Ask Mr Google for details. Its a robust unit.

If interested, email me off list and we can connect. Best!
Bob Burgoyne
h (zero) n (three) bob @ yah**.com

Alan Kilby

I built a power supply in school with walk-around throttle.Remote throttle only required a potentiometer and dpdt switch to change direction I made wood box for switch and potentiometer with 1wire to transformer and the other to track,I used speaker wire because that's what I had,I used it for probably 15 years without problem .At time whole system cost me $7.
Alan

hiroechan

Back when I was into Ntrak, and before the market really adopted DCC, we used to use these Aristocraft Train Engineer wireless controllers for DC operation:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Scale-Aristocraft-Train-Engineer-Walk-Around-Control-System-ART-5470/174444700728?hash=item289db6e438:g:w8YAAOSwrTlfZ~sJ

I may still have a few stashed away. 

--Drew McCann

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 2:36 PM Alan Kilby <alankilby@...> wrote:
I built a power supply in school with walk-around throttle.Remote throttle only required a potentiometer and dpdt switch to change direction I made wood box for switch and potentiometer with 1wire to transformer and the other to track,I used speaker wire because that's what I had,I used it for probably 15 years without problem .At time whole system cost me $7.
Alan

Nolan Hinshaw

On Sep 24, 2020, at 11:56, hiroechan <hiroechan@...> wrote:

At times I miss the TAT-IV I built Way Back When, and the later TAT-V with the walkaround control, both lost during a sequence of moves-of-residence.
I've thought (not too seriously) of upgrading the concept with integrated circuits (12V CMOS for the logic and high-power MOS H-bridges for output) but other matters have pre-allocated the requisite round-tuits.