Cutting a large quantity of switch ties

Bill Lugg

I've got a situation where I've got to cut switch ties for 24 turnouts that will go in a yard.  Are there any thoughts for a quick way to do this other than sitting in front of a Chopper for multiple weeks cutting a few at a time?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

lloyd lehrer

Buy a little electric chopsaw

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

--
lloyd lehrer

Richard Brennan

At 07:18 PM 5/7/2021, Bill Lugg wrote:
I've got a situation where I've got to cut switch ties for 24 turnouts that will go in a yard. Are there any thoughts for a quick way to do this other than sitting in front of a Chopper for multiple weeks cutting a few at a time?
Use a laser cut (or similar) 'comb'... which is a fixture slotted to receive un-cut tie stock
The tie material is inserted against the diverging (curved) side of the fixture...
the straight side of the comb is left open... and the ties are cut-off as regularly or irregularly as you prefer.
Blue painter's tape will hold them together nicely as you place them in the yard.

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

Example:
[]

Bill Lugg

That's a good idea.  Where would one acquire these for HO turnouts?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

On 5/7/21 8:52 PM, Richard Brennan wrote:
At 07:18 PM 5/7/2021, Bill Lugg wrote:
I've got a situation where I've got to cut switch ties for 24 turnouts that will go in a yard.  Are there any thoughts for a quick way to do this other than sitting in front of a Chopper for multiple weeks cutting a few at a time?
Use a laser cut (or similar) 'comb'... which is a fixture slotted to receive un-cut tie stock
The tie material is inserted against the diverging (curved) side of the fixture...
the straight side of the comb is left open... and the ties are cut-off as regularly or irregularly as you prefer.
Blue painter's tape will hold them together nicely as you place them in the yard.

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

Example:
[]

Climax@...

When I hand lay track I first start by taking a 1 x 4 and gluing a 1/8 x 1/8 inch strip along its length. I then start putting ties glue do it. I put a glued down tie on then a non glued down tie, then a glued tie etc until I have about 24 inches of ties. I remove all the ties that are not glued down with a piece of blue painters tape or masking tape. I glue the surface where I want the ties and lay them in place on the glue. The tape keeps the spacing even in a curve. After it dries I just remove the tape and wala it's ready to lay rail on followed by ballast. Switches I draw where I want them, run the above tie strips as above up to where the switches are. I take a premade switch and lay it in place and go around it with a pencil. It clearly shows the spacing and length of each required tie. I just cut to length, and glue them down. I have even used regular length ties in some switches which was prototype on some railroads. Once I reach a point where the standard tie spacing is required, go back to using the painters taped ties. The jig never wears out and is so easy to use I even had my daughter make me strips of ties ready for gluing.
I used a .020 drill to drill holes on every 7th tie to spike Code 70 down. Seemed to help eliminate the disappearing spikes that go twang and you never find them again as you pushed them into an nondrilled tie.

[...]

Jim Marlett

I use a Chopper to cut switch ties and it isn’t that time consuming. I cut them three at a time and cut all I anticipate needing of any particular length at one time, then move on to the next length. Each length is put into its own zip lock sandwich bag with a label identifying that length in HO scale feet. You may have to do this in more than one session, but it shouldn’t take weeks.

To place the ties, I download a template from Fast Tracks, print it out and tape it to my workbench. I use a left hand template for right hand switches and a left hand template for right hand switches since I will be taping the ties upside down. I place a strip of painter’s tape sticky side up down the center of the template then tape the ends to the workbench somewhere beyond the template. I label the template for each tie length in HO scale feet so I can easily know which sandwich bag I should be dipping into for that particular tie. I place the tie on the template and tape until I have the whole template covered, lift up the tape/ties, hang them in a convenient place and move on the the next one. I suppose I could make a three dimensional template like I have for making standard length tie strips, but by the time I finished that, I would have a pretty significant number of switch tied glued to the layout using my “slow” method.

I should probably mention that Fast Tracks presupposes that your standard tie length will be 7 feet. If you use 6.5 foot. or 6 foot. ties, you should shorten the  length of each switch tie by six inches or a foot if you want to match those tie lengths.

In the photo, this switch will have pc board ties in the places where they are left off. If you aren’t soldering rails to pc board ties, you will want to include all of the ties indicated. The Kapler switch ties I use are only 12 feet long vs. Mt. Albert ties which are 14 feet long. That has consequences at the wide end of the template.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On May 7, 2021, at 9:18 PM, Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:

I've got a situation where I've got to cut switch ties for 24 turnouts that will go in a yard.  Are there any thoughts for a quick way to do this other than sitting in front of a Chopper for multiple weeks cutting a few at a time?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Bill Lugg

Thanks for the responses.  I had a brain fart last night based on Mr. Brennan's proposal that I could 3D print a block to hold a group of ties I could run through the table saw...with great care.  I'm working on the model for that now and will let you know of my success.

Bill Lugg

On Fri, May 7, 2021, 7:18 PM Bill Lugg <luggw1@risebroadband.net <mailto:luggw1@risebroadband.net>> wrote:

I've got a situation where I've got to cut switch ties for 24
turnouts
that will go in a yard.  Are there any thoughts for a quick way to do
this other than sitting in front of a Chopper for multiple weeks
cutting
a few at a time?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

--
lloyd lehrer

Bill Lugg

Well, I settled on this little device to cut 5 turnouts worth of ties at one time.  I stack them in the block and put screws and wing nuts in the holes to hold everything together.  A quick pass through the Microlux table saw and I've got ties galore.

Thanks for the ideas.  I did find I can turn out long ties on the chopper pretty quick as Jim suggested.  Thanks to him too for the idea of laying down the tape first as I have a crossover template I will need both LH and RH, but don't want to go to the trouble of flipping it, printing it again and taping the pieces together.

Bill Lugg