Topics

Curve radius for larger K locos

Mike Chamberlain

  With the hold up of the Blackstone K 28 / K 36 I've been thinking of Brass . My layout is designed for the Blackstone models ( 18" curves )  . Looking at many models on Ebay it looks like it should be possible to run the bigger K's with maybe some minor modifications on 18" curves . Has anyone done this or have info of which locos may be able to be modified ?    ......Mike

Craig Linn

Hi Mike.

At one time I had purchased a West Side K-36 and converted it to DCC to run in my layout. I have 20” min radius around the layout.

There were a couple places around the layout that engine was NOT happy operating....mostly at the 20” places and a few s curves that my BS engines operate fine on.

I’ll be watching this post with interest to see if guys have a great mod to get this to work.

Craig

On Mar 19, 2020, at 10:45 AM, Mike Chamberlain <mikec6201@...> wrote:

  With the hold up of the Blackstone K 28 / K 36 I've been thinking of Brass . My layout is designed for the Blackstone models ( 18" curves )  . Looking at many models on Ebay it looks like it should be possible to run the bigger K's with maybe some minor modifications on 18" curves . Has anyone done this or have info of which locos may be able to be modified ?    ......Mike

Mike Chamberlain

Thanks Craig ,  Do you know if your problems were piolet / trailing truck related  , or is it more a loco - tender interference  thing ? .....Mike

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 1:33 PM Craig Linn <drgw346@...> wrote:
[...]

Hey Mike.

My issue was a combo of issues...but mostly was issues with the main drivers and the lack of lateral play in those.

Just my experience.

Craig

On Mar 19, 2020, at 4:24 PM, Mike Chamberlain <mikec6201@...> wrote:

[...]

Ahh , that might just kill the idea . I wonder if there are any models with a looser lateral tolerance . Thanks Craig !

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 8:14 PM Craig Linn <drgw346@...> wrote:
[...]

Earl Knoob

Unfortunately, back in the dark ages we all used 22" radius for all 2-8-2s.