Topics

Curve radius for larger K locos

Mike Chamberlain

With the hold up of the Blackstone K 28 / K 36 I've been thinking of Brass . My layout is designed for the Blackstone models ( 18" curves )  . Looking at many models on Ebay it looks like it should be possible to run the bigger K's with maybe some minor modifications on 18" curves . Has anyone done this or have info of which locos may be able to be modified ?    ......Mike

Craig Linn

Hi Mike. 

At one time I had purchased a West Side K-36 and converted it to DCC to run in my layout. I have 20” min radius around the layout. 

There were a couple places around the layout that engine was NOT happy operating....mostly at the 20” places and a few s curves that my BS engines operate fine on. 

I’ll be watching this post with interest to see if guys have a great mod to get this to work. 

Craig

On Mar 19, 2020, at 10:45 AM, Mike Chamberlain <mikec6201@...> wrote:

With the hold up of the Blackstone K 28 / K 36 I've been thinking of Brass . My layout is designed for the Blackstone models ( 18" curves )  . Looking at many models on Ebay it looks like it should be possible to run the bigger K's with maybe some minor modifications on 18" curves . Has anyone done this or have info of which locos may be able to be modified ?    ......Mike

Mike Chamberlain

Thanks Craig ,  Do you know if your problems were piolet / trailing truck related  , or is it more a loco - tender interference  thing ? .....Mike

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 1:33 PM Craig Linn <drgw346@...> wrote:
Hi Mike. 

At one time I had purchased a West Side K-36 and converted it to DCC to run in my layout. I have 20” min radius around the layout. 

There were a couple places around the layout that engine was NOT happy operating....mostly at the 20” places and a few s curves that my BS engines operate fine on. 

I’ll be watching this post with interest to see if guys have a great mod to get this to work. 

Craig

Craig Linn

Hey Mike. 

My issue was a combo of issues...but mostly was issues with the main drivers and the lack of lateral play in those. 

Just my experience. 

Craig

On Mar 19, 2020, at 4:24 PM, Mike Chamberlain <mikec6201@...> wrote:

Thanks Craig ,  Do you know if your problems were piolet / trailing truck related  , or is it more a loco - tender interference  thing ? .....Mike

Hi Mike. 

Craig

Mike Chamberlain

Ahh , that might just kill the idea . I wonder if there are any models with a looser lateral tolerance . Thanks Craig !

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 8:14 PM Craig Linn <drgw346@...> wrote:
Hey Mike. 

My issue was a combo of issues...but mostly was issues with the main drivers and the lack of lateral play in those. 

Just my experience. 

Craig

Hi Mike. 

Craig

Earl Knoob

Unfortunately, back in the dark ages we all used 22" radius for all 2-8-2s.

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of Craig Linn <drgw346@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 6:14 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Curve radius for larger K locos

Hey Mike. 

Just my experience. 

Craig

Hi Mike. 

Craig