Topics

Cricut Maker Questions

Dusty

OK,I know this isn't the Cricut List but if anyone has used the Maker I have three questions. Black Friday prices in effect.

1. Has anyone made a stencil for a roof sign. I'd like to spray a weak sign.
2. Has anyone cut/scribed styrene. I hate laying out windows so even scribed locations would be great.
3. Any other Model RR uses?

Please contact me off line or by phone.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Alan

Dusty,
 I have had the Cricut Maker ever since the day they were released. I have used mine for all sorts of project from cutting styrene, cardboard, poster board, paper and chipboard/MDF.  There is a bit of a learning curve. The Designer Studio which is the software  allows you to design a lot of things yourself and then cut them out. I have made structures with poster board for the shell and then covered it with strips of paper cut for clap board. Also laid out drawing for shingles and cut them out in construction paper. I only speak for myself but I feel I have gotten my monies worth out of it.
Regard
Al - CVP Products now retired

Mike Conder

There is a CriCut FB group out there called "Modeling with the CriCut.". I joined because I have one, and some pretty good work is there.  All the stuff so far is related to model RR's.

And yes people are cutting styrene with it.  At least 0.020" and I think up to 0.040".   The trick is to make multiple passes, which is easy since you don't move the plastic on the backer sheet between cuts.

It's perfect for doing building sides, car sides, window frames, etc.  You can do all four sides of a building with a mix of cuts and scoring, then folks over all four sides to make a box.

You do have to use the CriCut design software to run it but it takes all sorts of file formats.  I've used .DWG and other formats with my CriCut.

My only issue is that I've been trying to cut shingles for an RGS conical water tank roof without success.  The design apparently is too complex for the CriCut software, even when I broke it down into 4 sections.

Miles Hale has some YouTube videos on his user of the CriCut IIRC.

Mike Conder

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 5:02 PM Dusty <Dustburm@q.com> wrote:
OK,I know this isn't the Cricut List but if anyone has used the Maker I have three questions. Black Friday prices in effect.

1. Has anyone made a stencil for a roof sign. I'd like to spray a weak sign.
2. Has anyone cut/scribed styrene. I hate laying out windows so even scribed locations would be great.
3. Any other Model RR uses?

Please contact me off line or by phone.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Alan

Mike,

 You are the second person who has posted about the "Modeling with the CriCut." FB group. When I put it in the FB search it never comes up. Are you sure that is the correct name?
Thank you
Alan

John Stutz

Another question on CriCut Maker: What is the smallest inside radius these can cut?  As in opening the top corners of a rounded or arched passenger car window.

John Stutz

On November

Alan

John,
 I have not seen anything posted in the way of minimum and maximum values for the Cricut Maker. I have been able to cut everything I have drawn up in my SVG and DFX files. I have cut rounded inside corners that were darn small for HO  scale. I use the deep knife accessory for cuts like that. The Deep Knife is Cricuts version of the #11 blade and it use the very tip of the blade for some nice cuts. Sometimes I have had to clean up some of the cuts by hand but sure is a lot better then cutting it all out by hand.
Alan

Mike Conder

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 7:12 PM Alan <alan.lautenslager@...> wrote:
Mike,

 You are the second person who has posted about the "Modeling with the CriCut." FB group. When I put it in the FB search it never comes up. Are you sure that is the correct name?
Thank you
Alan

Mike Conder

Exactly.  This is essentially an inexpensive 2D plotter and normally used for curly and fancy stencils and stickers and all sorts of stuff.  No issues on curves.

Mike Conder

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 8:44 AM Alan <alan.lautenslager@...> wrote:
John,
 I have not seen anything posted in the way of minimum and maximum values for the Cricut Maker. I have been able to cut everything I have drawn up in my SVG and DFX files. I have cut rounded inside corners that were darn small for HO  scale. I use the deep knife accessory for cuts like that. The Deep Knife is Cricuts version of the #11 blade and it use the very tip of the blade for some nice cuts. Sometimes I have had to clean up some of the cuts by hand but sure is a lot better then cutting it all out by hand.
Alan

Alan

Mike,
 Your link takes me to the search engine for FB and does come up with a long list of Cricut groups however there is not one called " Modeling with the Cricut" that you said you are a member of.

 Could you go to your group and then copy the address in the above search bar and then post it?

Thank you - Alan

Pete C

Alan, there is a group called Modeling with the Cricut Explorer that seems to be geared towards the model railroader.  Below is the link.  I believe this is the one Mike was referring to.

Pete

On Nov 25, 2020, at 4:39 PM, Alan <alan.lautenslager@...> wrote:

Mike,
 Your link takes me to the search engine for FB and does come up with a long list of Cricut groups however there is not one called " Modeling with the Cricut" that you said you are a member of.

 Could you go to your group and then copy the address in the above search bar and then post it?

Thank you - Alan

Alan

Thanks Pete but your link does not work. I will put it into FB search and see if it comes up.
Alan

rick@...

Alan,

Worked for me.

Rick

Thanks Pete but your link does not work. I will put it into FB search and see if it comes up.

Alan

Hi Rick,
 I tried the link numerous times it comes up stating it is not available at this time and in addition when I search for the groups name in the FB search it does not locate it.
 Odd ! ! !

I'll try later.

Thanks!

Mike Conder

That's the one, yes.

Mike Conder

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 3:53 PM Pete C <sp4450@...> wrote:
Alan, there is a group called Modeling with the Cricut Explorer that seems to be geared towards the model railroader.  Below is the link.  I believe this is the one Mike was referring to.

Pete

On Nov 25, 2020, at 4:39 PM, Alan <alan.lautenslager@...> wrote:

Mike,
 Your link takes me to the search engine for FB and does come up with a long list of Cricut groups however there is not one called " Modeling with the Cricut" that you said you are a member of.

 Could you go to your group and then copy the address in the above search bar and then post it?

Thank you - Alan

Scott

Link worked for me as well.  Make sure you are logged into Facebook.  Maybe copy and paste link?

Scott McDonald

Alan

Here is what I get every time I go to that link.

This Content Isn't Available Right Now

When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted.

Bill Lugg

Here's a snapshot of what I got when I clicked on the link.  I'm not on FB, so it does me no good, but I'd say the link works...for me at least.

HTH
Bill Lugg

On 11/25/20 8:21 PM, Alan wrote:
Here is what I get every time I go to that link.

This Content Isn't Available Right Now

When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it
with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been
deleted.

Bill Lugg

And of course is dropped the pasted image...so let's try this.

Bill

On 11/25/20 8:21 PM, Alan wrote:
Here is what I get every time I go to that link.

  This Content Isn't Available Right Now

  When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it
  with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been
  deleted.

Jim Marlett

I not only saw the page, I joined the group. (No, I don’t have a Circuit yet.). I can’t imagine why you can’t get there. Is your operating system way out of date?

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Nov 25, 2020, at 9:21 PM, Alan <alan.lautenslager@...> wrote:

Here is what I get every time I go to that link.

This Content Isn't Available Right Now

When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted.

Ian McKinley

The link worked for me and I applied for membership. It didn't look like a very active group, maybe every one is building models. The archives should be useful.

Ian