Topics

Coupler thoughts

claneon30

Comrade Train Enthusiasts,

Now that the Kadee 705 have been out for awhile and we've had a chance to play with them, I have an informal polling question.

If someone were to offer a new ready-to-run car as we've seen from Blackstone or Micro-Trains, which coupler would you want it to come with: 714 or 705s?

Do NOT say Sergents.

Chris Lane

lloyd lehrer

A broader set of 705 questions:

Do they couple well with the 714 and the microtrains N scale couplers?

Do the uncouple 705 to 714 or to N as easy with a pick as the 714 to 714 or the 714 to N?

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

--
lloyd lehrer

Bill Miller

705  I like the metal Knuckle and spring

Bill Miller

Now that the Kadee 705 have been out for awhile and we've had a chance to play with them, I have an informal polling question.

If someone were to offer a new ready-to-run car as we've seen from Blackstone or Micro-Trains, which coupler would you want it to come with: 714 or 705s?

Do NOT say Sergents.

Chris Lane

Mike Van Hove

Do NOT say Sergents.  ( I guess that leaves me out of the discussion.)  🤔

Mike Van Hove
Columbia, MO

On Nov 7, 2019, at 11:11 AM, claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:

Comrade Train Enthusiasts,

Now that the Kadee 705 have been out for awhile and we've had a chance to play with them, I have an informal polling question.

If someone were to offer a new ready-to-run car as we've seen from Blackstone or Micro-Trains, which coupler would you want it to come with: 714 or 705s?

Do NOT say Sergents.

Chris Lane

lloyd lehrer

Just because Chris says don't say it, does not mean the rest of us don't want data.

lloyd lehrer, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (310)951-9097

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:59 AM Mike Van Hove <vanhovem22@...> wrote:

Do NOT say Sergents.  ( I guess that leaves me out of the discussion.)  🤔

Mike Van Hove
Columbia, MO

On Nov 7, 2019, at 11:11 AM, claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:

Comrade Train Enthusiasts,

Now that the Kadee 705 have been out for awhile and we've had a chance to play with them, I have an informal polling question.

If someone were to offer a new ready-to-run car as we've seen from Blackstone or Micro-Trains, which coupler would you want it to come with: 714 or 705s?

Do NOT say Sergents.

Chris Lane

--
lloyd lehrer

bob.meckley@...

I would stick with the 714 for a new Ready to Run car because that's the bulk of what I have in my BS cars and kits that I have built as well as scratch built over the years. If not, the car should be designed for replacing what they provide with them.
Are the 705 couplers compatible with the 714 design?

Bob Meckley
Glen NH

Ric Case

After installing around ten sets my thoughts are you either do all of your cars or none!
I find even though they mate well,they really don’t like to couple readily. I am using Blackstone trucks and the cars like to roll away from instead of couple to each other! The 705 cars seam to couple well and the same thing with the714 cars.
They play together but not extremely well!
The 705 coupler is a nice product but the expense of converting 200 plus cars is way to prohibiting.
Maybe if I could hit the lottery.
I still have another ten pair to install for more ongoing testing!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Nov 7, 2019, at 12:39 PM, Bill Miller via Groups.Io <ebteng18@...> wrote:

705  I like the metal Knuckle and spring

Bill Miller

Now that the Kadee 705 have been out for awhile and we've had a chance to play with them, I have an informal polling question.

If someone were to offer a new ready-to-run car as we've seen from Blackstone or Micro-Trains, which coupler would you want it to come with: 714 or 705s?

Do NOT say Sergents.

Chris Lane

Dale Buxton

Of the two choices given I would hands down choose the 705's. But, here is the rub. Because they couple to both 714's and Sergents. I would pick them for that reason and that reason only. This is probably not what you wanted to hear but there you are.

Dale Buxton

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:11 AM claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:

Comrade Train Enthusiasts,

Now that the Kadee 705 have been out for awhile and we've had a chance to play with them, I have an informal polling question.

If someone were to offer a new ready-to-run car as we've seen from Blackstone or Micro-Trains, which coupler would you want it to come with: 714 or 705s?

Do NOT say Sergents.

Chris Lane

duncan

Chris,

    I haven't been able to get any of the new couplers because my local hobby shop, Caboose, doesn't have them, despite my ordering them about four months ago!  But, from what I have been able to hear from others, I think I'd go with the new couplers, the # 705.  Mostly this is because of their ability to couple with all the others: 714, 713 and Sergents.

Duncan Harvey

John

Hi Chris,
The 705s would be great! As long as its not a D&RGW car🙃
SP narrow gauge would be nice
John Peckham

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM, duncan
<train3guy@...> wrote:
Chris,

    I haven't been able to get any of the new couplers because my local
hobby shop, Caboose, doesn't have them, despite my ordering them about
four months ago!  But, from what I have been able to hear from others, I
think I'd go with the new couplers, the # 705.  Mostly this is because
of their ability to couple with all the others: 714, 713 and Sergents.

Duncan Harvey

hiroechan

Gents,

So far, I've installed the new 705's on approximately 60 cars, plus four locomotives. (two blackstone C19's, two Grandt Line original 23-ton boxcabs.) I plan to equip my entire fleet, and will sell off about 95% of my 714's.

Given a choice, I'd definitely prefer any new RTR equipment ship with the 705's vs any other option (including sergeants).

The 705 couples easily with the 714 and N scale versions both, on straight and level track.
On curves, there's a bit more manual alignment needed to get them to engage.
I only have a single sergent-equipped car, but the 705's couple easily with that as well.

--Drew McCann

Jeff Young

OK, if I can’t say “Sergents” then: “whichever is easiest to replace with a Sergent”. ;)

Mike Van Hove

Well said, Jeff.

Mike Van hove

On Nov 7, 2019, at 1:21 PM, Jeff Young <jeff@...> wrote:

OK, if I can’t say “Sergents” then: “whichever is easiest to replace with a Sergent”. ;)

claneon30

I was looking for feedback between the Kadees. The Sergents are great and I know some folks love them (remember I had a long article on installing them in the 2011 HOn3 Annual). But they are a different animal and unlikely to be included with a RTR car.

Chris Lane - Editor HOn3 Annual

On Nov 7, 2019, at 11:14 AM, lloyd lehrer <lloydlehrer@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Kasprowicz

Blackstone considered Sergents but realised #714's are regarded as industry standards and that was an insurrmountable barrier.

Mark K

Art D3

With the smaller coupler box, I would say the 705s.

Art Dutra

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8 Active, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

--
Art Dutra
Meriden, CT

claneon30

Good one!

As Mark K pointed out, I doubt they would be considered by any manufacturer for the RTR market., which was my premise. Say thing in the O scale market, it would be either the Kadee 803 or the San Juan Evolution, even though there are other brands/sizes in use.

On Nov 7, 2019, at 12:21 PM, Jeff Young <jeff@...> wrote:

OK, if I can’t say “Sergents” then: “whichever is easiest to replace with a Sergent”. ;)

claneon30

That was the thrust of my inquiry. Has the industry standard changed? And taking this a bit further, assuming Blackstone releases a new car (and I have no knowledge that that is the case) would they stick with the 714 as before?

The reason for my inquiry is that while I own a semi-stupid amount of HOn3, I am not currently actively modeling in the scale and wanted to get the thoughts of those who are. While I don’t know of anything specific, (so don’t get excited) I assume that at some point in the future, Blackstone, Micro-Trains (or whoever buys that tooling) or some new player in HOn3 is going to be asking themselves this question, and wanted to have an answer in my mind should I be asked.

On Nov 7, 2019, at 12:51 PM, Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

Blackstone considered Sergents but realised #714's are regarded as industry standards and that was an insurrmountable barrier.

Mark K

Mark Lewis

Chris:

My experience with 705's has been positive, although some installs need an unreasonable amount of tinkering to get them installed. The 705's couple/uncouple to 714's, to my satisfaction (I am a manual/"skewer" uncoupler user) and will couple to the Sergent equipped car I built, but uncoupling can be a challenge.

My vote to your question is...705's.

My hope is that Kadee takes the many concerns voiced by HOn3 modelers and offers a smaller draft gear box to contain a coupler shank that would swap into molded on Blackstone and Rail Line draft gear boxes, without surgery.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 4:39 PM claneon30 <chrislaneon30@...> wrote:
[...]

Dusty

No on the 705 with the current shank. Give me a 705 coupler to effortlessly retro fit most existing equipment before making the 705 the defacto std. 714s and 705s aren't ALWAYS the best coupling and uncoupling mates. Two 705s can be pretty tight for 'picking'.

The first '705' could/should have been a drop in for 714 compatible boxes. I just assembled a 714 and melt welded the split knuckle parts together. Guess what? They still pivot and center (oops, and bounce). So anyone with a Blackstone piece of equipment, a screw driver, a knife, one right thumb and one left thumb could improve the appearance of that engine or car with a drop in. Let's see? If half of the existing Blackstone cars got drop in 705s at $2.75+- a car how much $ is that? Plus the lost spring replacement revenue!

Look at the HO 'scale' coupler model. Narrow box for scratch builder and such. But a #5 box compatible choice for existing applications. Why not Hon3.

Dusty Burman