Corrugated siding

Scott Baker

Hello friends,
I took about 6 years off from the hobby due to returning to school, but I'm building structures, rolling stock, and planing a layout again. I was modeling "the three little lines" out of Silverton before (along with modeling some C&S equipment, I couldn't help myself!). I don't know what I'm going to focus on now, but I'm in the process of planning/building some structures in Durango and I'm still drawn to the SG&N, SN, and Silverton.
Question:
I'm scratch building the SN engine house now and I have enough Campbell corrugated siding to complete it. Since being gone from the hobby a bit, a lot of new modeling supplies/techniques have been introduced. I have a lot of (hoarded) stuff from before luckily such as the Campbell siding, but I'm looking for a cheaper substitute for the future, maybe a printed product, etc. I have some Eastern scale basswood sheets and Evergreen and Plastruct plastic sheets, but the ribs scale out too large. I also know some have made their own out of foil which I have never tried. Do you have any recommendations for realistic products?
Thanks in advance,
Scott Baker

John G Massura

Wild West Models makes a nice paper corrugated.

Also Berkshire Valley makes a SN Engine house kit.

John

On Jan 22, 2021, at 10:49, sbake5570@... wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the heads up on the Wild West Models. I have noticed that a lot of the manufacturers that are making the laser cut kits don't offer the details, roofing, siding separately. It is awesome Berkshire Valley is keeping the Anvil line going and would love to order their tram tower hardware sometime. I considered the engine house kit, but I enjoy scratch building off of plans, or old kits, even though I'm slow LOL. One of these days I will try a laser kit though, the folks designing these are doing an awesome (and beautiful) job and giving us a lot of unique prototypes unseen in the past!

jmcqiv@...

I used plastruct N scale corrugated siding sheets for HO scale roofing  It is extruded with the ribs on both sides of the sheet rather than on one side like the Evergreen.
Jim McQueeny MMR

On Jan 22, 2021, at 12:01 PM, sbake5570@... wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on the Wild West Models. I have noticed that a lot of the manufacturers that are making the laser cut kits don't offer the details, roofing, siding separately. It is awesome Berkshire Valley is keeping the Anvil line going and would love to order their tram tower hardware sometime. I considered the engine house kit, but I enjoy scratch building off of plans, or old kits, even though I'm slow LOL. One of these days I will try a laser kit though, the folks designing these are doing an awesome (and beautiful) job and giving us a lot of unique prototypes unseen in the past!

alsands@...

Have a look at this site http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/ironmaker/ironmaker.htm, I use one of these, it is so simple to use, watch the video on the page.
Luke suggests using Caterers foil as it is stronger, you can buy a pack from them which will make a lot of iron.
One Iron Maker and one packof foil will cost about $au18.00 which is less than $us15.00 all prices shown in Australia include the 10% GST, whic will come of
when shipped to the US.

Alan Sandsrule

Perth

Western Australia

Steve Hatch

   I actually make my own as needed.   I make it out of the real thick aluminum foil
and form it on a "stick" I made with corrugations on it.
 The stick is the right size to make panels and I just rub the foil on the
surface of the stick and "voila" you have a corrugated panel.
I can send a picture if you want it.

Eric Schrowang

Hi All,
Here is a tool to make your own corrugated metal. It is in 1/72nd scale but I fiquire it is close enough to 1/87 for most folks. They also make one in 1/48th scale for any O scale modelers. Rick Green did a good video on this in Train Masters TV.

Eric

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:50 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:
   I actually make my own as needed.   I make it out of the real thick aluminum foil
and form it on a "stick" I made with corrugations on it.
 The stick is the right size to make panels and I just rub the foil on the
surface of the stick and "voila" you have a corrugated panel.
I can send a picture if you want it.

Scott Baker

I appreciate all of the ideas you all have shared, looking forward to trying a few!
Scott Baker

Mark Rosche

Hi,

To add to the list of tools for making model corrugated metal here is one from „down under“ the tool is available from N to G Scale:

I use the S Scale one quite often and use „Shisha“ foil as it is thicker than heavy duty aluminum foil with good results.

Regards,

Mark

Don‘t take life too seriously...no one gets out alive anyway....

On 23. Jan 2021, at 21:12, Eric Schrowang <eschrowang@...> wrote:

Hi All,
Here is a tool to make your own corrugated metal. It is in 1/72nd scale but I fiquire it is close enough to 1/87 for most folks. They also make one in 1/48th scale for any O scale modelers. Rick Green did a good video on this in Train Masters TV.

Eric

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:50 PM Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:
   I actually make my own as needed.   I make it out of the real thick aluminum foil
and form it on a "stick" I made with corrugations on it.
 The stick is the right size to make panels and I just rub the foil on the
surface of the stick and "voila" you have a corrugated panel.
I can se
<corsiding1.jpg>
nd a picture if you want it.

Alan Kilby

I've used 2 combs laying foil on 1 and pressing other on top to corrugate foil.Combs have lots of different space,size times to choose from.I use a metal pet comb on bottom.
Alan

[...]

Don Bergman

MY Vanadium mill complex is all heavy-duty aluminum foil.  At $15.00 I would have purchased that tool in a minute.  I pressed it against a piece of corrugated styrene.
Don Bergman

Mark Lewis

Don,

Your Mill complex build is spectacular!

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

Climax@...

I have used a large straight cut, not cross cut, metal file and finger pressure to make the corrugations.  Aluminum foil is fun to play with, you can make anything from corrugated metal to match rockets with it.

MY Vanadium mill complex is all heavy-duty aluminum foil.  At $15.00 I would have purchased that tool in a minute.  I pressed it against a piece of corrugated styrene.
Don Bergman

Climax@...

Don:
It would have made it much more pleasurable to have Molly Murphy, from her House of Ill Repute, do the pressing up against you to get the ridges you desired! hahahhaha
Mule