Convert Bachmann 0-6-0 Plymouth N Gage to HOn3

mdaviesKT88@...

I have a Bachmann 0-6-0 Plymouth N Gage engine that I would like to convert to HOn3. I have removed the shell to expose the motor housing and frame. I have not found a way to separate the motor housing from the frame so that I can access the wheels to expand them to HOn3. There is room to do this but I need to access. There appears to be a brass pin or screw that holds the frame and motor housing together but the head is obscured by the motor housing. I can see the pin from the bottom of the frame. I can drill it out from the bottom of the frame, but reluctant to do that if there is better access. I have a new HOn3 scale shell to attach once the wheels are converted. See Photos. Let me know if there are any ideas floating around.

Thanks
Michael

kevin b

well, i sort of have an answer.
first, let me say this:
if you widen the track width of the existing wheelsets enough to run on HOn3 trackage, you've still got N scale drivers on your now converted HOn3 loco.
'course, if you have body work and spring hangers and such over them, no one may notice.
ok, so, my idea for this conversion is as follows:
leave the stock wheels alone.
get some HO scale wheels from an HO scale plymouth. or pretty much any HO scale solid center driver
TONS of those around, by numerous manufacturers.
anyway, measure the N scale wheel diameter.
drill out the back side of the HO scale wheel so that they more or less press fit on to the N scale ones.
adjust them to HOn3 gauge and now you got HO scale wheels on an HOn3 loco.

that's how i'd do it anyhow.
Kevin.

I have a Bachmann 0-6-0 Plymouth N Gage engine that I would like to convert to HOn3. I have removed the shell to expose the motor housing and frame. I have not found a way to separate the motor housing from the frame so that I can access the wheels to expand them to HOn3. There is room to do this but I need to access. There appears to be a brass pin or screw that holds the frame and motor housing together but the head is obscured by the motor housing. I can see the pin from the bottom of the frame. I can drill it out from the bottom of the frame, but reluctant to do that if there is better access. I have a new HOn3 scale shell to attach once the wheels are converted. See Photos. Let me know if there are any ideas floating around.

Thanks
Michael

mdaviesKT88@...

Thanks Kevin, That is a great idea. I’m still struggling to separate the frame from the motor housing. We’ll see how that goes.

Michael

[...]

please keep me in the loop on the project.
i'd like to see photos of your progress etc.
Kevin.

[...]

Climax@...

You can gain a lot of room for DCC by removing that huge bulb and putting in a #402 white or soft white LED with a 1K 1/8W resister to protect it.

[...]

Nigel Phillips

Hi Michael,

Is that a Bachmann? The only ones I am familiar with have split chassis. Looks like something Lima/Trix/Rocco would have made.

Nigel

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 5:46 PM <Climax@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes it is a Bachmann. Unless I get an inspiration the only way I can see to separate the frame from the motor housing is drilling out the pin. I’ll have to build up some courage before I take that step. I also have a Lima 0-4-0 Plymouth that I’m working with.