Topics

conoco tank cars

Robert Veefkind

Have any of you modeled the Conoco tanks using the MDC "old timer" 30 foot models? Not a perfection type thing but a reasonable representation? Grandts volume iv has some nice photos and a drawing of the wide frame type. What type trucks were they ?      Bob V.

Brian Kopp

Robert for decals the attached PDF might help. I worked on some mid/late 20s decals for Continental Oil cars I want to make from those Roundhouse old timer 26' tank cars.

The lettering style is the block letters (San Jun Models has a nice picture of them too). There are enough decals for 15 cars if you print the half sheet. They're not perfect but there aren't alot of options out there just now so I was happy with them. I jammed the end decals in the middle so you need a sharp knife to cut them out.

If you know someone who can print waterslide white you will have the white on black tank cars. Stan Cedarleaf printed mine. He advertises in the Gazette and prices are reasonable.

Later this year I hope to build a few (no pictures yet). I have accumulated 5 of the Roundhouse cars from shows and ebay.For the mid/late 20s I was going to use Kadee 721's, the 4'6" arch bar trucks.

Here is the one catch: If you don't like the tested by location and railroad (my proto-lance line), I can send you the Visio file so you can modify it to read Denver or wherever, or you can just cut it out.......

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Robert Furrer

Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for your info and offer. However, I no longer need such decals. I have the few cars I wanted decorated with a later paint scheme, and that has got to do.

Best regards from Switzerland, and once again, many thanks. And stay safe in these crazy times.

Robert

[...]

My pleasure Robert. Send along a picture of your tank car conversion when you are ready to share one. I'd love to see it!
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Don Bergman

Bob V. asked....

Have any of you modeled the CONOCO tanks using the MDC "old timer" 30 foot models? Not a perfection type thing but a reasonable representation? Grandts volume iv has some nice photos and a drawing of the wide frame type. What type trucks were they ?

Yes, I have several in a string of tank cars and although those familiar with them will note a slight difference most visitors see them the same as a Blackstone!  The CONOCO is slightly lower, dome appears smaller. Height is the same.  If you are looking for a low cost nice looking tank car I say go for it.   Picked mine up for $4.95.

Don Bergman

lloyd lehrer

Hey Don, post some images of those tankcars.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020, 6:25 PM Don Bergman <DBRenegade@...> wrote:
Bob V. asked....

Have any of you modeled the CONOCO tanks using the MDC "old timer" 30 foot models? Not a perfection type thing but a reasonable representation? Grandts volume iv has some nice photos and a drawing of the wide frame type. What type trucks were they ?

Yes, I have several in a string of tank cars and although those familiar with them will note a slight difference most visitors see them the same as a Blackstone!  The CONOCO is slightly lower, dome appears smaller. Height is the same.  If you are looking for a low cost nice looking tank car I say go for it.   Picked mine up for $4.95.

Don Bergman

--
lloyd lehrer

kevin b

Hello Brian:

 for decals the attached PDF might help. I worked on some mid/late 20s decals for Continental Oil cars I want to make from those Roundhouse old timer 26' tank cars.
 There are enough decals for 15 cars if you print the half sheet.

sort of "pirating the signal" here,,,,, but, I have several of the MDC tank cars destined for my narrow gauge line.
i'd like to put the logo you sent on.
so, dumb question:
how do I turn that into a decal?
 is there some kind of decal paper to print on or something?

thanks.
Kevin.

Brian Kopp

Hi Kevin,
The short answer is yes if you don't need to print white lettering or real high resolution. A color (or black only) laser printer can take decal paper and print on it like any other paper.
The resolution won't be any better than that of your laser printer though. I buy the paper on ebay where you can search "laser decal paper".

Now if you need higher resolution than your laser printer provides or you need white lettering then you consider using the services of a decal printing business. For small decals like those for model railroading many services use decal printers like those from Alps that can print white ink. You can see the printers at alps-printers.com. I don't think they are manufactured anymore since they want Windows XP on the host machine. The price is not consumer grade....

The good news for HOn3 is that the decals are so small that a PDF file is good enough to give to the printing service. If the decals are any larger then the printer will typically want Illustrator or CorelDRAW files or some other higher-end format. I  work in CorelDRAW for challenging designs and Visio for everything else.

The printing services advertise in MR and the Gazette.

I am avoiding discussing whether DIY inkjet printing with white ink is worth trying. I just don't know anything about it and have not seen a lot of discussions and articles suggesting (as we say in Florida) that the juice is worth the squeeze.

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Dale Buxton

The trucks under the "Wide Frame" CONOCO cars came from the by then defunct Ingoldsby dump bottom gons. These were 4' 8" arch bar trucks. Hobby lore has it that this just happened to be the truck that  Kadee patterned their HOn3 4' 8" trucks after.

Dale Buxton

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 7:26 PM Don Bergman <DBRenegade@...> wrote:
Bob V. asked....

[...]

thank you Brian for the reply.

ok, so, OF COURSE I do not have a laser printer.
and, you guessed it, I want the lettering in White.

ok, now for me to discuss this all with a friend of mine who is a computer guy.
 (I am not)
once I run this all past him and see if he thinks we can get  white ink and decal paper, dry transfer paper maybe? and so on, we'll give it a shot on an inkjet and i'll let you know how it goes.
(it will most likely be a while)
thanks again.
Kevin.

Climax@...

What keeps the lazer ink from running when you soak it in water to free the decal film?

The short answer is yes if you don't need to print white lettering or real high resolution. A color (or black only) laser printer can take decal paper and print on it like any other paper.

thank you Brian for the reply.

ok, so, OF COURSE I do not have a laser printer.
and, you guessed it, I want the lettering in White.

ok, now for me to discuss this all with a friend of mine who is a computer guy.
 (I am not)
once I run this all past him and see if he thinks we can get  white ink and decal paper, dry transfer paper maybe? and so on, we'll give it a shot on an inkjet and i'll let you know how it goes.
(it will most likely be a while)
thanks again.
Kevin.

Brian Kopp

Laser printer ink is not water soluble (unlike most inkjet ink). In fact it's mostly plastic powder (with a couple of market exceptions). Once its "baked" onto the decal paper by the laser printer its good to go.

In fact they make waterproof laser printer paper that works with your regular laser printer too!

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

Mick Moignard

 Dave

Varnish it after printing...

Mick

________________________________
Mick Moignard
m: +44 7774 652504
Skype: mickmoignard

The week may start M,T but it always ends WTF.

Brian Kopp

I mentioned I hadn't used the decals for the conoco cars yet but I did test one on a gloss black piece of plastic. See attached. Not perfect but ok. Scale the photo on the screen so it is about 3" across to get an idea of how it looks full size. That makes the edge scalloping less noticeable.
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

kevin b

Hello Brian.
left the entire email in below for frame of reference:

ok, long story short, I've been looking into making these decals, and or other decals.
the bottom line is, unless there is something out there I can't turn up, ink jet printing white is a no go.

so, laser printing is pretty much it.

now then, it takes a certain printer and a certain toner and so forth to print white.
and OF COURSE the white toner is very expensive.
the printer ain't 'zackly cheap neither.

alright, I intend to obtain the stuff it takes to print white decals.
i'm also looking into doing this on dry transfer paper, but, 1 hurdle at a time.
first, will be water slide decals.

as you have already posted the file for the tank cars, I take it you're at peace with someone else, me for example, using it?
I would like to confirm that however.

I would like to think that by the end of the month I will be able to successfully print these decals.
if, and or when, I can make it happen, i'll take a photo and put it on here etc.

ok, the work is in progress so to speak.
thanks.
Kevin.

[...]

You are welcome to use the PDF. It is a custom decal so if you are a stickler for details you might not like that the tank cars were tested in Silver City by the New Mexico Western Railroad (NMWRR), instead of Denver by the C&S.

That said, you might find a few takers (including me) who would buy a higher DPI decal from you for HOn3. I would love to get some 2400 DPI versions of the tank decal. The ones I have are not that high resolution.

Yes that was a passive-aggressive nudge for you to buy a higher end water-slide printer like the ones at alps-printer.com. =)

Regards
Brian

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL

kevin b

Hello Brian.

thank you very much for allowing me use of your PDF.

i feel as if i have been nudged.....
lol.....

so, first things first, the printer and ink is on order.
then figure out how to make it do right and so on.

i will keep the thread up to date as things develop.
lots of things going on right now, so, i hope i can have some kind of result by the end of the month.
we'll see.

[...]

well, already, problems.

1. the printer i said get, can't be had.

2. alps is out of business.

3. the white ink i'm told is available is for printers no longer being made.

so, at the moment, i'm in re-groupe mode.

results by the end of the month are now probably not possible.

i have not called it quits yet though.

Kevin.

Bill Lugg

There's several Alps printers on eBay (if that's what you're looking for): https://www.ebay.com/b/Alps-Printers/1245/bn_320493 - most of them look like junkers.  I'm not sure what model you're looking for.

And I found a refurbished MD5500 for a mere $5,500 here: https://www.e-scan.com/alps-md5500/.  It even comes with a laptop.

Bill Lugg

On 7/16/20 4:59 PM, kevin b via groups.io wrote:
well, already, problems.

1. the printer i said get, can't be had.

2. alps is out of business.

3. the white ink i'm told is available is for printers no longer being made.

so, at the moment, i'm in re-groupe mode.

results by the end of the month are now probably not possible.

i have not called it quits yet though.

Kevin.

hiroechan

Try searching for Ghost Inks, they sell white laser toner cartridges that fit standard printer models.