Topics

Conoco narrow gauge tank cars/ John Stutz

kevin b

hello John, All.

ok, i ordered one of the tank frames from shapeways.
it is a LOT closer to being the proper size for sure. close enough for me at least.
i have yet to try either of the Micro Trains couplers, but you're right, a 714 simply is NOT going to fit.
also, there is very little room for HOn3 truck rotation, but, i think maybe enough for all but the tightest radius turns.
i'll have to put trucks on it and see how it does.
also, it has good detail.
one complaint i have about the car is one end "droops"
just past where the truck mounts the frame itself bends down.
gonna foul up all kinds of coupler height IF it'll take a coupler.
on the other hand, it'd be Jim Dandy for a link and pin set up.

plus, it absolutely doesn't weigh nothing.
pretty much, i think i'm back to square one, i think it needs to be metal.

anybody got a good tip for how to straighten out the droopy end?

thanks.
Kevin.

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020, 01:59:00 AM CDT, John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:

Kevin

I purchased one of these a few years ago. While I have not put a micrometer to it, I believe it is about as close to scale as the technology allows, especially since the designer states that he was working mostly from the 1906 CBD drawing for the frame of the 6,000 gallon UTLX car.

Note that since this frame is scale size, it is too narrow to take Kadee 714 couplers. Probably also too narrow for the new Kadee HOn3 couplers. It should work with Micro Trains 1015 or 1016 couplers, like the PSC frameless VanDyke /Gramps tank kits which also have scale width coupler mountings. Or go with Sargent's scale Sharron version of the MCB couplers.

Mike Smith

Kevin and all,

When you order  the frame from Shapways also make an email request for the instructions.  You will need to acquire a few brass parts that will take care of the lack of weight. Also coupler instructions are included.

Mike.
Tucson  AZ

Sent from Mike's iPhone

On Aug 21, 2020, at 1:03 AM, kevin b via groups.io <arcatruck13@...> wrote:

[...]

thanks Mike.

i'll contact shapeways and see about the instructions.
appreciate the tip.
Kevin.
Whitesville Ky.