Central Valley trucks

John Stutz

The old zinc alloy Central Valley trucks were die-cast with a noticeable draft angle.  Being sprung, the angle at the top of the side frame's bolster slot tends to force the side frames to pinch the axle ends. IF the axles are tight in the sideframes, with no end play, filing or scraping this area square to the sideframe may free them, allowing the trucks to roll freely.  Only the top needs to be squared.  A slight reverse draft may be needed, but try just squaring first. We want the axles just free enough that end-wise play is detectable.

To remove truck springs, use a fine chisel pointed probe that can slip under one end and then be tipped down inside the spring, catching it as it jumps out..  A slightly curved tip may help.  When reinstalling springs, retain escapees by temporarily running a long loop of fine thread through the spring,

Rotary snowplow trucks were often not sprung, presumably to keep the hood from catching on the rails when plowing. Toneyk's front truck photo shows a near solid rubber pad arrangement that gave a bit of cushioning without yielding the way that springs would allow.  With sprung  trucks like the CVs, one can model this by cleaning out the spring seats and substituting a solid block for the springs.  For equalization, leave the block about .010" shallower than the opening, so the bolster is free enough to twist a little.

John Stutz

On Thursday, April 8, 2021, 05:51:29 AM PDT, Robert Bennett <ngbobme@...> wrote:

Hi Brian and All,

If you have,or have access to the 2015 HOn3 Annual, check out my article on work equipment. I described how I substituted old Central Valley archbar trucks for those in the kit. To be sure, it isn't perfect. The rotary hardly rolls at all but the "fix" looks better and my model, if it ever appears "in public,"  will just be on a siding. There isn't much room under the plow either for truck rotation. I also used Grandt trucks under the tender. It is a great old kit but as far as operation,not so good.

Best,  Bob Bennett

tonyk537

The CV trucks look nice converted but need to be widened for OM.  It has a standard gauge truck and axles with wheels set to 3'.

OO was the only one to have actual narrow gauge trucks.

Bryian Sones

Hi Tony, do you know OM actual wheel spec?
Is it a standard gauge 33 wheel set to 3' or 26 wheel set to 3'?
I think NWSL wheels allow you to move both wheels on the axel.
If that is the case, I can use the CV trucks with the NSWL wheel sets and set the wheels at 3'

Bryian Sones
D&RGW Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Friday, April 9, 2021, 09:18:34 PM PDT, tonyk537 via groups.io <tonyk375@...> wrote:

The CV trucks look nice converted but need to be widened for OM.  It has a standard gauge truck and axles with wheels set to 3'.

OO was the only one to have actual narrow gauge trucks.

Earl Knoob

OM has 26" wheels.  To use the CV trucks you would need to make a standard gauge bolster, and fit narrowed wheel sets to it.

Hi Tony, do you know OM actual wheel spec?
Is it a standard gauge 33 wheel set to 3' or 26 wheel set to 3'?
I think NWSL wheels allow you to move both wheels on the axel.
If that is the case, I can use the CV trucks with the NSWL wheel sets and set the wheels at 3'

Bryian Sones
D&RGW Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Friday, April 9, 2021, 09:18:34 PM PDT, tonyk537 via groups.io <tonyk375@...> wrote:

The CV trucks look nice converted but need to be widened for OM.  It has a standard gauge truck and axles with wheels set to 3'.

OO was the only one to have actual narrow gauge trucks.

Jim Spencer

I have an unbuilt standard gauge CV box car kit that has its original CV arch bar trucks. I also have several of their narrow gauge rack bar trucks. In comparing them, the side frames are identical castings. And the bolsters are identical except for length. Furthermore the axle diameters appear to be the same. The narrow gauge wheels appear to be 26”. So unless there is a shoulder on the axles, to me it appears the the narrow gauge wheels can be transposed over to the standard gauge axles, and, voila!, you will have the same squeezed in arrangement needed for the rotaries.

Bryian Sones

Jim,

I thought about that too but I couldn't get my wheel sets to move. They were probably pressed on.  I didn't try a wheel puller though.

However NWSL makes this HO Scale Wheelset, 26"/88, 2.0mm x 1.015" Pointed Axle (4/pkpkg)

If you have ever ordered from them then you know they make your wheel sets per order.
So I messaged them and asked if I could have the wheels set to their hon3 spec.
I am waiting for their reply.

Bryian Sones
D&RGW Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 03:08:30 PM PDT, Jim Spencer <trainmanjs@...> wrote:

I have an unbuilt standard gauge CV box car kit that has its original CV arch bar trucks. I also have several of their narrow gauge rack bar trucks. In comparing them, the side frames are identical castings. And the bolsters are identical except for length. Furthermore the axle diameters appear to be the same. The narrow gauge wheels appear to be 26”. So unless there is a shoulder on the axles, to me it appears the the narrow gauge wheels can be transposed over to the standard gauge axles, and, voila!, you will have the same squeezed in arrangement needed for the rotaries.

John Stutz

Jim

If these are the original "original Central Valley wheels", one wheel is pressed directly onto the axle and the other pressed over an insulating layer of lacquer.   The insulated side's wheel is not moveable, without risking shorting the wheel-set.   So substitute NWSL SG 26" wheel-sets, which can be re-gauged.  And use a NWSL puller, to preserve the needle point.

John Stutz

On April 10, 2021 3:08 PM Jim Spencer <trainmanjs@...> wrote:

I have an unbuilt standard gauge CV box car kit that has its original CV arch bar trucks. I also have several of their narrow gauge rack bar trucks. In comparing them, the side frames are identical castings. And the bolsters are identical except for length. Furthermore the axle diameters appear to be the same. The narrow gauge wheels appear to be 26”. So unless there is a shoulder on the axles, to me it appears the the narrow gauge wheels can be transposed over to the standard gauge axles, and, voila!, you will have the same squeezed in arrangement needed for the rotaries.

Bryian Sones

John,

So what I'm asking NWSL to do, they should be able to set them up for me. Correct?

Bryian Sones
D&RGW Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 04:07:14 PM PDT, John Stutz <john.stutz@...> wrote:

[...]

Climax@...

Funny how you just mentioning that brought back some memories of a trip my new wife and I made through Denver to San Francisco and then down to the LA area where we visited with I think I was Geoge Hook of Central Valley.  It was located in kind of an small industrial area, medium size building.  We walked in through the open front garage area and on our right side were a line of women on punch presses, after that another assembling side frames, never saw someone put springs in so quickly and rarely lose any.  Then she put them on a test track where they rolled down an incline and into a tray.  The track had a light bulb which went on if there was a short.  On our left side as we walked in were stacks of prepainted plywood for cars and assembly boxes.  Then there were 55 gallon drums full of wheels, axles, trays of thousands of springs, and other parts for cars.  Over the years the cars are still being built and are just right for some of us period modelers.  I do a lot of repair work and if the finish is really screwed up I refinish the cars and put Clover Dry Transfers on them.  You can see my efforts on www.SierraScaleModels.com and look for the craftsman car section.  I have done over a hundred refinishes. They might not be HOn3 but still quality cars for ideas.

[...]

Brian

In principle, yes.  Practically speaking, this is probably something they are not set up to do, certainly not on a production basis.  So this will be a custom job,  and they will need to add an extra charge to recover the cost of the requested work.  Which you should expect to run a good deal more than the cost of one of their Pullers.  Custom work isn't cheap.

John Stutz