Topics

Central Valley N Scale Thru Truss

Dusty

Something to think about. I did this some time ago. It looks sort of wimpy but it might solve someone's bridge problem?

Dusty Burman

John Stutz

Actually Dusty, there are several existing DSP&P truss spans that are not much if any lighter, in proportion, than your model:

- A ~90' through truss over the South Platt River at Bailey's McGraw Memorial Park . This was relocated from the Mill Gulch crossing of the South Platt near Waterton, to the present site, in 1978-85. It is a 6-panel through Pratt built by the Keystone bridge Co., for an unknown customer, and purchased by the C&S "... sometime prior to 1903 ...". I estimate a circa 1880 construction date, so could be original DSP&P. Keystone used wrought iron tubular posts and eyebars with cast iron joint blocks- similar to the better known Phoenix - but of square or hexagonal section instead of circular section.

- A 80' 6-panel deck Pratt truss on the DSP&P Chalk creek grade at Pomeroy Gulch near Romely, which was long used by the Chalk Creek road, at map location (38.675055, -106.364834).
See: <http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Bridges-at-Romley-td4218.html>.

- A pair of ~128' 8-panel through Pratt trusses spanning the Gunnison River just north of Gunnison.
- An extremely light 5-panel through Pratt of about 64' length, spanning Ohio Creek about 900' NW of the Gunnison River crossing. This is undoubtedly the span that dictated the retention of a C-16 to work the Ohio Creek branch, being too light to risk any heavier locomotive.

The Gunnison River and Ohio Creek spans are located deep in private property, preserved for ranch access, and the generation that allowed me to photograph these bridges, about 25 years ago, has now passed. However the Gunnison River is open to rafting and kayaks, at least in normal times,, and I have seen photos taken from the river. .
But see: <http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Gunnison-River-bridge-td10339.html#a10384>
and <http://c-sng-discussion-forum.41377.n7.nabble.com/Ohio-Creek-bridge-td10353.html>

John Stutz