Topics

Centerline N Scale Rail Cleaner

Dusty

I saw this on Ebay and now I'm the proud owner. Anyone use this for Hon3? What kind of modifications do you suggest? Or is this not a really practical adaptation of this unit. Someone has performed modifications for Hon3 but I'm interested in other ideas for this modification.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Wayne

Years ago I was into N scale and tried one of these.  I found it useless.  Switched to HOn3 in the 90's.

--
Wayne Taylor

Ric Case

Dusty I use the Ho standard gauge model with the hon3 adapter kit.
I also have a set of track cleaners modified to fit in the frame . Drag it around the layout a few times and generally everything works great!
Can attach photos of my adaptations if you would like!
I have looked for a n gauge car for awhile !
Not sure of the dimensions as there is a possible problem with the width of the roller and the gauge of the rail in hon3 .
Really I was thinking of just installing hon3 trucks to see if it would work!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Nov 21, 2020, at 6:24 PM, Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

I saw this on Ebay and now I'm the proud owner. Anyone use this for Hon3? What kind of modifications do you suggest? Or is this not a really practical adaptation of this unit. Someone has performed modifications for Hon3 but I'm interested in other ideas for this modification.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707
<20201121_160847.jpg>
<20201121_160922.jpg>

Climax@...

The only problem I can see is if you have anything that may be it by it by being too close to the track.

[...]

My standard gauge car does strike a couple of ground throws it certain areas! Though it is not a true problem!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Nov 21, 2020, at 7:22 PM, Climax@... wrote:

[...]

The other thing I find is that I use it for track clearances when doing scenery and setting buildings near the rail! Bonus!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Nov 21, 2020, at 7:31 PM, Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:

[...]

Ric, it's interesting you mention size with regard to roller width. My 'stealth' box car track cleaning dragger project emphasized how important width is in relation to gauge. The dragger pad needs to be as wide as possible and still fit between the outside queen posts.  Looking at the width of the roller I wonder if I may need something to keep the roller near center. Maybe a nylon button on each end of the roller. Maybe a slightly wider roller. I have built several roller cars patterned after the HO version and they appear to be more stable. I guess I'll make new extensions and see how it works. Who knows, the N scale version may be too small. Try it and see what happens, huh.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707

Russ Norris

I bought a brass variation at the NNGCin Sacramento.  The Caboose Hobby guy who sells those plastic ground throws was selling them.  They have a hole in the middle you drop in a brass cylinder wrapped in some kind of mesh.  You add a couple of drops of cleaner on the cylinder and it rolls along cleaning the track.  It works really well and the whole contraption is the right size to drop a reefer shell over it. I can send pictures.

Russ

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020, 7:33 PM Ric Case <ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
[...]

NarrowMinded1

Dusty,

Centerline produces an HOn3 version with Kadee #720 trucks and #714 couplers that can be hidden under a Blackstoe or Rail Line boxcar. MSRP $74 but I'm a dealer and I can sell them for $66.60 plus first class shipping at cost.

Nathan Kline

--
Nathan Kline
Tiadaghton Valley Railroad & Coal Co.

Mark Kasprowicz

Is this the one where the roller sits at a slight angle to the track direction? I've got one but never used it because I was afraid it was too abraisive. I've tried a few 'in train' track cleaners but in the end always come back to the Haydon/ Frairy masonite pad mounted on two nails under a RailLine box car. Simple, cheap and it works.

Mark K
Oxon England

lloyd lehrer

yes. it sits at a slight angle. The cratex abrasive is not hard on the track.  it has no extra weight on it and when I clean the roller, there is no evidence of NS being removed.
lloyd lehrer, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (310)951-9097

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:27 PM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
Is this the one where the roller sits at a slight angle to the track direction? I've got one but never used it because I was afraid it was too abraisive. I've tried a few 'in train' track cleaners but in the end always come back to the Haydon/ Frairy masonite pad mounted on two nails under a RailLine box car. Simple, cheap and it works.

Mark K
Oxon England

--
lloyd lehrer

John Stutz

Dusty

It looks like this was adapted from a version that used truck mounted couplers, and whoever did the adaption tried to duplicate that arrangement.  Unless the coupler extension plates are rigidly attached to the body casting, and the trucks free to pivot underneath, I anticipate your having considerable trouble with derailments, due to the trucks tipping under the prying actin of the off center load on the coupler extensions.

I would shorten the casting's pivot post so it rides at the desired height when carried directly on the trucks.  Then shorten the inner end of the coupler extensions and open their center holes so they fit over the casting's pivot posts.  Solder the extensions to the posts, allowing a little clearance for the truck bolsters, and adjust the coupler height.  You may need to narrow the extensions to clear the wheels on tight curves.

This will give a body that behaves like an ordinary car, while shortening the truck pivot centers, which reduces roller offset on tight curves.

Jon Stutz

On November 21, 2020 3:24 PM Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

I saw this on Ebay and now I'm the proud owner. Anyone use this for Hon3? What kind of modifications do you suggest? Or is this not a really practical adaptation of this unit. Someone has performed modifications for Hon3 but I'm interested in other ideas for this modification.

Dusty Burman
623 261-8707
_
W,_

Russ Norris

This is the device I bought at the NNGC in Sacramento.  Works fine for me.  I run it periodically and afterward the roller has streaks of black removed from the rails but it's not abrasive to the NS.

Russ

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020, 2:27 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
Is this the one where the roller sits at a slight angle to the track direction? I've got one but never used it because I was afraid it was too abraisive. I've tried a few 'in train' track cleaners but in the end always come back to the Haydon/ Frairy masonite pad mounted on two nails under a RailLine box car. Simple, cheap and it works.

Mark K
Oxon England

Mike Smith

Dusty,

I use a Centerline Ho roller on my Hon3 layout.  All I did was change the trucks.  The couplers do not line up, but the car is so heavy I push it downhill anyway with a slider car behind it.  (The masonite pad with two nails under a box car.) It works great, especially in the tunnels!    On some of my slider cars, I use a stick-on pad from Dr. Sholls. (I think I spelled that correctly, it is found in a drugstore)  The cut to size footpad.  It absorbs the moisture and dirt the roller loosens.

I also have a Cratex roller car that was made by Aztec and sits under a Narrow Gauge C&S Refer.  I don't think Aztec is in business anymore.  Their car sold for $100 at the time so I only purchased one.  It looks like the Blackstone conversion that started this thread.  I repainted mine for an RGS refer.

Mike Smith
Tucson

On Sunday, November 22, 2020, 04:18:28 AM MST, Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:

This is the device I bought at the NNGC in Sacramento.  Works fine for me.  I run it periodically and afterward the roller has streaks of black removed from the rails but it's not abrasive to the NS.

Russ

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020, 2:27 AM Mark Kasprowicz <mark@...> wrote:
Is this the one where the roller sits at a slight angle to the track direction? I've got one but never used it because I was afraid it was too abraisive. I've tried a few 'in train' track cleaners but in the end always come back to the Haydon/ Frairy masonite pad mounted on two nails under a RailLine box car. Simple, cheap and it works.

Mark K
Oxon England

Tranz4mr@...

Replace the trucks and couplers adjust the height with shims and it should work fine. I’ve converted CMX and  Trackman N gauge track cleaners with great success. No reason you can’t figure it out for centerline.

Kent Schwarz
NMRA
“Keep calm and run model trains"!
www.Tranz4mr.com
Tranz4mr@...
Cell 303-718-2636

--
Kent Schwarz
SLMI layout club

Dale Buxton

Nathan,

I looked for these on the Centerline web site but couldn't find them. I noticed that the instructions you posted are dated for Spring of this year. So I guessing that is why they are not in the manufacturers yet?

Dale Buxton

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 21:36 NarrowMinded1 <nathan.kline83@...> wrote:
Dusty,

Centerline produces an HOn3 version with Kadee #720 trucks and #714 couplers that can be hidden under a Blackstoe or Rail Line boxcar. MSRP $74 but I'm a dealer and I can sell them for $66.60 plus first class shipping at cost.

Nathan Kline

--
Nathan Kline
Tiadaghton Valley Railroad & Coal Co.
McConnellsburg, PA
Web: https://www.tiadaghtonvalleyrr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TiadaghtonValleyRailroad/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVJMoICFWw9Muse6xm8moiQ

Mark Kasprowicz

Push or Pull. Logically the track cleaner should be ahead of the loco, shouldn't it? I have an N gauge CMX car and only use it very occasionally and and then I push it around the track using a couple of Alco DL 535's (followed by a Masonite pad with two nails under a box car).

Meanwhile it's back to fitting TSU2 decoders into Blackstone K-27's which sounded great when first released but compared to the BS C-19's sound thin. Two done, two to go. PW 455 on the bench now.

Mark K
Oxon England.

NarrowMinded1

Dale,

The owner of Centerline Products has just returned these to production after a redesign and has not updated the website yet. The conversion PDF's were given to me by the owner who received them from a customer. I have not gotten a chance to add them to the http://www.nateslightironhobbies.com/store/ website yet either.

Nathan

"Nathan,

I looked for these on the Centerline web site but couldn't find them. I noticed that the instructions you posted are dated for Spring of this year. So I guessing that is why they are not in the manufacturers yet?

Dale Buxton"

--
Nathan Kline
Tiadaghton Valley Railroad & Coal Co.
McConnellsburg, PA
Web: https://www.tiadaghtonvalleyrr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TiadaghtonValleyRailroad/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVJMoICFWw9Muse6xm8moiQ

Dale Buxton

I understand. I thought that might be the case. I think I’d like to order one. What do I need to do?

Dale Buxton

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 11:44 NarrowMinded1 <nathan.kline83@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian Kopp

Inquiring minds also want to know how to order them Nathan. =)

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL