Topics

BS K-27 motors?

bassb04011

So do pretty much all 2006 run BS K-27s need to be remotored? I have one coming I think is 2007 but assume that’s still considered part of the 2006 run?
Is there a particular motor that is best for this model?
Thanks
Brian

Mark Lewis

Brian:

The Blackstone K27's were released in 2006, 2010 and 2012 and only the 2006 release had an issue with over oiled motors, from the overseas manufacturer.

I owned a 2006 release #455/green boiler K27, that never exhibited any of the over oiling symptoms, while I owned operated it and I sold it about 2 years ago and the current owner has not had any issues with the motor, either.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 3:57 PM bassb04011 <fishingmaine@...> wrote:
So do pretty much all 2006 run BS K-27s need to be remotored? I have one coming I think is 2007 but assume that’s still considered part of the 2006 run?
Is there a particular motor that is best for this model?
Thanks
Brian

Mark Kasprowicz

The K-27 motor sits tightly in a cradle. As well as a worm gear the shaft carries the chuff sync wheel. So it's not the easiest to find a replacement for. I managed to convert a Masima to fit only to be told by someone on this list that it was not powerful enough to be seriously considered. Mine still works.

Not all DCC K-27's were affected. There was at the time a method of burning out the oil by applying DC to the motor alone, by-passing the short circuit detection part of the decoder. It still applies. The outer two pins of the drawbar connector feed the motor and if you apply 12v DC down those pins the motor will splutter for a while and then start emiting a small could of burnt off oil. I assume the DC only versions could be fixed by running them flat out.

Blackstone were selling replacement motors for $25. Not sure whether they still have them. I've not tried taking the motor out and running it in a vise for a period of time and at various angles to coax the last of the oil out.

Mark K

Robert Bell

Brian,
The early "fix" for the motors was to give a shot of straight 12v to the motor.  I found this to be at best, a temporary solution.  Since I didn't have a layout for many years, it wasn't a problem.  But, when I started my layout two years ago, it was worse.  When, I disassembled the loco (again), and applied the 12v, the best the motor would do was maybe 1/2 speed with wisps of smoke rolling out.  So, I called Blackstone.

IF you have issues with the motor, contact Josh at BS.  For $29.95 (a year and a half ago) I got the replacement motor with the optical censor AND gear box assembled.  You will have to remove the boiler, and a couple of screws to replace the assembly.  Honestly, removing the boiler is the toughest part of the process.

Attached are pictures of the motor assembly.  Good luck!

Rob Bell
Modeling the WP&YR in
Waynesville, NC

bassb04011

Thanks for the info everyone.
Brian

On Nov 8, 2019, at 8:18 AM, Robert Bell via Groups.Io <ionhoss@...> wrote:

[...]

<20180729_160627.jpg>

<20180729_160619.jpg>

<20180729_160627.jpg>
<20180729_160619.jpg>

Robert Bell

Oh, that $29.95 included shipping!

Rob

Craig Linn

I gotta say the upgrade wasn’t too bad at all...just take your time and keep your screws separate for each step.

I did get a new motor assembly about a year ago and at that point they said they were starting to get low. So if you are considering it...make sure you get moving on contacting Blackstone.

Craig

On Nov 8, 2019, at 6:22 AM, Robert Bell via Groups.Io <ionhoss@...> wrote:

Oh, that $29.95 included shipping!

Rob

NarrowMinded1

I heard if you spray some CRC 2-26 in at the bearings and run it until it poofs a wisp of smoke that will fix the problem. Any truth in that?
--
Nathan Kline
Tiadaghton Valley Railroad & Coal Co.