Topics

Blackstone K-27

Paul Sturtz

My best loco #463 is on the deadline due to a stupid mistake by the maintenance supervisor (guess who?) who may have accidentally touched a wire to the wrong spot during wheel cleaning.  There were momentary sparks after which ol' 463 refused to budge.  Sounds and lights only but zero movement.  Did the super fry the decoder?
Name withheld due to shame!

lloyd lehrer

Paul, carefully try dc 12v directly to the outside pins on the loco side of the plug with the loco upside down. That is direct connection to the motor.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

--
lloyd lehrer

Don Bergman

I always feared touching the other pins with 12V DC as well so....
When applying direct DC to a Blackstone loco when I needed to burn off the oil, I always slipped some stripped wire insulation over the nearby pins.

Don Bergman

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019, 12:14 PM Paul Sturtz <apa_208@...> wrote:
My best loco #463 is on the deadline due to a stupid mistake by the maintenance supervisor (guess who?) who may have accidentally touched a wire to the wrong spot during wheel cleaning.  There were momentary sparks after which ol' 463 refused to budge.  Sounds and lights only but zero movement.  Did the super fry the decoder?
Name withheld due to shame!

--

bob.meckley@...

I fried my Blackstone 453 with static electricity and sent it to Durango for repairs. Back with a new decoder.
Bob Meckley

Mark Kasprowicz

Stuff happens. It sounds as if the decoders motor output has failed. Having said that I am at a loss to figure out what you could have touched while wheel cleaning that could have done this. Nor why sparks flew. Unless the loco and tender were stripped down.
As always try CV8=8 and recycle the power before anything else. Applying DV volts to the outside of the drawbar pins will prove that the motor still works which I suspect it will. (BTW I bought a spare BS drawbar harness and just plug the locos in whenever they need a oil out. Not too often now.)
Not a super-fry where nothing works and there is a burnt bit on the decoder board, but enough for a return trip to Blackstone for some TLC. You might call them before if only to figure what you touched sent the thing off in the first place.

Mark K
Oxon, England.

Paul Sturtz

I had one lead clipped to a tender axle, the other touching the driver wheel tread.  I just move the driver a quarter turn, clean and repeat.  Accidentally slipped off the driver and touched the frame.  I have done it this way for years but old age and shaky hands caused the slip.  Sounds like a trip to Durango is in the future.  Always afraid they will mess up the details like the cab doors and lose them. Thanks for all the advice.
Paul+

tonyk537

And they are very nice cab doors!

Mark Kasprowicz

That shouldn't have caused the decoder to smoke - it's a simple short! Perhaps a spike in the supply but then why not the whole decoder, just the motor circuit. I'd ask Soundtraxx what they make of it. As for losing the detail, consider removing the bodies before sending off.

Mark K

Paul Sturtz

Yup, it's the decoder alright...….

Paul

bob.meckley@...

Paul:
    you mentioned using only one tender truck for power pickup. They are opposite polarity. I use a foam cradle and with the engine upside down use clip leads from my programming track to each tender axle and run the engine cleaning the engine wheels.

Paul Sturtz

Now you tell me!  I'll try that next time and thanks for  that good info!
Paul

Paul Sturtz

Not to belabor this thread but today is a miracle day.  First, my Westside Models Heisler #3 began running like a top after a week of fiddling with installing a new stock type open frame motor.  I haven't touched 463 since the day it stopped running and parked it with the 5 finger switcher as you saw it.  Just for the heck of it, I decided to energize the track, opened the throttle and the sounds came on but I almost ran it into the turntable pit!  It's running again after sitting for a week or more.  Somebody must have sneaked in last night.