Topics

Blackstone C19 tender modification question

George Pierson

Hi, all,

I'm new to the list so I hope my question has not been already worked over.  I love my Blackstone C19's.  I use them on my Tuscarora Valley RR, and central PA n.g. pike.  My one complaint is that the stock Blackstone tender is a typical D&RGW higher side tender with an air tank.  Eastern 2-8-0's of this vintage often had smaller lower-sided tenders - which is what I'd like to do to my model.  BUT the decoder board is mounted relatively high, necessitating the use of a high-side tender.  This allows for space underneath for the stock speaker frame.

Here's my question: what do you all think of removing the decoder board, removing the existing speaker frame and speaker, replacing it with a lower profile speaker, then cutting down the four posts holding up the decoder board, and re-attaching the decoder board?  This would allow me to use a lower profile tender shell.

Your thoughts?

George Pierson

tonyk537

You can get a somewhat lower profile shell with the stock electronics.  These two oil bunkers are al low as you can get over everything.

Bill Miller

Western Rails makes a 3-D printed replacement tender shell that Looks more eastern Narrow Gauge that fits over the tender electronics.    https://western-rails.com/

 Bill Miller

[...]

Jeff Young

Fantastic weathering on #64!

Mark Kasprowicz

George,

I do not see why not. Provided there is enough clearance for the underside of the circuit board not to foul any metal parts then something like a sugar cube speaker would allow you a few precious millimetres. In fact if the speaker was placed in the coal load pointing up rather than down then the saving could be substantial.
Now if this was a BS K-27 I'd be saying chuck the old board out and fit a TSU2! But the C-19 sound was a big improvement on previous projects as Sound traxx were working with fresh recordings.

Mark K

Robert Bell

Tony, what did you use for the tender body?  It looks great!

Rob Bell

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 3:06 AM, tonyk537 via Groups.Io
<Tonyk375@...> wrote:
You can get a somewhat lower profile shell with the stock electronics.  These two oil bunkers are al low as you can get over everything.
_._,_._,_

LenTRaley

Tony:

What did you use for the oil tender shells on your CB&Q #536 and the C&NWR #64?
Great looking models.

Thanks and be well,

Len Raley

lloyd lehrer

Len, I bought the water tender version of the western rails tenders and the quality is superb.
lloyd lehrer, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (310)951-9097

--
lloyd lehrer

LenTRaley

Lloyd:

I have checked out that one and it certainly looks good and at a very fair price. I was wondering if Tony had
another source. I'm going to order a couple of the Western Rails units.

Merry Christmas and be well,

Len